Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #2,821 of 7,535
I'm still baffled that I can't find a replacement headband cushion to purchase. You would imagine that Sennheiser would have some in stock considering it's simply a sticker-like part. Mine are flat as a pancake now :frowning2: 

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2,822 of 7,535
  I'm still baffled that I can't find a replacement headband cushion to purchase. You would imagine that Sennheiser would have some in stock considering it's simply a sticker-like part. Mine are flat as a pancake now :frowning2: 

I am baffled, but it does make life easier for me.  I'm not a fan of the unyielding pleather... and the fact it's cracking apart for me doesn't bode well for a replacement.  Since it is glued on... I'm considering just buying the 558 velour pad.  Also considering doing the same with the earpads. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #2,823 of 7,535
Good price on Amazon uk at the moment.
I've just ordered a pair at £137.67 inc delivery as an upgrade to my 8 year old HD497s.

I've always been very happy with the 497s and have never been able to find anyone who
had compared them with the 598, so I'll be interested to see how big an upgrade they are.

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #2,825 of 7,535
Forgot who asked about this cable a few pages back.. but it took 2 weeks to get from China.. overall.. very happy with it. 

Better clarity, bigger soundstage, detailed bass, fuller mids, crisper highs. I'm blown away.

jk.. on the tracks I tested back and forth.. there was little to no change in sound. :p

Some comparison pictures of the cables.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,827 of 7,535
Oct 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,830 of 7,535
Sucks they don't ship to the Philippines. The others on the second link however do. Has anyone tried the ones from the second link and compared how they sound? 

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,831 of 7,535
Hello all.

I just received my HD-598 in the mail today. I literally just got home from work, and they were here waiting on me.

Now I have possibly the dumbest HP related question ever.

Is it safe to use these on a seriously underpowered HP jack?

Literally, I mean my laptops built in Realtek HD audio card, and my 5th gen ipod video?

I just want to make sure, I will not hurt them from under powering them (and trying to play loud), like you can with conventional speakers.

This is my first pair of "audiophile" HPs and I just want to make sure that I am treating them with care.

Thanks! :)

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,832 of 7,535
  Hello all.

I just received my HD-598 in the mail today. I literally just got home from work, and they were here waiting on me.

Now I have possibly the dumbest HP related question ever.

Is it safe to use these on a seriously underpowered HP jack?

Literally, I mean my laptops built in Realtek HD audio card, and my 5th gen ipod video?

I just want to make sure, I will not hurt them from under powering them (and trying to play loud), like you can with conventional speakers.

This is my first pair of "audiophile" HPs and I just want to make sure that I am treating them with care.

Thanks! :)

It's totally safe to play headphones through any low end output.. it's just if you under power them, they just won't perform the best that they can, even if you reach high volume with it, the impact, tone, sound stage, ect. of the music won't be at it's best without a decent amp and DAC. The ipod actually has a pretty decent amp in it so you'll be fine. You can damage them however if you blast them with a good headphone amp on high gain. Your ear drums would probably start bleeding before that though 
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #2,833 of 7,535

It's totally safe to play headphones through any low end output.. it's just if you under power them, they just won't perform the best that they can, even if you reach high volume with it, the impact, tone, sound stage, ect. of the music won't be at it's best without a decent amp and DAC. The ipod actually has a pretty decent amp in it so you'll be fine. You can damage them however if you blast them with a good headphone amp on high gain. Your ear drums would probably start bleeding before that though 
biggrin.gif

Awesome! That's exactly what I was curious to know.

Time to cue up the MFSL release of Nirvana "Nevermind" .
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,834 of 7,535
You can also damage them if you blast them at full volume with an underpowered source with very high gain... just like with speakers. The only reason why headphone people tend to not worry about damaging cans due to the lack of power is because low powered devices tend to also be low gain devices and turning them up to full volume doesn't usually make them output their full power capability with a lot of cans. Turning the ipod up to full will not distort or give an earbleeding level to the senns for example while the typical speaker amplifier is usually already earbleeding at half volume and usually distorts a little over that being that they are usually giving out more volume than they are capable of playing without distortion.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2,835 of 7,535

Awesome! That's exactly what I was curious to know.

Time to cue up the MFSL release of Nirvana "Nevermind" .
smily_headphones1.gif

And just so you know, the 598's don't need an amp... you'd only be making small strides in sound quality, most notably the bass impact and extension, so don't feel the pressure to get one. < talking from my 558 experience, i'm sure the 598 isn't too different. Although i do enjoy my 558's the most when at high volume (not ear bleeding volume, but high), which neither my laptop output jack or ipod nano can reach, therefore a person like me, would benefit from an amp quite a bit for these particular headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back