Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,986 of 7,535
I just received my HD 598s (BB $150 price match of Fry's). While I will admit, I do wish that they had a tad more bass hit then they do, everything else.... WOW.....  First off I'm running them with my e11. The sound-stage is great, I love hearing all the different instruments and they are so clear. I'm coming from IEMs (262s so quality  ones) and m50s, so not amazing sound-stage. Voices are also pretty amazing, especially female. I know the Re-262s were suppose to be top notch for this, but believe the 598 blows them out of the water on female voices. 

The comfort is amazing too. I've tried several HPs which claim to be over the ears, but still touch either the top or bottom of the ear which I hate. The HD 598 just touch my head, no ears. I wear hearing aids and genuinely believe I should be able to wear them with the 598s as they won't be touching the pads. My one last gripe is the cable. The end on that thing is unwieldy to say the least! I will definitely will be asking for a different cable for Christmas. 

I have one question for people though. I would like to get a cheap DAC for my laptop. I was thinking the e10, but have read that any DAC/amp should be at least 6 times lower Ohms (not sure if I'm stating this correctly) than the HPs. The e10 low end in Ohms are 10, so that'd be less than 6 times lower. Is this an issue and should I try something else, or would you still suggest the e10.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,987 of 7,535
Just recently got a Schiit Bifrost to go with my Asgaard for my HD598s. While the sound with just the Asgaard was great, now it has opened up even more with the addition of the Bifrost. I'm really happy as I was a bit skeptical about how much difference it would make, but it clearly makes a big difference. 

Haven't had an outboard DAC for my main system before (I use an Audioengine D1 for the desktop, and that works great). I can't imagine much improvement over this Schiit combo - highly recommended for 598s!

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #2,988 of 7,535
  I have one question for people though. I would like to get a cheap DAC for my laptop. I was thinking the e10, but have read that any DAC/amp should be at least 6 times lower Ohms (not sure if I'm stating this correctly) than the HPs. The e10 low end in Ohms are 10, so that'd be less than 6 times lower. Is this an issue and should I try something else, or would you still suggest the e10.

E10 output more or less 0.5 ohm, so no need to worry on that end. The E10 does a fine job with HD558/598 for the money. Just don't use the line out, it's pretty bad in my experience.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,989 of 7,535
I was just at a Best Buy and their new Magnolia home listening room had the Momentums and Hd 558. I tested them out with my phone and e11 and I was amazed at how smaller the Soundstage was and the lack of instrument separation/ clarity compared to the Hd 598. Granted both had better bass, but I was at least expecting the 558s to have a closer sounstage and some of the clarity of the 598, but no. 

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,994 of 7,535
It seems to be a regional thing. Others have said they've seen the 598 at Best Buy. Like you, Magnolias near me have the 558 but not the 598.

It is just nice to see a big chain store actually having any listening stations. I'm lucky in that my fiancée lives in the same town as the actual crutchfield store, but I'm not normally down ther(2 hours south)

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #2,996 of 7,535
I am so glad I dont live near Crutchfield!

Haha. It's pretty awesome. One store is in the same town as UVA, while the other is in this small town called Harrisonburg in the middle of nowhere virginia . They have at least 5-10 midfi headphones on display. That's how I heard the sr80s, HE-300, 598s as well as some others I weren't a fan of. I wit more stores had headphones to try out.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2,998 of 7,535
At least you all can drive to places to try headphones out. I'd have to fly there since I live in Hawaii. :wink:

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,999 of 7,535
Hey, ya.

It has been a long time that I have not visited this thread so today I played with some Foobar DSPs such as crossfeed, crossfafe, and EQ. My combo is Odac-C421-HD598 really a nice combo for movies, games but music is just good not great. Sometimes I found the HD598 is bright, harsh in the treble and the voice is laid-back and not aggressive so not good for some high vocals as I want and the peak around 9-10Khz so I EQ this down a little bit and it works for me, besides if you feel the volume on HD985 is too loud because of the high sensitive and low impedance then try the crossfeed really make the soundstage more 3d a little and you can use more volume on it.

I guess it is time for me to look, try and buy a better headphone or maybe I just keep HD598 for movies and games only. Thanks and have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back