Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #1,096 of 7,535

Quote:
So I've done a lot of reading and have heard lots of positive things about these headphones, especially about the soundstage, and I'm way hyped on getting a pair of my own along with an e6 to drive 'em. Couldn't even convince myself in doing the hd558 instead; I need these hd 598s.

Question about the price though:
I've seen so many good deals on these lately and can't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet knowing that if I had a little patience I could of gotten them for a better price.

Does anyone know if I can get these for less than the atm standard of $249.95? Really bummed I missed out on the $175 amazon deal awhile back.

Talk to razordogdeals on ebay and make a "best offer" on his Senn. HD598. He is an authorized Sennheiser distributor and will sell at a fair price. (He just can't advertise at a price below the MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) per the law.) I'm sure you can get them for 175 though if you try. :)

Best of luck!

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,097 of 7,535
Someone at my school was trying to sell HD598s. I asked him to send me pictures and the pictures he sent were of a black headphone. I asked him about that and he said that there is a black model which he purchased. I was under the impression they only came in beige. Can someone clarify this? Do the HD598s come in any other colorways?

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,098 of 7,535
No, it only comes in beige. He's probably selling the HD558s.

Quote:
Someone at my school was trying to sell HD598s. I asked him to send me pictures and the pictures he sent were of a black headphone. I asked him about that and he said that there is a black model which he purchased. I was under the impression they only came in beige. Can someone clarify this? Do the HD598s come in any other colorways?

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #1,099 of 7,535

Quote:
Talk to razordogdeals on ebay and make a "best offer" on his Senn. HD598. He is an authorized Sennheiser distributor and will sell at a fair price. (He just can't advertise at a price below the MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) per the law.) I'm sure you can get them for 175 though if you try. :)

Best of luck!

Razordogdeals isn't selling any hd 598s at the moment, but thanks for letting me know; I'll be sure to keep an eye out. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,101 of 7,535

Quote:

Razordogdeals isn't selling any hd 598s at the moment, but thanks for letting me know; I'll be sure to keep an eye out. 

You could try calling J&R Music World and ask them for a discounted price.  Posters have reported them selling the HD598 as low as 170 over the phone.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #1,102 of 7,535
Hey guys, I still haven't invested in the HD 598 yet.  I came back to the same argument of HD598 vs HD600.  I wanted to know which one would do pop and indie rock good?  Something in the lines of artists like Shakira, Maroon 5, Silversun Pickups and the like.  I think for indie rock it would be amazing, personally.  But for pop rock like Maroon 5 and Shakira I wonder.  I love my HD 280, but I wanted something open as well.  The HD598 still seems great IMO, just want to make sure.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,103 of 7,535

Quote:
Hey guys, I still haven't invested in the HD 598 yet.  I came back to the same argument of HD598 vs HD600.  I wanted to know which one would do pop and indie rock good?  Something in the lines of artists like Shakira, Maroon 5, Silversun Pickups and the like.  I think for indie rock it would be amazing, personally.  But for pop rock like Maroon 5 and Shakira I wonder.  I love my HD 280, but I wanted something open as well.  The HD598 still seems great IMO, just want to make sure.

When I first compared the 598 to the 600 I thought they sounded very similar. Only after more time with them did the differences really stand out.

The 598 is brighter and "faster" sounding than the 600 (but the 600 is by no means "dark" or "veiled" like the 650), but this made the 598 a little more fatiguing to me. The 598 has less bass authority than the 600 too. The 600 is the older, more mature sibling that is smoother, more refined, and more "substantial" sounding. Music has more weight with the 600. On the other hand, the 598 was more open and spacious sounding. The 598 is lighter and clamps a little looser so it's more comfortable to wear than the 600. OTOH, the 600 seems more sturdily built.

Both actually are really nice and depending on your preferences, either one could really please you with all types of music.

One consideration I don't see mentioned very often is the 598's lower impedance. It's easier to drive with portable devices (although I never had trouble getting nice sound and volume out of the 600 with my iPod or Sansa Clip. But that lower impedance will make it harder to pair up with a headphone amp if that is your intention.

Just my humble opinion...both are great headphones.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,104 of 7,535
I listen to Shakira on HD 598 very often, and it sounds really good. Especially the live recordings like these. (Use 720p or 1080p on youtube for better sound)

The wide soundstage makes you feel you're there in the public.
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,106 of 7,535

Quote:
I listen to Shakira on HD 598 very often, and it sounds really good. Especially the live recordings like these. (Use 720p or 1080p on youtube for better sound)

The wide soundstage makes you feel you're there in the public.
smile.gif

Whoa, really?  How does it do with her studio albums [ her actual albums, obviously =)P ]?  Is the bass "rockin"?  I don't care for boomy bass, but I do wish for it to be there like it is on the HD 280.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,107 of 7,535
There is enough bass i believe. Though probably different than HD 280. Studio recordings might not sound that crisp and wide as the live versions, but still sounds good. You can't go wrong with these.
regular_smile%20.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,108 of 7,535

Quote:
^Thank you very much!

The only thing I have right now is a FiiO E10, but I plan on getting something like the Electric Avenue PA2v2.  The thing about the HD600 is that they say the sound stage is small.  How does it compare to the HD 280's sound stage?

I don't know. It's all between my ears when I listen to headphones.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,109 of 7,535
I bought the HD 598 a few months ago, then returned it in flavor of the AKG, then just last week when I got my Schiit Asgard, I realized that I missed the sound of the HD 598 a lot, and it's now in my possession once again. Even though I own more expensive headphones

Great headphones!

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,110 of 7,535

Quote:
I bought the HD 598 a few months ago, then returned in in flavor of the AKG, then just last week when I got my Schiit Asgard, I realized that I missed the sound of the HD 598 a lot, and it's now in my possession once again. Even though I own more expensive headphones

Great headphones!

How do you compare it with the HD 280?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back