Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #2,732 of 7,535
Is there a shortlist of recommended budget dac/amps to pair with the hd598? Or good dac and amp pairings perhaps?
modi/magni? o2/odac? hrt microstreamer? audioquest dragonfly? Meridian explorer? Has anyone done a comparison of different components compared or built systems around these cans?

I have the Fiio E10 Olympus, which I run out of my laptop most of the time and it's great! I have heard the Fiio E7 and the Schiit Magni out of an ASUS Xonar D1. In my opinion, the source has had no real effect on the sound (except that the onboard audio on my laptop had an audible hiss), so I'd recommend the E10 as a cheap, functional little DAC for the HD598.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2,733 of 7,535
:DFiio e10 here too... I like it a lot.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,734 of 7,535
:DFiio e10 here too... I like it a lot.

Me three, well, i have the 558s.. 
beerchug.gif

Do me a favor, put the E10 on high gain and let me know if you hear any differences (besides the louder volume 
biggrin.gif
)

I always used to use low gain because they're only 50 ohms, but i tried high gain one day and the music became more fuller. I only really notice the difference when i turn them up a little over normal volume and higher. I guess normal volume is different for people, but the kind of volume you would use to watch a movie or a youtube video... like 3 on low gain and 1-2 on high gain for the E10... lol

Also, does the 598's have the left driver turn on before the right driver when played at very low volumes? I have my computer volume up to 100% and i just adjust the E10 volume knob, so that's probably why... still a little annoying though.. i could just lower my computers volume to 50% and i probably wouldn't have the problem.

I also here a buzzing noise in the right ear cup when i adjust the volume on the E10, only when i'm moving the volume knob though... other then that, i wuv muh headphonez... 
redface.gif
redface.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #2,735 of 7,535
  Also, does the 598's have the left driver turn on before the right driver when played at very low volumes? I have my computer volume up to 100% and i just adjust the E10 volume knob, so that's probably why... still a little annoying though.. i could just lower my computers volume to 50% and i probably wouldn't have the problem.

I think I read that that is a common problem with analog potentiometers. I may not have it completely right, but I thought that at very low volumes, the left and right channels may play at different levels. So it's likely a problem of the amp, not the headphones.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #2,736 of 7,535

I think I read that that is a common problem with analog potentiometers. I may not have it completely right, but I thought that at very low volumes, the left and right channels may play at different levels. So it's likely a problem of the amp, not the headphones.

I just checked with my on board sound on my laptop... and both problems are because of the amp (FiiO E10).... 
blink.gif

Thanks for clearing that up... i should have tested it before asking the question. Still a good amp/dac for the price, just has a few flaws.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #2,737 of 7,535

I also here a buzzing noise in the right ear cup when i adjust the volume on the E10, only when i'm moving the volume knob though... other then that, i wuv muh headphonez... 
redface.gif
redface.gif

Same problem with me, same DAC. I think that it's normal. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,738 of 7,535
Has anyone tried modding their HD-598?

I had tried to get the 558 like sound with some adhesive backed Creatology foam (very very thin)...

Sound was more forward overall, smaller soundstage and it felt like there was a tad more bass.
The sound was warmer, but more "fuzzy" sounding. I'm guessing I just got less treble and a more closed in sound.
I actually felt it was TOO warm! This was even on the O2+Modi.

I think the key area is directly behind the driver center hole. Once I remove anything directly behind the hole it was OK.

I wanted to reduce the soundstage size a tad and boost the upper mids a little.

Does anyone know if the 558 is warmer than the 598? I bet it is.

I think the 598 is the smoothest sounding headphone i've ever had. Probably even surpassing the HD-650(!). It's very forgiving of harsh recordings.

My only complaint is that the 598 doesn't sound as crystal clear as the HD-650 or Q701 but no big deal. I would say it's comparable to the K400.

BTW The E17 DAC to O2 is pretty impressive. Not as smooth as my Micro Amp from E17, but pretty close. O2 sounds like it has a hint of brightness, but still flat. I can even hear it with the 598.

E17 DAC is sometimes good to use since it has a little warmth, but not much. Less than the E10 for sure. This is only in comparison to the Modi/ODAC.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,739 of 7,535
The stock 558 is darker then the stock 598. Some people even say that the 598 is bright... i've never heard them before but my modded 558's are pretty neutral... not too dark or bright.. a happy medium i would say.. if anything, more dark then bright. Only think i miss from my stock 558's is the tight bass response. I didn't care for that veil when they were unmodded. But people like different things.

You can try and put a piece of material at the rear of the grill (where the ear cup attaches to the headband), streetdragon told me to do that to my 558's and the bass gained more control and impact... not by a whole lot, but enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back