Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #571 of 7,535

Quote:
Does anybody know what has been happening to these?

For the past month or so, they have all went up back to $249 retail. I remember for quite a while they had them for $180 on Amazon and many other stores, then they all shoot up. A week or so ago, they only had "one" on Amazon and it was from a 3rd party seller. Even older headphones like the HD595 have like 15-20 sellers. So my question is, where have they all gone and why did the price shoot back up to retail? I'm guessing because of sales, but when all the buzz was going a few months after introduction is when the price went down to $180 and stayed their for awhile. Anyway, until the price goes back down again, I will not buy these. If they never go down, then my business goes elsewhere.

You can still probably call JR and get them for $180. Last time I checked on Amazon I was all confused because they didn't have a single pair in stock?! Maybe they'e a huge hit lately and sell out really fast. Who knows. Not sure if they're worth $249.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #573 of 7,535

Quote:
You can still probably call JR and get them for $180. Last time I checked on Amazon I was all confused because they didn't have a single pair in stock?! Maybe they'e a huge hit lately and sell out really fast. Who knows. Not sure if they're worth $249.

J&R's website has them for $200 right now. Free shipping promo too.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #574 of 7,535
Some people have had issues with Dakmart (Dahmart on amazon) but I've had two perfect "refurb" purchases this year, the Denon D700 and the 598.  598 was $144 plus about 6 bucks or so shipping.  Work perfectly.  I like them, too.  Very underrated, easy to drive and smooth like buttah.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #575 of 7,535

Quote:
Some people have had issues with Dakmart (Dahmart on amazon) but I've had two perfect "refurb" purchases this year, the Denon D700 and the 598.  598 was $144 plus about 6 bucks or so shipping.  Work perfectly.  I like them, too.  Very underrated, easy to drive and smooth like buttah.

I remember those DAK catalogs. They sold crap from China back when everything made in China was crap.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #576 of 7,535
You sold your D7000? Sad panda 
wink.gif

Quote:

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #577 of 7,535

Quote:
You sold your D7000? Sad panda 
wink.gif

Panda be glad.  I loved the low bass, but, if I played a good acoustic (read Steinway Grand) piano, jazz or classical recorded pretty well, it just didn't sound like that liveliness that you get when you're in the presence of one.  All my other dynamics did it better.  It was a deal breaker for me.  I'm just not going to have a fairly expensive can for just certain things.  Too bad.  Maybe if there's ever a meet in our area again (hint, hint) and I hear an ortho that can do that piano thing, and no doubt they can, pardon the expression, I could go back to an ortho.  But, the next time, I'm going to be vewy, vewy caweful.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #578 of 7,535
Quote:

Hmm, does email work or do you have to call them? I did see that they have them for $200 free shipping, as another user mentioned, which is actually still quite a decent deal. It's funny, because I remember you mentioning that you like the HD598 over the HD600 and HD650. So, if the HD598's aren't worth it at $250 for you, then how bad of a value are the HD600 and HD650?
tongue.gif
I personally think the HD600 is quite a good price for what it does, but generally, headphones loose value the more you pay. That's expected though.

I am really planning on buying these again, and will actually keep them. The new AT A*00X series look really tempting too. Love the pads!

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #579 of 7,535

Quote:
Hmm, does email work or do you have to call them? I did see that they have them for $200 free shipping, as another user mentioned, which is actually still quite a decent deal. It's funny, because I remember you mentioning that you like the HD598 over the HD600 and HD650. So, if the HD598's aren't worth it at $250 for you, then how bad of a value are the HD600 and HD650?
tongue.gif
I personally think the HD600 is quite a good price for what it does, but generally, headphones loose value the more you pay. That's expected though.

I am really planning on buying these again, and will actually keep them. The new AT A*00X series look really tempting too. Love the pads!

I bought the 598's for $180 and the 600's for $270 a few months ago. I returned the 598's - the 600's are $90 better to me.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #580 of 7,535

HE500. :wink:
Quote:
Panda be glad.  I loved the low bass, but, if I played a good acoustic (read Steinway Grand) piano, jazz or classical recorded pretty well, it just didn't sound like that liveliness that you get when you're in the presence of one.  All my other dynamics did it better.  It was a deal breaker for me.  I'm just not going to have a fairly expensive can for just certain things.  Too bad.  Maybe if there's ever a meet in our area again (hint, hint) and I hear an ortho that can do that piano thing, and no doubt they can, pardon the expression, I could go back to an ortho.  But, the next time, I'm going to be vewy, vewy caweful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back