Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2,807 of 7,535
i like a lot of modern stuff ill grant you but i think the vocals and such in a lot of new music are still good. i also listen to a lot of older stuff too 70's 80's even 50's and 60's rock and other genres ......example sam & dave " hold on im coming" or chuck berry, frank sinatra, etc. modern stuff country, rock , pop (everything really)

heres the top of my spotify playlist to give glimpse

i dunno its like they are good for a lot of stuff , but other things even the older 70's stuff like stevie wonder is a more fun listen with my X1's (which I do love) but i thought the hd 598 would be a stiff competitor in being a great all around but have better imaging and better comfort.....

my only issue with the hd 598 as of yet is the slightly harsh sound (no aesthetic or comfort issues)

bought these because i do like a bit of bass (but i can appreciate tight and neutral too) so i wasnt really wanting something like AKG's which i know can be harsh. but wasnt expecting it from the hd 598. may be im just not adjusted to them, or not listening to right stuff. I'm still kind of in the beginner stage of head fi journey. so kinda been buying the best reviewed/ value cans

im not disappointed just was slightly different from what ive read mostly. so opinions on improvement etc are highly welcome because i dont really wanna have to sell these sexy senheisers

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,808 of 7,535
Hey guys recently picked up some hd 598's!!! I have a question :

Do these sound a bit harsh for a while before they are burned in fully?

Try not to flame me too hard but I am impressed with the detail they bring out of the music but sometimes it is almost fatiguing to listen to? I haven't gotten oput of the burn in period i dont think yet but have put maybe 15 hrs in so far and have noticed this and was concerned.

This thread is massive so i have yet to find someone address what im talking about, am i just weird or whats going on? thanks for any help!

(source = pc toslink spotifiy > audio engine D1)

It could be that it's not burned in. I bought mine used so i don't know how much hours were on it. I played this pink noise through them though and it may have made a difference.

It could also be the amp. I'm not sure wether the D1 has a warm or bright sound. I use a fiio e17 which is a bit on the warmer side.

Or it could be that you just are not used to these headphones, or just don't like the sound. I find they are smooth and on the warmer side although the bass is a bit thin since it doesn't extend too well.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #2,809 of 7,535
Hey guys recently picked up some hd 598's!!! I have a question :

Do these sound a bit harsh for a while before they are burned in fully?

Try not to flame me too hard but I am impressed with the detail they bring out of the music but sometimes it is almost fatiguing to listen to? I haven't gotten oput of the burn in period i dont think yet but have put maybe 15 hrs in so far and have noticed this and was concerned.

This thread is massive so i have yet to find someone address what im talking about, am i just weird or whats going on? thanks for any help!

(source = pc toslink spotifiy > audio engine D1)

I felt the same way with my hd558. They had that extra sparkle around 5khz that made them have that hyper detailed and slightly fatiguing feel. It went away a little with burn in but it could have been me getting used to the sound because when switching to the hd595, the older senns sounded smoother. Now as for the 598, I have yet to hear one. I will be buying one soon though.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #2,810 of 7,535
i dunno its like they are good for a lot of stuff , but other things even the older 70's stuff like stevie wonder is a more fun listen with my X1's (which I do love) but i thought the hd 598 would be a stiff competitor in being a great all around but have better imaging and better comfort.....

my only issue with the hd 598 as of yet is the slightly harsh sound (no aesthetic or comfort issues)

bought these because i do like a bit of bass (but i can appreciate tight and neutral too) so i wasnt really wanting something like AKG's which i know can be harsh. but wasnt expecting it from the hd 598. may be im just not adjusted to them, or not listening to right stuff. I'm still kind of in the beginner stage of head fi journey. so kinda been buying the best reviewed/ value cans

im not disappointed just was slightly different from what ive read mostly. so opinions on improvement etc are highly welcome because i dont really wanna have to sell these sexy senheisers

598 is little bright imo ... I think you ll appreciate MA900 more.. specially with warmer sound signature with amazing forward mids comparing with X1 and with huge soundstage . perfect headphone for your genres :) 

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,812 of 7,535
  how'd they crack?

right at the sennheiser logo at the side of the headphone

and this was an epic crack from the much older HD555:

The cracking issues are pretty much gone now from the second batch onwards. Also sennheiser takes back cracked ones and replaces them with the newer ones that have a softer material.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,813 of 7,535
Hey!
Bought HD598's as my first higher end headphones. I could use some opinions/help deciding what type of amp is good for these.
Would tube amp like Indeed G3(sold on ebay for 120$ inc. post. with 3 different tubes, so which one would be the best?) be one that compliments the qualities of this headset?
Or should I go with SS amp like Schiit Magni for ~140$ with postage?
I use the heaphones for gaming and some music (.flac ofcourse!)
All the help is greatly appreciated!

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,814 of 7,535
Just ordered a pair of Sennheiser 598 on Amazon as they dropped to $199 new sold by Amazon this AM. I've been stalking this site for awhile trying to decide what pair to start with and set up several price alerts on camelcamelcamel. This is my first pair of high end headphones and I'm hoping I made a good decision to go ahead with these versus saving up for a pair 650 instead.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #2,815 of 7,535
^^^ the 5x8's series are not high end.. more like mid-fi.. compared to most headphones though that are under $100 though, they sure are 
redface.gif

LCD-3.... now that's a high end headphone!! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,818 of 7,535
To hear significant improvements over them would require spending at least x3 or more for the headphone and the hefty amping that they would require. So it is a good taster of high end audio and a nice balance of performance and price.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #2,819 of 7,535
^^^ the 5x8's series are not high end.. more like mid-fi.. compared to most headphones though that are under $100 though, they sure are :xf_eek:  

LCD-3.... now that's a high end headphone!! :D  

Well, I am a noob to head-fi and in no way an audiophile so these are a huge step up from my current use of stock iPhone earbuds and a pair of Sennheiser PX100s that a friend purchased for me (which is what first perked my ears to desiring better sound).

To hear significant improvements over them would require spending at least x3 or more for the headphone and the hefty amping that they would require. So it is a good taster of high end audio and a nice balance of performance and price.

Exactly! My inexperienced ears probably wouldn't appreciate the money spent yet anyways.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,820 of 7,535
Exactly! My inexperienced ears probably wouldn't appreciate the money spent yet anyways.

Be careful and guard your wallet really tight. The 598 is an excellent starter, and pretty soon you WILL yearn for higher end gear having experienced better sound than the usual earbuds. :) 

Call it a gateway drug, so to speak. LOL!

Anyway, enjoy! They are really good headphones and for the price you got them for, a total steal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back