Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,831 of 7,535
I just moved to Germany and since Sennheisers are made here its only natural that i get myself a pair , it doesn't hurt that they're cheaper here too, I love the HD 598, i think the price its ok for high end headphones 150 EUR, i tried them on a store and they were very confortable and beautiful but they were off so i couldnt test the sound :/   the thing is i will be using these headphones without an amplifier and only on my  (future) nexus 4 and my macbook , i keep reading that without an amplifier the bass is weak and also the standard plug is 6.3 and i've seen pictures of this horrible and huge 3.5 adaptor that comes in the package , i thought about replacing the cable for a 2.5 to 3.5 mm cable, sennheiser supposedly released this exact cable i wish, a month ago or so.

I will be listening to 320 and v0 mp3s most of the times, maybe apple lossless in the future

Are these headphones for me? I listen mostly to indie and pop music: synthpop, new wave, shoegaze , dream pop, post punk, electropop,and just a bit of folk

Should i look elsewhere? I like the V-Moda M-80s too but they're more expensive , 180 euros , they have a standar 3.5 mm cable and come with a carrying case , the bad thing is that they're on ear and I've had some regular/cheap on ears before and after a while my ears hurt, i don't know what to do, also 180 EUR is no doubt the most i can pay

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,832 of 7,535
Quote:
No, in fact what I am used to is ****ty IEM.

probably your source or dac is not good. unamped also affects its soundstage negatively

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,834 of 7,535
Quote:
I just moved to Germany and since Sennheisers are made here its only natural that i get myself a pair , it doesn't hurt that they're cheaper here too, I love the HD 598, i think the price its ok for high end headphones 150 EUR, i tried them on a store and they were very confortable and beautiful but they were off so i couldnt test the sound :/   the thing is i will be using these headphones without an amplifier and only on my  (future) nexus 4 and my macbook , i keep reading that without an amplifier the bass is weak and also the standard plug is 6.3 and i've seen pictures of this horrible and huge 3.5 adaptor that comes in the package , i thought about replacing the cable for a 2.5 to 3.5 mm cable, sennheiser supposedly released this exact cable i wish, a month ago or so.

I will be listening to 320 and v0 mp3s most of the times, maybe apple lossless in the future

Are these headphones for me? I listen mostly to indie and pop music: synthpop, new wave, shoegaze , dream pop, post punk, electropop,and just a bit of folk

Should i look elsewhere? I like the V-Moda M-80s too but they're more expensive , 180 euros , they have a standar 3.5 mm cable and come with a carrying case , the bad thing is that they're on ear and I've had some regular/cheap on ears before and after a while my ears hurt, i don't know what to do, also 180 EUR is no doubt the most i can pay

The HD598 has a quite a good amount of bass that's well balanced with the midrange and treble. Not anemic bass that most ATH or AKG cans have. Subbass region is a bit lacking (in quantity and extension) but it's not a big issue for most genres of music and the HD598 is certainly not alone in this deficiency. The subbass is generally one of the harder frequencies to reproduce, and headphones that do have subbass tends to have an excessive amount of it. For your genres, the 598 works well. I think they're far superior to the M80s in sound quality and comfort, though there are many reasons why I love the M80s as well. 

You don't need an amp for the HD598. The bass tightens (less bloat) and the treble becomes more refined, but are not night and day differences. 

About the cable, I use a Grado adapter. Kinda expensive though, at $15. I have not seen the new Sennheiser cable yet. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,836 of 7,535
Quote:
Help, I can't take them off my head! They are too awesome, I'm going to wear them forever!!!

even to bathe?
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #1,837 of 7,535
Quote:

Hey, I have the V-Moda M80s AND I just go the HD598, literally 30 minutes from UPS :))) 

I may be able to help you out a little bit. 

The V-Moda M80's are a little uncomfortable at first, but once the memory foam ear cushions adapt to your ears (trust me, I was skeptical too) and the headband stretches, they will fit very snugly, maybe a TAD tight. Even if you do have uneven ears, I think you should give them a shot. 

They have a very laid back sound. To my ears they put emphasis on the mids and bass. For rock and heavy metal, the bass does get a little bloated with all the double bass and chugging, but for everything else ESPECIALLY ANY TYPE OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC, it's EXCELLENT and very FUN. For this reason I recommend saving up for the V Moda's. They are definitely awesome for mobile use, as they are very good unamped. Isolation is decent and soundstage is actually not bad for on ear.

The HD598 I just got are very nice. Even without burn in, I noticed the soundstage is superb and I expect it to widen with burn in. The sound is very balanced, vocals are very prominent and the highs are good, though a little sibilant. With burn in I expect everything to smoothen. The bass is very good. Not emphasized nor recessed. However, these are poor for traveling and isolation (which is fine if you JUST plan on doing home listening). Also, these SLAY movies and games. Very impressive soundstage right off the bat. 

TL;DR: Based on your music preferences get the V Modas. They are also better for commuting because of portability/isolation/carrying case.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,840 of 7,535
Finally got a chance to listen to these headphones today. They sound pretty damn good right out of the box, but I'm sure they will get even better at around 30-40 hours. Definitely the better the recording the better the sound. Very nice soundstage (wide/deep), vocals very natural, very good detail, with a nice warm sound, nice tight bass. I definitely like these better than the HD515 they replaced.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,841 of 7,535
Hello everyone.

I already made a separate thread but I didnt know there was a thread about this headphones so I will post my problem here too:

I wanted to gift myself a pair of "good" headphones for Christmas, and I got the oportunity to buy the Senheisser 598 for a little less money than normaly cost (not by much, but is something).

I listen to a lot of music genres, from rock and pop to louge, but my main thing is EDM Trance music, like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9VAXgSedU

I read some reviews and I like how they say the have a good soundstage and are very clear sounding (something that can be good for Trance IMO), but Im kind of worried about the low bass with electronic music.

Also, I want them mainly for home use, would be nice if I could use them on plane travels but I was already told they wont work, etc...

For reference, I still have and use an old pair of Sony MDR-V100, that I dont know how good they are (I guess they're ****)

Thanks in advance  :)

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #1,842 of 7,535
Quote:
Hello everyone.

I already made a separate thread but I didnt know there was a thread about this headphones so I will post my problem here too:

I wanted to gift myself a pair of "good" headphones for Christmas, and I got the oportunity to buy the Senheisser 598 for a little less money than normaly cost (not by much, but is something).

I listen to a lot of music genres, from rock and pop to louge, but my main thing is EDM Trance music, like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9VAXgSedU

I read some reviews and I like how they say the have a good soundstage and are very clear sounding (something that can be good for Trance IMO), but Im kind of worried about the low bass with electronic music.

Also, I want them mainly for home use, would be nice if I could use them on plane travels but I was already told they wont work, etc...

For reference, I still have and use an old pair of Sony MDR-V100, that I dont know how good they are (I guess they're ****)

Thanks in advance  :)

i use the HD558 for trance and electronic music and it sounds nice BUT, you have to eq the subbass up. since most people don't eq,consider a DT770 80ohm as well, its closed, soundstage is quite large too, the bass and treble should be more prominent and suited for electronic. (though HD598 is still a good choice, render's vocals fantastically and the rest of the song you posted, just that the DT770 has more bass than the HD598)

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #1,843 of 7,535
The HD598 bass is actually not that "bad". I don't consider it recessed at all. It's present for sure, and for the really epic trance intros it sounds freakin fantastic with the wide soundstage. 

That being said, if you want impactful bass, consider the DT770, DT990, V-Moda Lp2, V Moda M100. If you don't mind on ears then the V Moda M80 is also good. There are many more options too so stating your budget and sound preferences would also help.

I'm listening to your sugggested song right now on my HD598 and although the mids and highs are definitely very clear, the bass is also present too. It's not slapping your head, but it's also not hiding anywhere. It's just there. If you're looking for the "club" sound then you want to shy away, but these definitely envelop you with their awesome soundstage and clarity. The bass is just another player in the piece. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #1,845 of 7,535
Quote:
Is there an easy to know the manufacturing date of this headphones? by serial or something? i know they had issues with the headbands breaking in 2011 :/ i want to make sure the ones i buy were made in 2012

I'm pretty sure the old ones are now long gone from the shelves.  I got mine last year, and by that time they had already fixed it.  Just to update... no cracks yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back