Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #1,726 of 7,535
Quote:

[size=medium]agreed everyone has their own preferences….some like HD650 and few other (like me) love HD598 … expect for timbre 598 is much more enjoyable....HE-400 centers vocals on top of the head which is cool after you get used to it…with 650 vocals sounds close to ears...but 598 sound more like a speaker…vocals are pushed back like one feet away…I can feel the distance between my ears and sound…this makes me forget actually an HP is on my head. [/size]

[size=medium]598 sound somewhat liquid where all the music comes together, when directly compared to 650 but fun to listen to...my only point was 650 is not radical upgrade from 598 [/size]

about the soundstage i do really agree that it doesnt seem like the music is in your head, it seems to surround you and pulsate at you from a distance. which i realized is amazing comparing to some other headphones in this price or higher (like the srh940)

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,727 of 7,535
I've used the HD-598 for maybe 2 years now and never once did I feel like vocals of any kind were pushed back like a foot away.
Actually, I kind of get what you are saying. You can easily determine how far away the vocals were recorded. I guess some Eddie Vedder songs I have sound as if it's recorded in a bowling alley and his vocals almost get drowned out.

I get the same thing on the Q701, but some claim this is due to not having an up-front feeling to the mids. I guess they're both just trying to be accurate to the recording.

If you listen to a recording with VERY upfront vocals, they're definitely not distant.

I think based on memory I preferred the hD-650 over the HD-600 for vocals. It may be due to a more closed in (sounding) soundstage. The extra bass and less treble might give one an impression of a smaller soundstage.

For female vocals right now it's: HD-580 | HD-598 > HD-650 > HD-600.

I haven't compared the 598 to the HD-580 lately, so I'll just say they're even. HD-580 is slightly different than the HD-600. A little more energetic and slightly clearer.

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #1,728 of 7,535
Quote:
I've used the HD-598 for maybe 2 years now and never once did I feel like vocals of any kind were pushed back like a foot away.
Actually, I kind of get what you are saying. You can easily determine how far away the vocals were recorded. I guess some Eddie Vedder songs I have sound as if it's recorded in a bowling alley and his vocals almost get drowned out.

I get the same thing on the Q701, but some claim this is due to not having an up-front feeling to the mids. I guess they're both just trying to be accurate to the recording.

If you listen to a recording with VERY upfront vocals, they're definitely not distant.

I think based on memory I preferred the hD-650 over the HD-600 for vocals. It may be due to a more closed in (sounding) soundstage. The extra bass and less treble might give one an impression of a smaller soundstage.

For female vocals right now it's: HD-580 | HD-598 > HD-650 > HD-600.

I haven't compared the 598 to the HD-580 lately, so I'll just say they're even. HD-580 is slightly different than the HD-600. A little more energetic and slightly clearer.

[size=medium]a foot was not meant to be literal, when I am with HD650 / HE-400 for around two hrs+ and change to HD598 immediately, I feel like vocals are pushed back and more lively [/size]

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #1,729 of 7,535
Well, for the past year I've been listening to my HD598s on my desktop with a Creative Titanium HD. That setup was a big improvement over the onboard sound and IceMat headphones that I used for years, so I was happy. But lately I've been spending more time on my laptop doing homework and the music just pretty much sucked. So I decided to upgrade with a DAC/AMP combo unit, I settled on the 02/ODAC. All I can say is that the 02/ODAC is a HUGE improvement over the Titanium HD.  I'm now feeling like I'm getting the most from these headphones and loving every minute of it.

Props to the Head-Fi community for all the information.

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #1,730 of 7,535
Changing the cable of your HD598, maybe it will take your HD598 to a next level
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,731 of 7,535
You can also change the plug to a balanced XLR plug since there is 4 wires in the stock cable. I have done this. I cut off the 1/4 jack and put on a 4 pin XLR jack on the end and works very well with my Little Dot Mk6+ balanced tube amp.

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #1,732 of 7,535
Quote:
You can also change the plug to a balanced XLR plug since there is 4 wires in the stock cable. I have done this. I cut off the 1/4 jack and put on a 4 pin XLR jack on the end and works very well with my Little Dot Mk6+ balanced tube amp.

Interesting.  How does the HD598 sound out of your MKVI+?

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,733 of 7,535
From the Mk6+ thread I will repeat it here.
[size=small]This may not be common knowledge but the Sennheiser HD598, HD558, HD518 headphones are very easy to convert to balanced mode. The replaceable cable already have the four color coded wires in it. No need to take the headphone apart. I did order a replacement cable from Custom Cable in UK but it is not easy for a vendor to get the replacement cables from Sennheiser for the above headphones. I brought the ‘helping hands” with Magnifier from Radio Shack at 50% off. While I have three soldering irons I decided to use a soldering gun for this project. I brought mine from an Auto parts store. The cheapest place to buy a soldering transformer gun. The wires color codes were not as I expected it to be. I did know that the Red is the right+ and white is the Left+ but did not know what is the corresponding - wires were. So I use my meter on resistance setting and put on the headphones and connect one meter lead to the red wire and touch the other meter lead to the other two wires possibilities and when I heard static on the right channel I know I got the right pair for the channel.[/size]
[size=medium]Right channel Red+ and blue-[/size]
[size=medium]Left channel White+ and black-[/size]

[size=medium]The Little Dot Mk6+ really brings out the best in the headphones. The Mk6+ also has a stereo 1/4 output but the balanced outputs puts it into another  league. Very clear and atmospheric sounding. I am currently using the Bendix 6080WB power tubes with solid graphite plates which brings a bit more bass to the sound. A very remarkable amp. [/size]

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,734 of 7,535
Nice.  I've read the HD598 really scales up with better amplification.  Thanks for the impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,735 of 7,535
This thread is the reason I happily own a pair of HD-598's today and now I am seeking advice on an appropriate amp to connect to my cdp. I won't be using the amp with a computer or a portable device. I've been considering a few amps such as the Matrix M Stage, Schiit Asgard, etc. but, for whatever reason, I can't seem to figure this out on my own. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,738 of 7,535
hello guys, do i need an amp/dac for this 598 headphones? im planning to get 1. i usually listen to John Mayer, Ed Sheeran, Green Day, Simple Plan, Coldplay, Blake Shelton ( so u see kind of sentimental) but i also listen to pop songs, such as Payphone, call me maybe and stuff like that. and also Rock, Linkin park and Avengend sevenfold ( basically i hate screaming rock.. ya know what i mean? like those where u go 'AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH' the whole song. ( no offence).. and also to be honest, i dislike dubstep( no offence once again) but i only like Skrillex and Basshunter.. and im worried that the bass of the 598 is unsufficient for my needs.. i've did quite a reasonable amount of research, was considering the M50 but i guess i'll stay away from them.(M50).. oh! i also listen to K-Pop, i love big bang. :).. so basically that's it.. 

i love the 598 because of how it sounds so good with sentimental music. but im afraid the 598 will turn out terrible for a little bit of techno,rock and K-pop for me.. if so what amp/dac should i buy? i would want a portable one.. preferbably nothing expensive.. or besides Fiio could u guys suggest me other brands which are good? i do not want the 'amp bass'' to ruined the crystal clear sound of 598 too..

or are those amp/dac UNNECCESARY at all? i m using a beats studio ( a gift from my cousin) and the bass is ****,clarity is ****ed up. so yea :)

but certainly i would prefer not to use an amp as i';ve ahd bad expierience with amps.. haha.. like when the amp's volume was set to max, and i plug the jack in and started playing the music, I LITERALLY **** BRICKS. I SWEAR
so yea guys thats bout it :)

P/S: i do not want to get a Beyer 770 nor the custom one pro, because i've tried it and it's too big for me/ my ears just dosent 'fit in' the ear cups like the 598 do.

nevertheless, have a great day guys :)

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,740 of 7,535
amp is not nessasary, it could help though (but then again its better spend all your budget in the headphone and not split it into headphone + amp at this kind of price range)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back