Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #691 of 7,535
You can see in this video how you can remove the pads, but as i have one HD 448 and a HD 598, i'm telling you the HD 598's are much larger. Not a chance to fit on HD 438.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #692 of 7,535

Quote:
You can see in this video how you can remove the pads, but as i have one HD 448 and a HD 598, i'm telling you the HD 598's are much larger. Not a chance to fit on HD 438.

I don't need them to fit. How much larger?

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #694 of 7,535
Pull harder. My HD 438s have a similar "locking mechanism". You have to hold one end real steady and pull the pads across the face of the driver with quite a bit of force. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #695 of 7,535
I've owned the m50s for ~1 year and recently bought the HD 598s. I've had them for about 2 weeks or so with at least 40+ hours of burn in.

In most respects I like the Senns more than the Audio Technicas, but I can't help but feel that the 598s are less engaging. It feels like drums and guitars in particular are slow, whereas the m50s make everything feel right on time. Also the dynamics in general are less drastic to me.

I realize "engaging" is highly subjective, but does anyone else feel this way about the 598s in comparison to another pair of headphones? Perhaps it's because the m50s have a more in-your-face soundstage while the 598s put you a few rows back. Any thoughts?

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #696 of 7,535
I thought the M50s were one of the most boring headphones I've ever heard. I feel that the amazing mids (and great imaging) on the 598 make it much more engaging than the M50 but of course...to each their own.

Quote:
I've owned the m50s for ~1 year and recently bought the HD 598s. I've had them for about 2 weeks or so with at least 40+ hours of burn in.

In most respects I like the Senns more than the Audio Technicas, but I can't help but feel that the 598s are less engaging. It feels like drums and guitars in particular are slow, whereas the m50s make everything feel right on time. Also the dynamics in general are less drastic to me.

I realize "engaging" is highly subjective, but does anyone else feel this way about the 598s in comparison to another pair of headphones? Perhaps it's because the m50s have a more in-your-face soundstage while the 598s put you a few rows back. Any thoughts?

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #697 of 7,535

Quote:

More specifically, when listening to hard rock / metal music. For example, in the first ~25 seconds of "When the Musics Over" I can't help but feel that Jim Morrison's yelling is more tame
 than it felt on the m50.

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #699 of 7,535
How are people's experience with it's durability so far? I've been looking at mine for a couple of days and already I'm getting some heebie jeebies out of its construction.  The overall build quality reminds me of the beats pro when I was expecting it to be closer to the ATH-M50s I've owned.  That fact this ostensibly premium headphone is "Made in China" only creates further worries....

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #700 of 7,535
I have a pair of 558s that's less than a month old (should be same construction more or less). The overall durability seems alright, it does creak on one side when you're stretching it though. Hoping it won't crack, but even if it does, we have two year warranty so it's alright.

Quote:
How are people's experience with it's durability so far? I've been looking at mine for a couple of days and already I'm getting some heebie jeebies out of its construction.  The overall build quality reminds me of the beats pro when I was expecting it to be closer to the ATH-M50s I've owned.  That fact this ostensibly premium headphone is "Made in China" only creates further worries....

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #703 of 7,535

Quote:

I've owned mine since release and it has a tiny crack. It's been this way for 4 months or more and hasn't expanded. If it fully cracks I can probably glue it back together with a special glue. I voided my warranty by recabling it though, but no big deal.

$250 new retail for an all plastic headphone that cracks just isn't cool. Yes, it's good they fixed them. Makes me appreciate the build quality of AKG headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back