Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,141 of 7,535

Quote:
Well, it has more bass, but I'd be hesitant to say it's better bass than the Q701s.
wink.gif

Right, that's what I meant to say, more bass. The bass is very good on the HD598s also.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #1,143 of 7,535
I just ordered the HD598's and asus xonar DX. I'm soooo excited, 
L3000.gif
 from experiences here and everywhere else, they seem a good pair of cans =D (i'm still bit scared of the cracking issue.....
confused_face(1).gif
) and they look just like our bmw m5's interior 
wink_face.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #1,144 of 7,535
I believe there was no cracking reported here since last summer. The issue seems to be solved forever now.
normal_smile%20.gif

Enjoy your cans, i'm sure you gonna like them.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,145 of 7,535
Even tho i haven heard these cans beafore (i have heard 555's, for like 1 minute 
rolleyes.gif
), and i can bet that these are a HUUGEEE improvement over my old "purely gaming" headset (it sounded crappy, it doesn't matter if it was music, movies or gaming it was awful) the logitech G35. I have had also a lot of experience with the bose QC15's, wich i think will not be as good sounding as the 598's.

PS. this is the BEST community i have ever seen 
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #1,146 of 7,535
Been using these cans for a few months now. Still awesome for rock and pop, although It's specialty dwells in the acoustic and ambient music sector. But i highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good set of cans for home use. It really gives your music a aural feel that heightens your audio experience. :D

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #1,147 of 7,535
Beats the beats in lots of ways.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,150 of 7,535
Anyone else crazy like me and think the HD-598 is actually more neutral (sounding) than the HD-600?
Actually I have the HD-580 with HD-600 cable and grills and should should 100% identical to the HD-600. Same driver and it's the silver version.

When comparing both, the HD-600 sounds a little more congested and everything feels so closed in. It has more bass, is a lot warmer, but has more forward upper mids.
Soundstage of the HD-600 on any amp I have seems tiny in comparison to the HD-598.

The HD-600 is supposed to have more detail, but I'm just not hearing it. I actually feel they're about comparable. The HD-598 actually feels more detailed when the HD-600 doesn't have a PC DAC for it.
Seriously there is no way there is going to be anything on the HD-600 I can't hear on the 598.

HD-598 has more forward mids, yet the HD-600 has more forward upper mids. When you listen to both, my ears are telling me the HD-598 is more balanced and smoother sounding.
The HD-600 does feel a bit more harsh with very badly recorded songs. Could be that upper mids peak the HD-598 doesn't have.

HD-598 also seems to sound more clear at times and is much more engaging. Female vocals and most pop music sounds much better on the HD-598.

You'd think that since the HD-598 is more engaging, it technically should be the least neutral one right?

I guess I still prefer my HD-598. The HD-600 would be nice for those that want a warmer sound with more bass and less treble. HD-600 sounds like it has less treble, but not 100% sure on this.
Don't really like the mids on the HD-580/600. Kind of put me asleep. When I try an HD-650, they're made even worse and you just get more treble and bass and a slightly larger soundstage.

I'd say right now the HD-598 I like as much as my Q701. Q701 is technically better, but HD-598 sure is fun to listen to. Really addicting..

I was hoping Sennheiser would release another headphone that was better than the HD-598 (but similar), but not as expensive as the HD-650. Turns out we got the HD-700. Oh well...

Anyone else prefer the HD-598 to the HD-600?

HD-600 may be technically better, but it  just doesn't sound as good to my ears
normal_smile%20.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,151 of 7,535
I am starting to enjoy my HD 598. God that soundstage, whew.

The other day this dubstep sub bass track came on and I was sudden blown away. I couldn't believe all this bass had appeared. I had skipped bassy songs in the past. Not anymore. DnB just sounds exceptional on this headphone. It doesn't have the depth and boom of my beyers nor it's brightness. It doesn't have to, it compliments the Beyers more then anything. Beyerdynamics for when I want my brain attacked, Sens for when I just want to chill out.

Now to find an amp to compliment both.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,152 of 7,535
Liquid DnB is really great in the 598. Stuff like Netsky, Feint, Logistics, London Elektricity, etc. There are better for Dubstep, but the 598 shine with Liquid stuff as far as EDM goes.

Quote:
I am starting to enjoy my HD 598. God that soundstage, whew.

The other day this dubstep sub bass track came on and I was sudden blown away. I couldn't believe all this bass had appeared. I had skipped bassy songs in the past. Not anymore. DnB just sounds exceptional on this headphone. It doesn't have the depth and boom of my beyers nor it's brightness. It doesn't have to, it compliments the Beyers more then anything. Beyerdynamics for when I want my brain attacked, Sens for when I just want to chill out.

Now to find an amp to compliment both.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,153 of 7,535
Everyone wants me to love the HD600s, and I've tried, but they just don't get it for me. Personally, I'd rather listen to the 598s, they're just more musical.

That aside, I'd take the AKG Q701s over them both, or any other open cans for <$500, and never look back. That's just me, though. :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #1,154 of 7,535
Hey ya'll. Just recently purchased a pair for myself and am anxiously waiting for there arrival. I will be pairing them with a LOD and a FiiO E11, but those won't ship in until later. Although I've really already done the research I've needed, I'm curious to know if any other HD598 owners primarily listen to hip hop, jazz, soul and what their impressions are. Amp, unamped, how noticeable will sounds be with this setup? I'm really going for the encompassing soundstage as this is what drove me to cop the headphones in the first place. They will be accompanying Grado SR80's and HD25-1 II's. Which pair of headphones do you think I'll be going to on the regs? I'll keep ya'll updated to let you know what I think.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #1,155 of 7,535
I listen to a ton of soul and jazz and man, it is glorious.

Quote:
Hey ya'll. Just recently purchased a pair for myself and am anxiously waiting for there arrival. I will be pairing them with a LOD and a FiiO E11, but those won't ship in until later. Although I've really already done the research I've needed, I'm curious to know if any other HD598 owners primarily listen to hip hop, jazz, soul and what their impressions are. Amp, unamped, how noticeable will sounds be with this setup? I'm really going for the encompassing soundstage as this is what drove me to cop the headphones in the first place. They will be accompanying Grado SR80's and HD25-1 II's. Which pair of headphones do you think I'll be going to on the regs? I'll keep ya'll updated to let you know what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back