Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,306 of 7,535
I just got them today and I'm in love with the soundstage. 

Decided to play some video games and noticed my headphones would literally rumble during explosions. Anyone else notice that? I'm using the turtle beach DSS and I decided to put the bass boost all the way up, now that I think of it, i'll probably lower it next time.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #1,307 of 7,535
This sensation is common with headphones, but it's really just your ears. The headphone is not literally rumbling. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,308 of 7,535

Quote:
This sensation is common with headphones, but it's really just your ears. The headphone is not literally rumbling. 

Ah, okay. I was worried I might have pushed too much through them or something. So I shouldn't be too spooked if I feel that rumble sensation again or should I take it as a sign to lower my bass or volume when gaming?

Anyhoo,I'm way too thoroughly impressed with these headphones. Happy to finally be apart of the 598 owners club.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #1,309 of 7,535
I can feel the rumble when there is strong bass in the music or in video clips but this feeling has gone after 1 or 2 days. By the way, maybe hauntedsounds turn the volume too high.
I got a strange feeling whenever I use HD 598 to listen to music, it looks like there is a sound wave coming from 2 earcups and then go around my ear. It is really funny. I think this is the effect of an audiophile headphone. It is lively and not as flat as when I use cheap headphone.  

I have decided to get HRT music Streamer II and Little Dot MK III because I am a fan of vocal so I want a warm sound from tubes and my next headphone could be HifiMan HE-500. They should pair well together.

Thanks everyone and every information that I have read in this topic and I will be bothering you guys in the near future.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #1,310 of 7,535

Quote:
Ah, okay. I was worried I might have pushed too much through them or something. So I shouldn't be too spooked if I feel that rumble sensation again or should I take it as a sign to lower my bass or volume when gaming?

Anyhoo,I'm way too thoroughly impressed with these headphones. Happy to finally be apart of the 598 owners club.

To be honest I sometimes feel the rumble even at a safe volume so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just adjust the volume to what you feel is right.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,311 of 7,535

Quote:
I can feel the rumble when there is strong bass in the music or in video clips but this feeling has gone after 1 or 2 days. By the way, maybe hauntedsounds turn the volume too high.
I got a strange feeling whenever I use HD 598 to listen to music, it looks like there is a sound wave coming from 2 earcups and then go around my ear. It is really funny. I think this is the effect of an audiophile headphone. It is lively and not as flat as when I use cheap headphone.  

I have decided to get HRT music Streamer II and Little Dot MK III because I am a fan of vocal so I want a warm sound from tubes and my next headphone could be HifiMan HE-500. They should pair well together.

Thanks everyone and every information that I have read in this topic and I will be bothering you guys in the near future.

I'm excited to hear your impressions of DAC/amp combo. I almost tried out a similar combo with my 598s, but decided to take a break from this crazy hobby. Still loving my Senns unamped, and without a DAC

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #1,312 of 7,535

Quote:
I'm excited to hear your impressions of DAC/amp combo. I almost tried out a similar combo with my 598s, but decided to take a break from this crazy hobby. Still loving my Senns unamped, and without a DAC

598 is fine without an amp. You only really need it above the 6xx series.

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,313 of 7,535
I recently got a pair of these. I'm a tad overwhelmed by the mids. They're very forward. I tested this mainly with Acoustic tracks by Paramore, which I remember enjoying more with my PC360.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I feel the vocals are overpowering everything else.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,314 of 7,535

Quote:
I recently got a pair of these. I'm a tad overwhelmed by the mids. They're very forward. I tested this mainly with Acoustic tracks by Paramore, which I remember enjoying more with my PC360.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I feel the vocals are overpowering everything else.

Have you tried another source other than your creative card? It seems like when I used my Creative soundcard (an old X-Fi) it seemed to have slightly forward mids.
I've found the HD-598 to have less forward mids than my DJ100 for sure. DJ100 does have more forward upper mids though.

I only mentioned this because you also have my favorite DJ100.

Male or female vocals? I'm guessing male vocals..

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,315 of 7,535
Just something I want to ask.  I own the m50 and hd598.  The 598 gives a very complete sound compare to the m50.    It is a lot better but I can't explain why.  I listen to a lot of musics that is slow and plays mostly instruments and little bass.  So What makes the 598 sounds complete compare to the m50? 

About the headphones, I bought the m50 used from a DJ and it had many play time on it already.  The HD598 is only about 3months old.  As for amping, I use the fiio e17 and it is very good, nothing to complain.   The mid on the hd598 is clear and incredible with the e17.  And It is loose and dull from my computer headphone jack but more laid back.  

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #1,316 of 7,535

Quote:
Just something I want to ask.  I own the m50 and hd598.  The 598 gives a very complete sound compare to the m50.    It is a lot better but I can't explain why.  I listen to a lot of musics that is slow and plays mostly instruments and little bass.  So What makes the 598 sounds complete compare to the m50? 

About the headphones, I bought the m50 used from a DJ and it had many play time on it already.  The HD598 is only about 3months old.  As for amping, I use the fiio e17 and it is very good, nothing to complain.   The mid on the hd598 is clear and incredible with the e17.  And It is loose and dull from my computer headphone jack but more laid back.  

I have found new love for my hd598s using the e17, before they were the pair of headphones I had but never used

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #1,318 of 7,535

Quote:

598 is open, m50 is closed.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #1,319 of 7,535
You pretty much answered it yourself. The music you listen to benefit more from the open and mid forward nature of the HD 598s rather than the M50s.

I have those two exact headphones as well and I find they do better for different genres.

Quote:

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #1,320 of 7,535

Quote:
Have you tried another source other than your creative card? It seems like when I used my Creative soundcard (an old X-Fi) it seemed to have slightly forward mids.
I've found the HD-598 to have less forward mids than my DJ100 for sure. DJ100 does have more forward upper mids though.

I only mentioned this because you also have my favorite DJ100.

Male or female vocals? I'm guessing male vocals..

No, I haven't tried another source. It's my best source currently. I'm thinking about upgrading my sound card to a better one, not sure yet which one. 

I blame you for having the DJ100. I bought them because of your thread and posts =P. I like vocals, so I always wanted them. Also, I listen to a lot of jpop and stuff like that so that convinced me.

To be honest, I haven't had the time to try the DJ100 at all yet, but I had them burn in for 3 days. The HD598 I tried almost right out of the box, with just a couple hours burn in, and the mids seemed overpowering to me (compared to the PC360, which I don't know what driver it uses). Right now the HD598 is burning in, maybe it'll get better. But I did notice that they have a lot more bass than I expected (I was using AD700 before).

I like laid back, dark, warm sound. Maybe my choice wasn't the best? Lol. Well, they were a gift anyway =P.

The vocals I had a listen to were female (Paramore, female singer, rock, also, some Hayley Westenra (soprano), the music sounds really low while the vocals overpower it). 

Can you recommend a sound card for me to upgrade to? I'm also going to get an amp at some point.

Thanks for replying to my post.

Edit: I also want to get the K601 by AKG. Can you tell me something about this headphone? (I would have went with the K701, but it doesn't fit my head, lol. The K601 does. Weird, isn't it?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back