Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,416 of 7,535
Quote:
Me too. I messed it up, and in the end, I gave up and just bought a new cable for HD598.

lol where was it broken? solder point? or the jack point?

May 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,418 of 7,535
Quote:
I was just trying to shorten the cable. I succeed in the first try, but the cable broke after about 2 months of use. So, I tried to reterminate it, but I messed up the the solder point.

hmm that explains it, so you bought a short cable now i assume

May 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,420 of 7,535
Quote:
Actually, I just bought a stock cable as they are cheaper. Now, I need a long cable because HD598 is used with a desktop set up.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/custom-cable-mb02-cable-stereo-3.5mm-socket-stereo-6.3mm-plug.html
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,422 of 7,535
I just ordered a pair of HD598's for the wife.  I'll post impressions when they come as well as do a quick A/B comparison with my HD600's.

May 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,424 of 7,535
Thanks for the advice Palmfish.  You're probably right.  50ohms is hardly ideal for the Crack.  

Interestingly, Headfonia's Crack reviewer said that the HD598 worked well with the Crack, but I guess I'll have to judge with my own ears when they arrive 
normal_smile .gif

I still have my hybrid-XCANS amp which should pair better with the HD598.

Quote:
I don't think the 598 will pair well with the Bottlehead. They will probably sound better straight out of your iPod.

May 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #2,427 of 7,535
So I took my 8 year old HD595s, that I've used every single day since I got them, and sent them off for the flat-fee Sennheiser repair service when one of the arms holding an earpiece broke. These headphones were shot. They still sounded great, but the pads and headband and every part on them was worn out -- to the point the earpieces could just slide off the end of the headband. Can't really complain. I used them literally every day (don't even have speakers hooked up my my computer) for 8 years. I figured that for $79.95, the worst case was probably refurbed HD595's, but I suspected there was  good shot at getting HD598s back as the current model replacement.

So, I paid the $79.95 (that included UPS shipping labels both directions) and sent them off last Thursday. They arrived at Senn on Friday. Replacement was shipped on Monday and arrived today (Tuesday). Refurb HD598. Looked perfect, just packed in a refurb bag instead of a retail box. So, for $80 and my busted up 8 year old totally worn out 595s, I got a set of 598s. Not a bad deal at all. 

I'll do that deal again when I've used the 598s for eight years!

The flat rate repair/replace service isn't much of a deal on some models, but on others, it's a fantastic deal.

May 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,428 of 7,535
Quote:
So I took my 8 year old HD595s, that I've used every single day since I got them, and sent them off for the flat-fee Sennheiser repair service when one of the arms holding an earpiece broke. These headphones were shot. They still sounded great, but the pads and headband and every part on them was worn out -- to the point the earpieces could just slide off the end of the headband. Can't really complain. I used them literally every day (don't even have speakers hooked up my my computer) for 8 years. I figured that for $79.95, the worst case was probably refurbed HD595's, but I suspected there was  good shot at getting HD598s back as the current model replacement.

So, I paid the $79.95 (that included UPS shipping labels both directions) and sent them off last Thursday. They arrived at Senn on Friday. Replacement was shipped on Monday and arrived today (Tuesday). Refurb HD598. Looked perfect, just packed in a refurb bag instead of a retail box. So, for $80 and my busted up 8 year old totally worn out 595s, I got a set of 598s. Not a bad deal at all. 

I'll do that deal again when I've used the 598s for eight years!

The flat rate repair/replace service isn't much of a deal on some models, but on others, it's a fantastic deal.

That's fantastic. Way to go!

May 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,429 of 7,535
Oh, and the best part.... I kept the nifty clamp-on headphone holder that came with the HD595s. Still clamped to the same spot on the side of the desk, right above the D/A converter and headphone amp..... :)

May 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2,430 of 7,535
Wow... makes me feel like sending in my HD598 for repair too...
The earcups are basically broken and would dangle down if I don't sticky tape it, but I'm still too scared dealing with warranty and repairs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back