Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,263 of 7,535

I think they're fine for bass heavy genres. There are some amps out there that will turn them into bass monsters, too.

The DIY CTH I'm using right now really cranked up the bass on these things. I was blown away.

Quote:
Man, these things sure do look amazing. :'D

My question to everyone that owns them though, is the bass on these acceptable as far as Rap and other bass heavy genres?

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,265 of 7,535
That's good to know. :)

How much did you pay for your amp though? And where did you get it from?

It's a DIY design so you can't really get one off the shelf. I'd look for something with a decent bass boost if they're not enough for you stock. I heard the E17 recently and it has a nice bass boost plus a good DAC.

If you just want a great little amp look at a ZO.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,267 of 7,535
Soon to be a member of this fine group...my new 598's are supposed to be here Friday along with a Schiit Asgard that I'll run off my Audio GD NFB-2.1 dac. Haven't had any cans in several years, my last ones being HD580s that I used with just a stereo preamp headphone out. Pretty much based my headphone choice based on the feedback from all of you and my past experience with the 580s. Thanks for all your input - looking forward to them!

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #1,269 of 7,535

Quote:
598 are beautiful phones, but sound exactly the same as 595.

Guessing you read that somewhere online and never actually compared them..
According to you the HD-650 is identical to the HD-600 too right?

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,271 of 7,535

Quote:
I had both 598 and 595, they sound same to my newbie ears on my newbie setup...

Oh that's probably why. I have golden ears and can hear a mouse fart from 1000 feet away. I always forget to point that out!

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,272 of 7,535
The less transparent your source and tracks the more things will sound closer to each other.  The 595 and 598 do not sound the same, do not measure the same and are not built the same.  One might say they have a 'similar' sound as it is a signature sound but it is not the 'same' sound.  The best thing to do is get the 555 and save money in such a case.  FYI, I've owned, dissected and compared the 555/558/595/598 and cross referenced their measurements.  Despite the similarities the differences are audible and quite real.  You would have to mod the 595 to get closer to the 598.  If Sennheiser wanted the 598 to sound like the 595 they wouldn't have wasted their time and money making the changes they did physically.  They would have just changed the paint and left it at that.  Reading the Amperior thread will give an idea of what I'm talking about.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,273 of 7,535
my first post !!!!  Just received my HD598 today ! The choice was tough and I d like to thank head-fi users that took time to review and share their experiences.

These headphones sound great out of the box, but I expect (hope) they will improve after some time. I had only 20minutes to test them, but globally they are excellent. I can only compare them to my other cans (beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm, Audio Technica ATH-M50).

Everything is good (soundstage, AAA confort, good design, no need for an amp) ! Absolutely do not regret this purchase. My only negative points so far :

- bass is less defined that I expected (it is a i would said a bit "blurry"). I hope the sound will be more balanced after some burn in.
- Not an important point at all, but I would really have prefered these to be black/grey (but they are less ugly than I expected compared to some photos from the web)

Voila, voila, this was my first impression. I'll update these comments after some testing.

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,274 of 7,535
Congratulations on your new 'phones!  I am considering the HD598's but am worried about their clamping force and long-term comfort.  I have a large head (unfortunately no extra brains!) and wear glasses.  I recently bought some PX100-II's and they just fit me if the sides of the headband are extended fully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back