Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,956 of 7,535
  If people already haven't noticed, these headphones are for multimedia, and make sound great for watching movies etc. Not recommended for music. Reading the specs one should understand:

1. High-end open circumaural headphones with E.A.R. technology for outstanding sonic accuracy and clarity
  2. Highly optimised, field-strengthened neodymium ferrous magnet systems for an excellent dynamic response
  3. Surround reflector for extended spatial sound field
  4. Sennheiser's innovative "Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement" (E.A.R.) design channels audio signals directly into your ears

You're too apparent, mr troll.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,957 of 7,535

If anything they're medicore for movies because there's no "theater like bass" but that's personal taste. I still wear my 558's though because they're very comfortable. Also, i read the specs, and it says nothing about "awesome for movies, bad for music". 

I agree with this assessment 100%. Although I also watch movies with these on, due to them being super comfortable and having such a lengthy cable.

I can now watch movies as loud as I like, and I don't have to worry about disturbing the entire household. I LOVE it!

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,958 of 7,535
AKG K240 sounds like "more warmth and less treble" compared to HD598. What do others think? They are quite detailed too, as studio phones they are.

I much prefer my 598s to my K240M. Then again my K240 is 600 ohm and most likely starved for power by my fiio e10.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #2,960 of 7,535
Can you even get sound out of those with E10?

Haha yea but its a bit anemic. sounds good with my vintage Zenith MC7050 receiver.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,961 of 7,535

If anything they're medicore for movies because there's no "theater like bass" but that's personal taste. I still wear my 558's though because they're very comfortable. Also, i read the specs, and it says nothing about "awesome for movies, bad for music".

Really, the only person who doesn't like this headphone, that have tried it, are the bassheads. I've let around 10+ people try my 558's and they all love them except for my brother, my brother also has 2 giant subwoofers in the trunk of his car... go figure.

The thing about 598s is they are so accurate - if there is not much bass in the recording there won't be much bass heard, but if there is bass it will be heard, accurately. I hear plenty of bass punch when it's in the recording.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,962 of 7,535
The thing about 598s is they are so accurate - if there is not much bass in the recording there won't be much bass heard, but if there is bass it will be heard, accurately. I hear plenty of bass punch when it's in the recording.

I have to agree. I never understood the "bass light" claims. Unhyped is more like it to me. With EDM I do prefer better low extension and the thump and pressure of a closed can. For a rock band with real drums and guitars I love how natural the 598 sounds.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,964 of 7,535
I just purchased a HD 598 at Fry's for 149.95. I am very impressed with these overall.
The bass is there but is not exaggerated. The mids and treble are balanced. The treble is very smooth sounding.
I have them plugged into a Schiit Asgard (original). So far these are a great value.

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #2,965 of 7,535
Congrats. Used them on the original asgard as well about a year and a half ago. That was my first set-up. Hollywood themes and big orchestral pieces will work well with that pairing, IIRC.

Take care not to get the upgrade bug too early though. Welcome, and sorry about your wallet. :D

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2,966 of 7,535
Also bought this from Frys.  Still waiting for it to be delivered.  I probably need a DAC and amp to pair it with.  I'm considering the Magni-Modi stack, though a cheap tube amp might work also.  Which option is the best for the <$300 budget?

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #2,967 of 7,535
oops

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2,968 of 7,535
I just purchased a HD 598 at Fry's for 149.95. I am very impressed with these overall.
The bass is there but is not exaggerated. The mids and treble are balanced. The treble is very smooth sounding.
I have them plugged into a Schiit Asgard (original). So far these are a great value.

Great deal! I paid the full $249 for mine a year and a half ago and I still feel like got a bargain. Love'em! I just ordered a Little Dot I+. I'll let you guys know how I like it with the 598.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,969 of 7,535
Also bought this from Frys.  Still waiting for it to be delivered.  I probably need a DAC and amp to pair it with.  I'm considering the Magni-Modi stack, though a cheap tube amp might work also.  Which option is the best for the <$300 budget?

For $300, mayhap Modi and Magni AND Vali! From all accounts here, they will be the most viable in terms of price to performance.

Then there's the HRT range of products. Managed to listen to a headstreamer before and it worked well for the HD598, but I have a feeling it might not suffice for harder to drive cans IF you decide to upgrade...let me rephrase that...WHEN you upgrade. :)

The Modi>Magni/Vali will give you future flexibility for the budget you have stated.

While I have no personal experience with the pair, it has been said that they come close to the old Asgard/Bifrost, and if true, that's great value indeed.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #2,970 of 7,535
For $300, mayhap Modi and Magni AND Vali! From all accounts here, they will be the most viable in terms of price to performance.

Then there's the HRT range of products. Managed to listen to a headstreamer before and it worked well for the HD598, but I have a feeling it might not suffice for harder to drive cans IF you decide to upgrade...let me rephrase that...WHEN you upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Modi>Magni/Vali will give you future flexibility for the budget you have stated.

While I have no personal experience with the pair, it has been said that they come close to the old Asgard/Bifrost, and if true, that's great value indeed.

The Vali looks very promising, but won't double amping produce noise or degrade the sound in some way?  I'm not even sure I would keep the HD 598 since I'll probably give them away as a X-mas gift.  Closed cans probably suit my immediate lifestyle more, and when I do get a pair of open cans I might go for a modded T50RP. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back