Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #2,627 of 7,535
It was really quick, I ordered the 29 of july. It arrived in one week from China to the Netherlands. Usually things from ebay from China takes a month here. I hope my hd 598 are arriving soon, I expect them on thursday.

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #2,628 of 7,535
Quote:
It was really quick, I ordered the 29 of july. It arrived in one week from China to the Netherlands. Usually things from ebay from China takes a month here. I hope my hd 598 are arriving soon, I expect them on thursday.

Does it fit in your HD 598's? and can you give some general comments about your initial impressions. Main concerns are ergonomics, cable quality and will it fit properly/damage the socket on the HD 598's

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,629 of 7,535
I am think of getting these headphones. I have the westone 4r and a fiio e17 amp. Would I be disappointed coming to these or would they wow me? I listen to a lot of electronic music along with hip hop and rock. I was also thinking of getting the sennheiser hd-25 ii. Anyone have all of these?

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,630 of 7,535
Quote:
I am think of getting these headphones. I have the westone 4r and a fiio e17 amp. Would I be disappointed coming to these or would they wow me? I listen to a lot of electronic music along with hip hop and rock. I was also thinking of getting the sennheiser hd-25 ii. Anyone have all of these?

IMO I don't think the HD598 would be the best choice based on your musical preferences. I haven't heard the HD-25 ii but based on what I have heard about them they would probably be the better choice, though still not ideal. HD598 is a mid-centric headphone and it doesn't have a lot of impact in the bass. They are best for acoutsic and vocal music and I've also found them to handle rock quite well. That said, they won't sound bad with the types of music you mentioned but they won't wow you and it probably won't be the sound you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2,631 of 7,535
Thank you for the quick reply! The westone 4r is not known to be very bass heavy but I still enjoy hip hop on them very much. I also listen to a bunch of ambient music. I'm basically looking for something that is very detailed. Would anyone go through the trouble of checking amazon.ca for better headphones? The reason I chose these at the hd-25 ii was because they were on sale.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2,632 of 7,535
Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply! The westone 4r is not known to be very bass heavy but I still enjoy hip hop on them very much. I also listen to a bunch of ambient music. I'm basically looking for something that is very detailed. Would anyone go through the trouble of checking amazon.ca for better headphones? The reason I chose these at the hd-25 ii was because they were on sale.

Maybe take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm version if you have an amp or 32 ohm version if you don't have an amp. It is decently detailed and should work well with the types of music you mentioned, and costs a little less than both of the above headphones. Amazon is a good way to try headphones because of their 30 day return policy.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,634 of 7,535
Quote:

Honestly for that kind of music and if you wanted a portable rig I would suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's with the FiiO E17 DAC/Amp and a LOD cable to an iDevice. Maybe even recable the ATH-M50's and do the cable mod for a short straight cable.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,635 of 7,535
I
I got the H598 a few days ago from an audiophile friend as a gift, and I couldn't be happier with them. Even plugged directly into my laptop, the sound is excellent. I've always loved the warm, smooth mids on these. I find myself leaning toward music that compliments the phones, such as classic rock, light modern rock, acoustics and vocal-centric recordings particularly, however I've listened to a fair bit of hard rock, metal and electronic in the last couple of days,and these cans are certainly performing.

Before I go any further, I'm not an audiophile (yet). For me, the music comes first and foremost. Equipment is for enhancing that enjoyment, and my opinions will be colored by that. I've listened in the past in short doses to the HD598, the AKG Q701 (On a Schiit Magni), the Hifiman HE-500 (On a Schiit Lyr), and prior to the 598, my listening was done primarily on a Turtle Beach X12 gaming set, which I still use. The particular set of HD598s that I now own was pre-owned and has had ample burn-in time, so that factor has been removed for me.
Now that I have that out of the way, my impressions aren't exactly groundbreaking and most have been covered in this thread by someone or another, but I'd like to share.

My first impression (aurally) when I put these on last week after some time off of hifi was the bass. While it certainly rolls off a fair bit in the sub-bass, I fell that it is very much present and audible. It extends fairly low, and it is tight and controlled in a way that initially fooled me into thinking they were hitting harder than they were. As it turns out, I had gotten used to the looser bass on the X12, and mistook the tighter punch on the 598 for impact. I'm finding the bass on these perfect for rock and metal, as they boast a tight, punchy bass that's a lot of fun with double pedals! I do feel a lack of impact with electronic music. All of the frequencies are there, but they simply lack an impact, particularly in the sub-bass, that's a significant part of my electronic experience.

After a few days of listening to these, the things that drew me to them in the first place are only more apparent. The mids are gorgeous to me: vibrant, smooth and clear. The highs are fairly clear if a little recessed in favor of the mids, and sibilance has been a non-issue thus far. The instrument separation is excellent: everything has a clear sense of place and of space. Listening fatigue is not an issue with these, and of equal importance - to me, at least - is comfort. These deliver the most comfortable listening experience I've had with headphones. The headband is light and airy, the velour pads are soft and smooth, and the whole apparatus is very lightweight - and the comfort lasts. I've had some fairly long (eight hours or more) sessions with these, and there is no sense of relief upon removing them (something that was very real after a long session with the X12). My only nitpick is that my ears do touch the backs of the cups, and I'm still a bit spoiled by the no-contact, massive cups on the X12.

All in all, of the small handful of full-sized headphones I've had the opportunity to try out, these provide the best listening experience for my needs: comfort, a balanced sound, smooth mids, and no fatigue. The next step is amplification of course. I've been leaning toward the Fiio E7, as it's portable and cheap, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thoughts?

I have the e11 with my 598's and an lod cable, really it is a waste. There is a small change in the sound but by no means is it a 60 dollar change, more of a ever so slight tweak that could just be placebo. With an expensive (compared to e7) desktop ss amp there is a definite change but they get a little bright for me, but I liked them with a desktop tube amp. My friend loves treble and liked the ss for the treble, detail, and it is really clean. I liked the tube because it is smooth, airy, and intimate.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2,637 of 7,535
I use the Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp, it really gives the bass more extension and solidness while greatly improving the seperation and soundstage.
Its not that expensive too, about the same as an E17.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2,638 of 7,535
I just saw that there's a small tear/hole on the white paper like material covering the driver when you take off the black mesh cover covering the driver. Should I be worried? It sounds the same to me.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #2,640 of 7,535
I sometimes hear a pop in the right cup right before a new instrument or vocalist is introduced, is that sort of thing how the music is recorded or is it a part of my gear clipping? I hear it in more than one artist but it is consistent in when it happens in each song. I am running iPod, e11, 598's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back