Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,892 of 7,535
Quote:
I have read that an amp is needed to fully power the HD 598s. My price range is around $100, and I will be using my PC laptop, Kindle Fire HD tablet, and iPhone 5 for music. Which amp will power these headphones, but work with the lightning port on the iPhone 5? Please let me know of any cables I need to buy, as well. I would prefer a portable amp, but if a stationary one fits better then so be it. I will use primarily for music and movies.
Thanks,
- Mitch
Also, how bad is an amp really needed with these headphones - will it warrant the extra money?

The HD598 (50-Ohm) will work plugged directly into the Laptop, Kindle & iPhone5.
But audio quality should improve with an add-on external amplifier, more so for the laptop and Kindle
The Fiio E07K would be a good choice as a DAC & Amp.
The E07K's USB can easily be plugged into the laptop's USB port.
Not sure what cable you would need to connect the iPhone5's lighting port to the USB port on the E07K.
I know you can use the E07K's amplifier with the Kindle, not sure about the DAC.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,893 of 7,535
Eh... At this point I'd look into upgrading your source first.  A better rip will be the most obvious sound upgrade.  External amps/DACs are a bit more subtle.  Here's my advice.  If you find your headphones to be just fine as is right now.  Leave em be.  When you feel the need to upgrade... then look into an amp. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #1,894 of 7,535
[size=small]
3.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, January 2, 2013

By 
EC - See all my reviews

[size=x-small] Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)[/size]

[size=x-small] This review is from: Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones (Burl Wood Accents) (Electronics)[/size]

I am a new audiophile but I love deep rich bass....not sure if the true audiophiles will let me join the club but I know what I like and will deal with that....I have some high end equipment Caver amps and pre amps plus Klipsh speakers ...I have owned tons of headphones from Bose to Beats all in the 100-200 price range and I thought I would move up to the 300-500 range. These headphones don't sound as good as the reviews in my opinion...I purchased a headphone amp and still the sound is just average...the highs are not as clear and as many of the reviews state the bass is not powerful or realistic in my opinion. I was willing to trade off bass response for realistic musical production as I get more into being a true audiophile but these do not live up to my expectations. I plan to keep them and I am anxious to move up and try a pair of Denon D5000 or 7000 as I save up my money...also the appearance of these headphones is also just average....they look great on the picture but the are not very sturdy and the real wood is just a small strip of wood. Please know that I am still learning about audiophile headphones but I don't think these are quite there.... I listen to all kinds of music...rock..classic..rap..country and r and b plus jazz...the professional beats that I own are still my favorite...the bass is simply incredible and I continue my search to find rich deep base and more detailed high end sound that the beats seam to lack....I would not recommend these and suggest that you spend the extra $200 plus bucks on some of the better Senheisser phones and move into the $500 price range in order to be completely happy...that is my plan !
[/size]

SMH, Some people puzzle me 
eek.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #1,895 of 7,535
What's with all the people saying they look differently in real life than on the picture?...
I for one am absolutely happy with these, maybe im blind but they look exactly like on the picture to me. 
Sure they dont have much bass but i dont like a lot of bass anyway (not saying it doesnt have any, but there are pairs out there that give more punch).
That said, mine arent even burned in yet probably :<

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,896 of 7,535
Quote:
[size=small]

By 
EC - See all my reviews

[size=x-small] This review is from: Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones (Burl Wood Accents) (Electronics)[/size]

I am a new audiophile but I love deep rich bass....*snip*
I would not recommend these and suggest that you spend the extra $200 plus bucks on some of the better Senheisser phones and move into the $500 price range in order to be completely happy...that is my plan !
[/size]

eek.gif

he loves bass. beats bass to be exact. so... its kind of expented
redface.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,897 of 7,535
If your brain is adapted to the bass of Beats... well it's not surprising. But if one really loves loves bass that much, EQ'ing the bass 8+ db on the 598 will easily get you better bass performance than the Beats. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,898 of 7,535
so how low in quantity is the bass the hd 598's exactly? how does it compare to something like the Skullcandy Aviators (which I thought was sufficient in bass quantity) or the Citiscape Uptowns if anyone has heard either of them? Or maybe even the ultrasone 580s?

i'm a bit new to the over ear game so i don't have many reference points, but any help at all would be appreciated.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #1,899 of 7,535
Quote:
so how low in quantity is the bass the hd 598's exactly? how does it compare to something like the Skullcandy Aviators (which I thought was sufficient in bass quantity) or the Citiscape Uptowns if anyone has heard either of them? Or maybe even the ultrasone 580s?

i'm a bit new to the over ear game so i don't have many reference points, but any help at all would be appreciated.

Not nearly as much bass as any Ultrasones' that's for sure. Audiophiles agree that unlike many open headphones, the bass of the HD598 is well aligned with the midrange and treble, though very slightly leaning towards the upper-mids (this can be a good or bad thing depending on the music). It is by far the best all-arounder headphone I've listened to, even better than the HD600/650. Most who have heard them all will agree with me. However, I would take a D2000 or a DT990 for something like electronic music, where you want bass to be the more dominant part of the sound spectrum than the midrange or treble.

If you listen to mostly bassy genres, I would skip the HD598. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with these. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #1,902 of 7,535
Quote:
Not nearly as much bass as any Ultrasones' that's for sure. Audiophiles agree that unlike many open headphones, the bass of the HD598 is well aligned with the midrange and treble, though very slightly leaning towards the upper-mids (this can be a good or bad thing depending on the music). It is by far the best all-arounder headphone I've listened to, even better than the HD600/650. Most who have heard them all will agree with me. However, I would take a D2000 or a DT990 for something like electronic music, where you want bass to be the more dominant part of the sound spectrum than the midrange or treble.

If you listen to mostly bassy genres, I would skip the HD598. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with these. 

you can use them with electronic, just that some eqing is required, especially to boost the 80hz and below (and some treble too, and maybe some to tame down the very forward mids)

also i managed to try the beats mixr today without complaining too much about the clamp. i found that the bass was extremely powerful, but very artificial sounding. i really like the more natural bass of the grados and senns i have.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #1,903 of 7,535
Quote:
[size=small]

By 
EC - See all my reviews

I would not recommend these and suggest that you spend the extra $200 plus bucks on some of the better Senheisser phones and move into the $500 price range in order to be completely happy...that is my plan !
[/size]

eek.gif

Frustrates me "Extra $200 bucks on some of the better Sennheiser phones."

He seems to be the generic beats person who defines the quality of headphones by how deep the bass can rattle his tiny skull. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back