Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,059 of 7,535
Quote:
I don't get it, why do microsoft and Apple and Google (in android) refuse to add support for flac? its free and a lossless format :/ 

I use mac and im pretty much screwed , the only lossless format i can use is ALAC and i refuse to convert my files, i should be able to play them the way i download them 

I use a mac, and I can play FLAC files on Audirvana Plus and VLC.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,060 of 7,535
Quote:
You should be!

They are simply mindblowing!

biggrin.gif

I have to agree. I am very late to this party but I got mine yesterday and I can't quit listening to them. I have had some much more expensive headphones from Beyer, Ultrasone and AKG. These just absolutely are the most involving headphones I have had. I told my son they just make you want to listen to all of your music and buy more. That's such a difference from anything else I have had where as soon as I got the headphones I was finding flaws and looking for that next upgrade to fix them. These just hit a sweet spot I've not had before and I didn't spend an arm and leg to get them. That's one of the best parts.

I am driving them with an E17/E09K combo and it is wonderful. Add +2 on the bass and they give just enough extra weight to the low end. The sound is the most spacious I have heard. Comfort is nearly perfect. What else is there to add.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,061 of 7,535
Quote:
I am driving them with an E17/E09K combo and it is wonderful. Add +2 on the bass and they give just enough extra weight to the low end. The sound is the most spacious I have heard. Comfort is nearly perfect. What else is there to add.

Their cool design, perhaps?
Congrats on your purchase! Glad you're liking them 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,062 of 7,535
Quote:

Their cool design, perhaps?
Congrats on your purchase! Glad you're liking them 
wink_face.gif

As it is scientifically proven, electronics sounds better when painted white :wink:

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,063 of 7,535
Haha it seems the HD 598 have received pretty much general acclaim. Extremely rare for any company and specially for the price range (I mean, pretty much enyone loves the HD 800 with a good amp as well).

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,064 of 7,535
Quote:
Haha it seems the HD 598 have received pretty much general acclaim. Extremely rare for any company and specially for the price range (I mean, pretty much enyone loves the HD 800 with a good amp as well).

well the most negatives has gets is only the cracking headband (long fixed),possibly boring sounding, lack of subbass and lack of isolation. and thats not that much complaints really

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2,066 of 7,535
I have the E17s and think they're great as a DAC for my laptops (huge improvement for my Dell and a marginal but still noticable improvement against my 2008 Macbook Pro).  However, a recent review on Headphonia (http://www.headfonia.com/e7e9-reloaded-andes-and-qogir/) suggests that the E07K is just as good but for only $90 (vs. $140). 

On a separate note, has anyone gotten the short cable from Sennheiser?  I'm not happy with them.  The 2.5mm plug does not "twist and click" into the earpiece (just kind of gets stuck) and the rubber coating the cable is a lot tackier than the original cable so I get a lot more microphonics when I move around.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #2,068 of 7,535
I miss my old HD598's sometimes. The soundstage really was out of this world! Been doing my best to get the largest possible soundstage out of my HD650s ever since! 
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,069 of 7,535
Quote:
I miss my old HD598's sometimes. The soundstage really was out of this world! Been doing my best to get the largest possible soundstage out of my HD650s ever since! 
tongue.gif

Just since getting these, I have wondered if Sennheiser would not have a new model in the works. Use the design of the HD598 with upgraded drivers from the 600 series. Get the refinement of the 600 series with the soundstage of the 598s. I am satisfied beyond my normal belief with the 598s but that would tempt me to move quickly. I have listened to the 650s and love them. I would be willing to spend the money for proper amplification and source to get the most out of them. But I always came back to the 598s because they just gave me the closest performance in terms of my Energy Veritas monitors of my hifi system. By this I mean, sitting down in a dark room listening to vinyl and letting the soundstage and performance unfold in your minds eye.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,070 of 7,535
Quote:
Just since getting these, I have wondered if Sennheiser would not have a new model in the works. Use the design of the HD598 with upgraded drivers from the 600 series. Get the refinement of the 600 series with the soundstage of the 598s. I am satisfied beyond my normal belief with the 598s but that would tempt me to move quickly. I have listened to the 650s and love them. I would be willing to spend the money for proper amplification and source to get the most out of them. But I always came back to the 598s because they just gave me the closest performance in terms of my Energy Veritas monitors of my hifi system. By this I mean, sitting down in a dark room listening to vinyl and letting the soundstage and performance unfold in your minds eye.

The design of the 598s isn't solely responsible for the soundstage - that comes in conjunction with the drivers used. Otherwise, you could just throw 600 drivers into a 598 shell and call it a mod job well done if that was your cup of tea.

That being said, I would not mind and would purchase a Sennheiser 598-sounding high-end headphone without any hesitation. If they made a Senn 798 with the detail and speed of the Senn 800 but the sound signature of the 598, that'd be a first day purchase for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back