Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #856 of 7,535
A question: would the 598s benefit much from upgrading an E10 to something in the 200-250 Euro range in terms of Amp/DAC? Or a separate Amp and DAC in and around the same price range? Or do you really have to go to the 6xx series before this starts being value for money?

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #857 of 7,535
In the spirit of the thread, I do have a compliment for these cans: There is NEVER a harsh moment. I can pump the volume up on a highly compressed rock album, and there's never a frequency that leaps out and makes me cringe. Very 'safe' and relaxing.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #859 of 7,535

Quote:
Yes.

Yes, a better amp would be the best upgrade or a DAC/Amp would be a better upgrade? I've read plenty of threads about people going from no amp/dac to an E7/E9 combo or similar and am wondering whether the E10's amp is as weak here as the E7's as to make it worthwhile getting an E9 or better amp. Is the E7's DAC good enough that a <$250 DAC/Amp isn't going to give much of an improvement versus sinking that money into a dedicated amp? 

Sorry for all the questions, really new to this whole amping business. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #860 of 7,535

Quote:
Yes, a better amp would be the best upgrade or a DAC/Amp would be a better upgrade? I've read plenty of threads about people going from no amp/dac to an E7/E9 combo or similar and am wondering whether the E10's amp is as weak here as the E7's as to make it worthwhile getting an E9 or better amp. Is the E7's DAC good enough that a <$250 DAC/Amp isn't going to give much of an improvement versus sinking that money into a dedicated amp? 

I think the HD598 would benefit from a quality amp and DAC.  While the E7/E9 combo is pretty good and cost effective, I think Audio GD's NFB-12 would be a better option.  You get a much better DAC section, a sound that is both smooth and detailed, and an amp section that can drive almost any dynamic headphone.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #861 of 7,535

Stick with the E10 for a while.  Its amp is similar to the E11 in a way.  Another DAC/Amp to consider is both the Audinst HUD-MX1 and the Yulong U100.  All of these are much better than the E7 as well as the E10.  You could even grab the E9 by itself to use as a dedicated amp if you wanted to.

I would recommend the Schiit Audio Asgard as a dedicated amp and you could use the E10 as a dedicated DAC.
Quote:

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #862 of 7,535
I'm not sure if my headphones are broken or I'm just a bit paranoic, here is the story
I was gone away from the keyboard for 20-30 minutes and I accidentally left the headphones under the heat of heat pump, when I was back I started listening to music and they crackled for around 10, maybe 15 seconds. Now they seems to be working fine but they are fair new (2 weeks or so) so, should I be worried ?
Could the cause be the heat or it was just a coincidence?
Thanks you very much guys.

Anyway I love them, using them with an Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Is it enough for "drive" them? I usually stuck at 40% of volume.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #863 of 7,535

Quote:
I think the HD598 would benefit from a quality amp and DAC.  While the E7/E9 combo is pretty good and cost effective, I think Audio GD's NFB-12 would be a better option.  You get a much better DAC section, a sound that is both smooth and detailed, and an amp section that can drive almost any dynamic headphone.

Quote:
Stick with the E10 for a while.  Its amp is similar to the E11 in a way.  Another DAC/Amp to consider is both the Audinst HUD-MX1 and the Yulong U100.  All of these are much better than the E7 as well as the E10.  You could even grab the E9 by itself to use as a dedicated amp if you wanted to.

I would recommend the Schiit Audio Asgard as a dedicated amp and you could use the E10 as a dedicated DAC.

I suppose my question is whether there is much audible difference in a DAC upgrade here or not in something like a double-blind? If there isn't much to be gained, I'd prefer to put aside the money towards more headphones. From memory, the issue with cheaper amps is distortion but I'm not finding myself able to notice any distortion while music is playing with the E10 on my HD25-IIs so I'm genuinely curious why I would want a more expensive amp. I'm also curious as to how a better amp improves SQ given what it does to the electrical signal. Is it an issue of colouring? Similar with a better DAC are we talking about colouring here rather than anything else? I get that the purposes of a DAC is accuracy, but am curious if cheaper gear really differentiates that much from each other)

Like I said, new to this and coming from a Physics background (not a sound one, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious) so genuinely curious about the benefits of more expensive amps here with respect to headphones that aren't that hard to drive with respect to technical details rather than subjective impressions (am as prone to the placebo effect as anyone else, which makes me sceptical of claims based on subjective impressions of equipment because I know that if I buy an expensive DAC I'll probably think it sounds better regardless even if the SQ doesn't really change). I read NwAvGuy's blog and am curious about evidence along similar technical lines for upgrading DACs etc. 

Maybe this is the wrong thread to be asking these kinds of questions though. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #866 of 7,535
I don't own the 598s but there is no recent thread for the 558s so I'd just like to say I love them and the 598s are similar. Out of the iPhone they are very flat. Out of my Creative X-Fi soundcard they have much better bass. Can't wait to get my Fiio E11 and try out all my gear on it. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #867 of 7,535

Quote:

I suppose my question is whether there is much audible difference in a DAC upgrade here or not in something like a double-blind? If there isn't much to be gained, I'd prefer to put aside the money towards more headphones. From memory, the issue with cheaper amps is distortion but I'm not finding myself able to notice any distortion while music is playing with the E10 on my HD25-IIs so I'm genuinely curious why I would want a more expensive amp. I'm also curious as to how a better amp improves SQ given what it does to the electrical signal. Is it an issue of colouring? Similar with a better DAC are we talking about colouring here rather than anything else? I get that the purposes of a DAC is accuracy, but am curious if cheaper gear really differentiates that much from each other)

Like I said, new to this and coming from a Physics background (not a sound one, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious) so genuinely curious about the benefits of more expensive amps here with respect to headphones that aren't that hard to drive with respect to technical details rather than subjective impressions (am as prone to the placebo effect as anyone else, which makes me sceptical of claims based on subjective impressions of equipment because I know that if I buy an expensive DAC I'll probably think it sounds better regardless even if the SQ doesn't really change). I read NwAvGuy's blog and am curious about evidence along similar technical lines for upgrading DACs etc. 

Maybe this is the wrong thread to be asking these kinds of questions though. 

Ah, sounds like we have an objectivist in the making.
wink.gif
  Well, if you're enjoying the sound of the HD598 as is, then that is really all that matters

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #868 of 7,535

Quote:
I don't own the 598s but there is no recent thread for the 558s so I'd just like to say I love them and the 598s are similar. Out of the iPhone they are very flat. Out of my Creative X-Fi soundcard they have much better bass. Can't wait to get my Fiio E11 and try out all my gear on it. 

I tell ya, all of the new HD500 series headphones are terrific.  Even the entry-level HD518 is quite good.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #869 of 7,535

Quote:

Ah, sounds like we have an objectivist in the making.
wink.gif
  Well, if you're enjoying the sound of the HD598 as is, then that is really all that matters

Just being initially sceptical because I know how easy it is to sell me shiny new things. 
normal_smile .gif

My inner need to collect shiny new tech is conflicting with my training in academics to be extremely sceptical of subjective human experiences. Not that I feel like preaching, if expensive cables make you enjoy your music more, more power to you etc. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #870 of 7,535
E10 with Cmoy BB
E10 with E9
Which will be a better combo? I can purchase a E9 for 56 dollars with my amazon gift cards. So the price is about the same.
Does anyone know a relatively simple cmoy i can build just for the fun of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back