Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,792 of 7,535
I picked these up today and I'm pretty happy with them. They are definitely better then the hd558's I had. Even modded. I owned 2 pairs of hd558's. One refurbished from adgtron and another directly from sennheiser. The 2 pairs sounded very different. One was very bassy and the other was bass-light. Less bass than these hd598 I have now.

As far as these they are warm but yet, not that warm. More like a neutral headphone plugged in a really warm amp. More impressions coming!

I also bought these locally and the guy i bought these from said he upgraded to the hd800 so that's why he's selling these. :cool: Nice to see other enthusiast on this rock.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,793 of 7,535
Huh?

You can hardly make one yourself for less...

Its a nice cable - I like mine (I only paid $17
wink.gif
)

So have you gotten the specific cable or have you bought another one which cost you around the same ($17) ?

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #2,797 of 7,535
Huh?

You can hardly make one yourself for less...

Its a nice cable - I like mine (I only paid $17
wink.gif
)

I actually payed too much for the audio jack.. they usually go for $3...

All i gotta do is cut my current cable in half and solder away... i just saved myself $15 plus whatever it costs to ship from china...

Unless you need the long cable, then i suppose you're right considering the original long cable is $13 plus shipping.

I picked these up today and I'm pretty happy with them. They are definitely better then the hd558's I had. Even modded. I owned 2 pairs of hd558's. One refurbished from adgtron and another directly from sennheiser. The 2 pairs sounded very different. One was very bassy and the other was bass-light. Less bass than these hd598 I have now.

As far as these they are warm but yet, not that warm. More like a neutral headphone plugged in a really warm amp. More impressions coming!

I also bought these locally and the guy i bought these from said he upgraded to the hd800 so that's why he's selling these. 
cool.gif
 Nice to see other enthusiast on this rock.

So how do these compare to the a900x's? I know they're totally different... but which one do you like better? 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,799 of 7,535
Compared to the a900x the hd598 is more neutral and mid centric. The bass isn't as strong but I found the bass on the a900x to be a little boomy at times. The treble has more sparkle and extension in the a900x. The mids on both are good but different. Basically the a900x has the classic audio technica house sound and the hd598 have the sennheiser house sound.

I'm very much liking these hd598! Listening to Nashville Skyline right now and it sounds so smooth and good. I can really listen to these for hours because of the no fatiguing sound and extreme comfort! Also I think these look gorgeous! :)

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,800 of 7,535
Any Sony MA900 owners here? Besides the people on the other threads that seem to prefer the ma900 over the 598, does anyone here have both these cans and prefer the 598 instead? 

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,801 of 7,535
Regarding HD598s need of amplification (?), I don't have much to say or comment and I can't see it being fundamental. My Cowon D3 does an immensely great job driving these wonderful cans! Sound is FULL and can go very loud while the bass is adequate. Certainy no lack of bass on sight as some have pointed out! 

I'm already in love with them!

I would just love to know if anyone has tried the Furutech cables sold over on ebay. I'm considering upgrading the cable with either that chinese ''no name'' I've posted above or with a Furutech one. The stock cable is very long and thick for my needs and also has the 1/4 adaptor which is a pain for me. I'm driving my phones plugged either on my laptop or my Cowon mp3 player.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2,802 of 7,535
Hey guys recently picked up some hd 598's!!! I have a question :

Do these sound a bit harsh for a while before they are burned in fully?

Try not to flame me too hard but I am impressed with the detail they bring out of the music but sometimes it is almost fatiguing to listen to? I haven't gotten oput of the burn in period i dont think yet but have put maybe 15 hrs in so far and have noticed this and was concerned.

This thread is massive so i have yet to find someone address what im talking about, am i just weird or whats going on? thanks for any help!

(source = pc toslink spotifiy > audio engine D1)

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2,803 of 7,535
Depending on what you're coming from I don't think you're wrong in your experience-- especially if the songs being used are also harsh.  The HD598 had too much upper midrange for me which came off as a little overly aggressive and bright.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #2,804 of 7,535
  Depending on what you're coming from I don't think you're wrong in your experience-- especially if the songs being used are also harsh.  The HD598 had too much upper midrange for me which came off as a little overly aggressive and bright.

I'm still new at this, but I tried both the 558 and the 598. The 598 was so bright that it fatigued my ears. I think at least for me, the 558 is a better option. Comfort-wise, the 598 is nicer and didn't clamp as hard - I think it had something to do with the material they used.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2,805 of 7,535
I'm still new at this, but I tried both the 558 and the 598. The 598 was so bright that it fatigued my ears. I think at least for me, the 558 is a better option. Comfort-wise, the 598 is nicer and didn't clamp as hard - I think it had something to do with the material they used.

Any clamping issue with the 558 clears up in a couple of hours. They become extremely comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back