Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2,852 of 7,535
Nah I've never heard benefits of burn-in, neither do I believe in it.

It took time to get used to the sound, because I had been using massive V eq on my daps before, and was used to a muffled sound.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,853 of 7,535
You won't appreciate the sound if you're a basshead. If you're not a basshead though and all you've ever used is crap $30 headphones, then hell yeah you'll appreciate them! lol

Only thing you might notice with burn in is a small increase in bass impact and extension, and maybe the sound stage gets a little wider... don't expect too much change though. If you're not satisfied with the bass you can equalize and even get bass boost type amps... but if you're that concerned with bass thump then you made the wrong purchase. I think the bass in my modded 558's are perfect.. but everyone has different preferences. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,854 of 7,535
I'd argue that the 598's definitely sound better after hours of playing them overnight with some trap/edm music.. out the box the low end was absolutely anemic..

After much usage.. it's more tolerable.. still meh.. but much more tolerable.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2,856 of 7,535
The amount of bass isn't a big priority for me. I value the comfort and natural sound higher, which the 598 according to reviews has. And I have already placed my order, so regardless it's too late for any regrets (I don't believe I will have any though). :)

I'm also skeptic towards burn in, but on the same time it seems almost impossible to read headphone impressions and discussions without burn in being mentioned.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #2,857 of 7,535
I think you will find the 598s good value for money. They've come down considerably in price, and they are more of a bargain now than ever. 

Bass is not the main focus of these cans, but the bass does benefit from proper amplification. They don't need much though, but driving them straight from the phone vs. even just a FiiO E17 or Asgard, you will come to appreciate them more with amplification. 

I don't know how much burn in really affects the sound percentage-wise. I've seen measurements that seem to imply there should be a change, but from personal experience, the change mostly comes from your ears adjusting to the headphone sound signature. Do I think burn will have an effect on sound? yes but not as dramatic a change as your brain finally "getting" the sound signature.

Don't take this as gospel, though, as you will find many a head-fier who will say the exact opposite - burn in has more of an effect than physiological adjustment. The best way is to make up your own mind, methinks. Enjoy the journey of hearing the changes occur.

On a separate note, try looking up Stephen A. Jackson - Spirituals, and Ben Howard. Really nice music on the 598s. I think these play to the 598's strengths.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #2,859 of 7,535
I remember they used to cost 349 US. Now you can get them for 200-ish on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Burl-Wood-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382345629&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+598

I remember I got mine a while ago for about US.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #2,862 of 7,535
  Ordered a HD 598 yesterday along with a FiiO E10 DAC. It will be my first "real" pair of headphones, I have only had ones for ~30 bucks up until now, so it will be really fun. Can't wait. :)

You should have orderd other DAC/AMP. I used HD598 and Fiio E10 last year and that combo really disappointed me. Please try  a Fiio E17 or save more money to buy better DAC/AMP.

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2,864 of 7,535
  You should have orderd other DAC/AMP. I used HD598 and Fiio E10 last year and that combo really disappointed me. Please try  a Fiio E17 or save more money to buy better DAC/AMP.

Works fine for me, then again i've never had a top tier amp/dac. What disappointed you about it? Too dark? Everyone has different preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back