Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,336 of 7,535
For those who own a pair of Grados as well, how do you reckon the HD598 would complement my Alessandro MS2i's?

I love my MS2i's for most kinds of rock, but I'm looking for something that will cover classical and jazz, as well as some rock that might benefit from a less in-your-face sound (Pink Floyd, The Beatles).

Basically I want something that is more forgiving with less than stellar recordings (without being muddy), and also would be less fatiguing for long listening sessions, especially while going to sleep.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,337 of 7,535

I actually think you'll get more benefit from getting a USB DAC/Amp that also has RCA outputs as well, such as the iBasso D7, The HRT HeadStreamer, or Audioengine D1. You can use products like these as a source for both the HD598 and your speaker system. That means that you won't be able to amplify the sound out of your iPod (which is where the HD598 would actually need more power), but I think something like that can at least pull double duty for you. To answer your question, I didn't care much for the E11, but I thought the feature set of the E17 was quite excellent. The performance is also makedly improved over the E7.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation i think I'm going to check out the Ibasso d7

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,339 of 7,535
Sennheiser says I'm getting a new pair of headphones shipped to me, and the product manager is telling me to keep the old pair, despite it being totally functional but just having minor cosmetic defects.

I love this company.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,340 of 7,535
Oh man... I just got my 598's a couple of hours ago and immediately plugged it into just about everything I had. Now I know I have let new speakers burn-in first but I'm still impressed. Mostly when I plugged into my mixer and listened to the eagles hell freezes over lp, some nice hi quality vinyl and man... I can't stop listening. Now on desperado and I think I might start all over again. Also the headphones match the interior of my car pretty good, thought that was kinda funny.

Edit: I take it back a love supreme was calling to me and oh man....:D I think it's open air from now on for me

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,341 of 7,535

Quote:
Also the headphones match the interior of my car pretty good, thought that was kinda funny.

They were made to, after all.

Anyway, The third pair of HD598s is fine beyond the usual molding issues (small nicks on the top of the headphone cups, where it looks like this: ()

One tiny issue I haven't experienced before: There's a bit of the plastic on that top part that is exposed. Like, it's just white/gray plastic, rather than the cream paint. Probably going to "live with it" or maybe get "perfect" parts off the other pair - is it that hard to switch out an entire headphone cup on the HD598? Is there a guide anywhere?

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,342 of 7,535
May consider parting with y hd598;   Great phones, but little use with a pair or hd650's lying aboutl
with great image specificity tends to give them less use.  More neutrao than the 650 and stronger highs.
It's crying out for a decent had amp.  I find my Old SKool  Headamp and theiy are have great synergy.
Great headphone, just a little low in the food chain given what I''ve been selecting lately.
$150.00 and I'll pick up the shipping cost above ten buck.  Someone help me thin the herd.
Hibuck...

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #1,343 of 7,535
After a few more days with these cans Im falling ever more in love. These are probably the most comftorable pair of headphones I've ever had on my head. Now I must state I do wear glasses and not metal wire frame type the plastic squuare type, and for others out there that wear glasses you know how most overhead headphones will push on the side of the glasses and can be fairly unconftorable. But with these I don't get any push at all. If you wear glasses get these headphones.:)

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,344 of 7,535
I'm upset. The paint chipping is getting worse - it's just rubbing off. I'm assuming I got another refurb, since it came without a box and with the paint chipping.

The product manager that I got in contact with isn't back till tomorrow. I don't know what I'll do. The support has been amazing, but the product's not been so great.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,345 of 7,535
What are the better mic mods for the HD598?

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,346 of 7,535

Quote:
After a few more days with these cans Im falling ever more in love. These are probably the most comftorable pair of headphones I've ever had on my head. Now I must state I do wear glasses and not metal wire frame type the plastic squuare type, and for others out there that wear glasses you know how most overhead headphones will push on the side of the glasses and can be fairly unconftorable. But with these I don't get any push at all. If you wear glasses get these headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

What you say about 598 being confortable even with glasses is very interesting. What kind of music have you listened to with the 598? Who do they sound with pop/electronic music ? how about soundtracks? :) 

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #1,347 of 7,535

Quote:

What you say about 598 being confortable even with glasses is very interesting. What kind of music have you listened to with the 598? Who do they sound with pop/electronic music ? how about soundtracks? :) 

I've bought them in september and I must say that with glasses they're comfortable enough to let you enjoy EVERY genre, maybe they're lacking something with bass based music, but still they're amazing. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,348 of 7,535

Quote:

I've bought them in september and I must say that with glasses they're comfortable enough to let you enjoy EVERY genre, maybe they're lacking something with bass based music, but still they're amazing. 

I hear everyone say that they lack some bass... But what do they really mean? I like bass but I don't like headphones to be vibrating all the times around my ears. What kind of bass do they have? Can you feel at least a little vibration with songs that do have lows?

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #1,350 of 7,535
They don't lack in bass at all to me. Frequency range is pretty good so even electronica sounds good on it.

However, ymmv as I am a person who prefers precise bass tones (as I listen to a fair amount of cello and double bass). I do think that the source matters a lot though, based on that impedance map for the HD598.

I power mine through a Marantz PM6003 amp (now replaced by the 6004 model). Its a low cost amp that is fundamentally designed well and it pairs very well with the HD598 so I don't think one needs to really invest a lot in amplification for these cans. For info, my music source is my mac output to a Styleaudio USB DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back