Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,041 of 7,535
I don't get it, why do microsoft and Apple and Google (in android) refuse to add support for flac? its free and a lossless format :/ 

I use mac and im pretty much screwed , the only lossless format i can use is ALAC and i refuse to convert my files, i should be able to play them the way i download them 

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,042 of 7,535
There are tons of media players thay can play flac so why is that a problem? (not sure about macs though)

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2,046 of 7,535
Quote:
I've seen a lot of people complain about the cracking on the sides. Is this common with these headphones?

yes in early releases, but that was from several years ago. the second batch and onwards have the problem fixed.
Quote:
Yes i know but not the "stock" players from Mayor companies, programs like foobar are not really popular

for windows there is winamp which is free and very popular. for android there is poweramp,winamp,player pro.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #2,047 of 7,535
Wow. What was I talkin about.
These headphones are absolutely amazing.

I just listened to RHCP - Turn It Again, and the guitar is EXACTLY what I want it to be.

I wonder if I broke them in properly by connecting them to my AV receiver for a bit or what?
I can't believe I considered returning these.
One of the best purchases I've ever made.

edit:
I know I shouldn't fix what isn't broken, but I'm going to get an amp/DAC just to see what it can do.

Right now I'm probably getting the Fiio E17, but I'm also lookin at the iBasso D7...

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,048 of 7,535
Quote:
yes in early releases, but that was from several years ago. the second batch and onwards have the problem fixed.
for windows there is winamp which is free and very popular. for android there is poweramp,winamp,player pro.

looking to buy sennheisers in the future that aren't ridiculously priced for me like the 650's are. The 598's would be my best bet? I'm trying to stay within $200 price range for each headphones right now.

ad 700
dt 770 soon
looking to get hd 598 and grado sr80i

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,049 of 7,535
Their soundstage and overall texture improves noticably with amping and dac's first

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #2,050 of 7,535
Quote:
Wow. What was I talkin about.
These headphones are absolutely amazing.

I just listened to RHCP - Turn It Again, and the guitar is EXACTLY what I want it to be.

I wonder if I broke them in properly by connecting them to my AV receiver for a bit or what?
I can't believe I considered returning these.
One of the best purchases I've ever made.

edit:
I know I shouldn't fix what isn't broken, but I'm going to get an amp/DAC just to see what it can do.

Right now I'm probably getting the Fiio E17, but I'm also lookin at the iBasso D7...

Glad you've had a change of heart! I have the E17+E09K combo right now and am enjoying the sound outta them. But from what many have said they sound amazing out of regular headphone outs too. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,051 of 7,535
Quote:
looking to buy sennheisers in the future that aren't ridiculously priced for me like the 650's are. The 598's would be my best bet? I'm trying to stay within $200 price range for each headphones right now.

ad 700
dt 770 soon
looking to get hd 598 and grado sr80i

I love my HD598s.  That lovely sound stage.  At first I had no clue what they meant by "sound stage."  Now with 3 other comparison... awww yeaaah, 

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #2,052 of 7,535
One thing I noticed with these headphones is that when I put light pressure on them, pushing towards my ears, they sound a lot better.
Have any of you done anything to yours to physically tighten them a bit?
I do have a rather narrow/thin head, so maybe that's my problem.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,053 of 7,535
After a few weeks the pads will soften (flat a bit) and adjust to the shape of your head. Not only sound will improve but comfort also.
wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,054 of 7,535
and yes the earpads soften A LOT. just to put this into perspective, a used HD558 earpad will become softer than a new HD598 earpad. and the HD558 earpad was a lot harder than the HD598 earpad when both new.

they feel like a teddy bear hugging your head
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,055 of 7,535
Quote:
One thing I noticed with these headphones is that when I put light pressure on them, pushing towards my ears, they sound a lot better.
Have any of you done anything to yours to physically tighten them a bit?
I do have a rather narrow/thin head, so maybe that's my problem.

Yes. The placement of your headphones as well as how used the earpads are affect how you perceive the sound significantly. It could be for good or for bad. 

The HD598 is largely neutral, and I find that neutral headphones tend to need greater volume to sound great. I find the opposite to be true for headphones that have a v-shaped curve (sounds great on low volumes but awful on high volumes). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back