Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #736 of 7,535
Dec 5, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #737 of 7,535
Got home from a crappy day at work and found my newly-purchased 598s waiting for me at the front door. My setup is rather ghetto at the moment, so I just plugged them into my old Sony HT receiver I’ve been using as a source, and man… these are incredible. I don’t even have to say they’re a huge upgrade from my HA-RX700s, but I will, because they are. 
biggrin.gif

At the same time, I can tell that with a bit of break-in and a good DAC/amp combo, they’ll become leaps better. Some music sounds recessed compared to my RX-700s, particularly the various Assassin’s Creed soundtracks, but I’m sure that’ll open up as I listen throughout the week and month.

I’m going to hang on to these for a looooooong time. 
beyersmile.png

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #738 of 7,535
I just bought these!  I had the HD 558s which I initially bought for $145 but I always somewhat regretted it because it wasn't the flagship of the series!  So Im returning them and I just purchased the HD 598s.  I've seen the HD 598s go for as low as $173 and I've been waiting for them to get that low again, but alas, I could wait no longer and bought them for $230.00 
blink.gif
 The next day they dropped to $173!  WHAT THE HELL!  I haggled with the customer support on Amazon.com and they gave me a refund for the difference. Now I definately don't feel that I overpaid for them.  Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the HD 598s + Fiio E10. 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #739 of 7,535

Quote:
Are you serious?

Hi,

In hindsight, that was probably a stupid question.

But if I had to choose between the harshness/crunch/edge of guitars and good sub-bass, I'd go for harshness any day. 

I enjoy getting raeped by electric guitars. 

Edit: Metallica is overrated. inb4rage 

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #740 of 7,535
Thoughts on HRT Music Streamer II > Matrix M-Stage v2 > HD598?

Does anyone have this particular combo and care to comment? My source would be my Macbook Pro.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #741 of 7,535

Quote:

Edit: Metallica is overrated. inb4rage 

OT but even if Metallica is overrated musically, they are incredibly significant historically.  I still love And Justice For All most and like everything before it....even musically.  ;P

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #742 of 7,535

Quote:
I just bought these!  I had the HD 558s which I initially bought for $145 but I always somewhat regretted it because it wasn't the flagship of the series!  So Im returning them and I just purchased the HD 598s.  I've seen the HD 598s go for as low as $173 and I've been waiting for them to get that low again, but alas, I could wait no longer and bought them for $230.00 
blink.gif
 The next day they dropped to $173!  WHAT THE HELL!  I haggled with the customer support on Amazon.com and they gave me a refund for the difference. Now I definately don't feel that I overpaid for them.  Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the HD 598s + Fiio E10. 
darthsmile.gif

Would love to hear your thoughts on that setup. :)

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #743 of 7,535
Hi people. I'm new to this forum. Hmm, I'm by no means an audiophile, but rather just someone who appreciates music.
Just a bit of background. I've been using HD 555 (sponge modded) for the last 4 years. To try out & perhaps get an upgrade, I just got my HD 598 today.
However, is it just me or is it for any reasons that I feel that I prefer the sound of my HD 555.

I'll try to explain. I felt that my HD 555 was more "open" and have a wider sound stage than HD 598. On the other hand, HD 598 feels more "warm" & it's bass is better than HD 555. But I'm someone who love vocal & clarity of music, so bass is not an important aspect to me.

My question is: Is what I'm feeling normal? Any guys who have the HD 555 & 598 care to share your experience? Thanks :)

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #744 of 7,535
I have both headphones and the HD598 does have a bit more bass and a fuller more natural sound. The HD555 is a thinner sound and may sound better if your source and amp are not up to par. I like the soundstage of HD598 and I have very good stand alone equipment to drive them. I prefer the HD598 better than the HD555.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #745 of 7,535

Quote:
blink.gif
darthsmile.gif

I would also appreciate your impressions. I just ordered my HD598 and would like to know if E10 is worth it. I have heard someone noticing little difference so right now, I am a bit hesitant.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #746 of 7,535

Quote:
Hi people. I'm new to this forum. Hmm, I'm by no means an audiophile, but rather just someone who appreciates music.
Just a bit of background. I've been using HD 555 (sponge modded) for the last 4 years. To try out & perhaps get an upgrade, I just got my HD 598 today.
However, is it just me or is it for any reasons that I feel that I prefer the sound of my HD 555.

I'll try to explain. I felt that my HD 555 was more "open" and have a wider sound stage than HD 598. On the other hand, HD 598 feels more "warm" & it's bass is better than HD 555. But I'm someone who love vocal & clarity of music, so bass is not an important aspect to me.

My question is: Is what I'm feeling normal? Any guys who have the HD 555 & 598 care to share your experience? Thanks :)

No, for me everything you said is the opposite.  Except the bass which is better on the 598.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #747 of 7,535

Quote:
In a sense I know what you mean.  I think the discrepancy you describe is the closed versus open nature of the phones.  The signature of the M50 really gives you a nice intimate right there sort of immersion.  Romantic and engaging in an emotional sense hitting just the right wow aspects in bass and treble when it's done right.  The 598 is more technical and presents music very differently.  It's also engaging but more in a sense about what the headphone is showing you rather than just letting you get lost, so it's more cerebral in a sense.  It's like comparing a symphony concert at the Met to a smoky Jazz club experience.  They both have a place and can be nice compliments IMO.

I like think of the 598s as its all around you. For the M50s, its all within you.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #750 of 7,535
Just got my HD598s in the mail a few hours ago and i am can say these are DEFINITELY keepers. Coming from the MS1000i, i did not perceive that infamous "Sennheiser Veil" that the HD6XX people are talking about, i'm just loving the mids they produce when paired with the DACport, I was actually considering getting these AND the SRH940s but.... well these are enough to keep me satisfied for a LOOONG time.

Edit: yeah and uhmm, if anybody's wondering, the headband on my HD598s don't creak at all, i don't think there will be any cracking either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back