Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,536 of 7,535
Quote:
My guess is that it will be pretty close to the Momuntum cable. It would be great if you could post a pick when it arrives.

I will.
Quote:
The general cheapo cable from the hardware store is pretty bad though. I wire modded a hd202 to accept 2.5 mm so i could use a spare cheapo cable and the HD558 cable. Even on the HD202 i noticed the sound was more muffled with the spare cable vs the sennheiser cable. But then again depends on what spare cable you are planning to use so I can't say for sure.

By spare I meant another Sennheiser brand cable. I ordered the short one from Sennheiser.
Quote:

I'm guessing that you haven't actually seen one of these cables, but you are not correct.  I own two of these - one longer version w/ a 6.3mm connector for use with my home theater and desktop rig and a shorter cable with a 3.5mm connector for portable use.  The cables are definitely not the same as what originally ships with the phones.  The site describes the materials used in the cable and the leads, but you can definitely feel the difference, physically.  It's heavier and stiffer - whether that's meaningful or not.

EDIT: and FWIW, they do sound great.

What I meant was that they probably just cut the proprietary end off and then attach their own cabling and connector on the other end. That being said I am in the camp that doesnt believe cables make any difference, so Im not going to pay (again as I have in the past and wasted the money) for an overpriced cable.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,537 of 7,535
I as the owner of HD598 for a long time and I asked many other head-fiers and they stated that the HD598s are not worthy to upgrade the cables unless there is something wrong with the cable. Remember that only few headphones can improve the sound quality significantly, the rest only increase about 5-10%. You should save money for the better DACs or AMPs and in the situation of HD598s I think the DACs upgrade are the better choice.

No offence here or If I made, sorry guys.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2,538 of 7,535
I as the owner of HD598 for a long time and I asked many other head-fiers and they stated that the HD598s are not worthy to upgrade the cables unless there is something wrong with the cable. Remember that only few headphones can improve the sound quality significantly, the rest only increase about 5-10%. You should save money for the better DACs or AMPs and in the situation of HD598s I think the DACs upgrade are the better choice.

No offence here or If I made, sorry guys.

^ i also agree that any upgrade money should go to the DAC

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2,539 of 7,535
Not sure how or why but these sound amazing just from a lowly Clip+. No real lack of anything.
Of course I have a desktop amp but I think one reason i've kept them around is that they're really good from almost anything unlike my other headphones.

Someone mentioned cables.. I've found replacing the stock cable with Mogami W2893 was worth it. Didn't take long and cost me maybe $10.
Of course you void the warranty. Not worth the trouble unless you're very skilled with a soldering iron. I'm not but I managed to get it done.

This weekend I want to compare the bass between my well amped Q701 and the HD-598. 598 has pretty good bass to me but doesn't extend that far down. Maybe similar to the Q701.
I hate comparing the 598 though. It really makes me like it less. I need to use it a lot more.

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #2,540 of 7,535
Since I'm not getting any posts in the thread I made for this I guess I will try posting it here. 

Hey guy's, I bought a pair of HD 598's about a year ago next month. They have popping/crackling sound every so often. I sent them in once for this problem and the tech said that it was because of hair inside the heaphone. He cleaned them, and sent them back but he said they weren't covered by Sennheiser warranty even though I bought them from a Amazon fulfilled seller. So now after a few months they are starting to do it again I tried cleaning out the hair and it didn't help. What should I do? also when I was cleaning them a screw got stuck against the magnet and I had a pull it off not sure if it screwed it up any more than it was, but I'm thinking about just selling them and getting something different. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #2,541 of 7,535
Quote:
Since I'm not getting any posts in the thread I made for this I guess I will try posting it here. 

Hey guy's, I bought a pair of HD 598's about a year ago next month. They have popping/crackling sound every so often. I sent them in once for this problem and the tech said that it was because of hair inside the heaphone. He cleaned them, and sent them back but he said they weren't covered by Sennheiser warranty even though I bought them from a Amazon fulfilled seller. So now after a few months they are starting to do it again I tried cleaning out the hair and it didn't help. What should I do? also when I was cleaning them a screw got stuck against the magnet and I had a pull it off not sure if it screwed it up any more than it was, but I'm thinking about just selling them and getting something different. Thanks in advance for the help.

Have you made sure that it's not your source or the recording that has popping/crackling? I get that sometimes with certain DACs.

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #2,543 of 7,535
I guess it is your driver... Hmm. Senn won't honor the warranty... shame on them. I don't know what to tell you. If it is driver failure, cleaning them won't do much. Just have to replace them or fix it somehow. Sorry to hear that.

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #2,544 of 7,535
Yes, I tried it with my Iphone 5 and my computer soundcard. Both do it, I have also tried two different cables.

Does the driver appear to have any crinkles of any sort? I remember tyll fixind a tented driver by sucking at it, i also personally have done it before using a solder suction cleaner.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2,546 of 7,535
That's odd, not sure might be contact problem? Or maybe more hair.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,547 of 7,535
Quote:
I mean it has a small one now because of the screw but it was doing it before that and it didn't have any. It's happening in both ears btw.

That sounds like it might be a source issue.  Does the problem persist when you change sources?  What are you using as your source?  Sorry you are experiencing this, it stinks when you're deep-into listening and you hear pops and buzzes where there should be none
confused_face.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,548 of 7,535
Quote:
That sounds like it might be a source issue.  Does the problem persist when you change sources?  What are you using as your source?  Sorry you are experiencing this, it stinks when you're deep-into listening and you hear pops and buzzes where there should be none
confused_face.gif

He said he tried his iPhone and his computer, and the same thing happens. It's pretty unlikely that 2 sources are going to have the same issue.

That being said, it could be the recording it self that has the buzzing and popping sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back