Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #541 of 7,535

Quote:
Recabling sound changes are grossly overstated around these parts. The nicest thing about recables is improved cable quality (ie. build quality), and customized length/termination (not to mention they're sexy). 

That dual entry cheater is rocking' is stunning. 

I'm recabling my LCD 2 because I want a longer cable that gives me balanced and SE options (via adapters), and improved flexibility. I could care less about sound changes...I actually hope it doesn't change. lol

Exactly. Fussing over how cables affect sound quality is going too darn far.

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #543 of 7,535

Quote:
Recabling sound changes are grossly overstated around these parts. The nicest thing about recables is improved cable quality (ie. build quality), and customized length/termination (not to mention they're sexy). 

That dual entry cheater is rocking' is stunning. 

I'm recabling my LCD 2 because I want a longer cable that gives me balanced and SE options (via adapters), and improved flexibility. I could care less about sound changes...I actually hope it doesn't change. lol

Imo, a well made point

regards

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #545 of 7,535

Quote:
WAIT i almost forgot, the long 558 cable can be quite annoying at times

Wrap it round your neck
wink_face.gif

Children, dont try this at home ...

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #547 of 7,535
Cheers guys, being a student on a budget really kills you when looking round Head-Fi, I have to consider which upgrade will increase sq the most. I'd like to grow up without too much debt... But those Beyer T50ps look so nice... 

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #548 of 7,535

Quote:
Cheers guys, being a student on a budget really kills you when looking round Head-Fi, I have to consider which upgrade will increase sq the most. I'd like to grow up without too much debt... But those Beyer T50ps look so nice... 

you're not the only one with a tight student budget

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #551 of 7,535
Greetings!

A colleague from the Grado camp here. Lately I've noticed that my headphones have been secretly affecting my choice of music therefore I'm looking to diversify. Currently I'm rocking out with the SR80i and a few days ago auditioned most Sennheiser models until HD600. The ones that caught my attention were HD25-II, HD598 and HD600. While the HD25-II seems a good portable phone though buying it doesn't seem much of a sidegrade from the Grado sound- it was a bit more laid back, but there still was a distinct lack of soundstage. Then came the HD598 and HD600. Both were fed from a Rotel CD player and amplified through a Phonitor. Of course that the HD600 was a tad more detailed, but I'm not sure about the investment needed to properly feed them. Might as well then go all out electrostatic. HD598 on the other hand does not need fancy amping, right? I'm not talking about volume- with SR80i I barely go over 50% on my laptop. Can a laptop drive them with good authority? I'll dive into amping when I get a dedicated source, for now the laptop should suffice.

Any, comments, rants, reflections are welcome.

P.S. Sennheiser is spoiling you with the comfort.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #552 of 7,535
You think Senns are comfy...? Try a Denon.

Also. The 598 doesn't need an amp like the 600 does, but I do question your logic when it comes to amping them. 

Maybe...$500 for a really nice 600 + Amp combo...or a minimum of a grand or so (on the low end) of 'stats. lol

Either way the 598 is usually my recommendation for someone wanting to get away from Grados without stepping too far. I'd say go for it. They're an excellent headphone.

Quote:
Greetings!

A colleague from the Grado camp here. Lately I've noticed that my headphones have been secretly affecting my choice of music therefore I'm looking to diversify. Currently I'm rocking out with the SR80i and a few days ago auditioned most Sennheiser models until HD600. The ones that caught my attention were HD25-II, HD598 and HD600. While the HD25-II seems a good portable phone though buying it doesn't seem much of a sidegrade from the Grado sound- it was a bit more laid back, but there still was a distinct lack of soundstage. Then came the HD598 and HD600. Both were fed from a Rotel CD player and amplified through a Phonitor. Of course that the HD600 was a tad more detailed, but I'm not sure about the investment needed to properly feed them. Might as well then go all out electrostatic. HD598 on the other hand does not need fancy amping, right? I'm not talking about volume- with SR80i I barely go over 50% on my laptop. Can a laptop drive them with good authority? I'll dive into amping when I get a dedicated source, for now the laptop should suffice.

Any, comments, rants, reflections are welcome.

P.S. Sennheiser is spoiling you with the comfort.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #553 of 7,535
Thanks for the info. As I said- my logic for amping them hasn't matured yet. I know that my Grado doesn't need additional amping when fed from any reasonable device with a headphone-out. Also electrostatics are a pure fantasy for me so far, I may audition a few, if all goes well. Therefore so far my sights are set on the HD598, also I'm not too crazy about the faux marble on the HD600. Time will tell, I'm not in a big hurry.

And after the Grado everything is comfortable. I can stand them, but wearing the HD598 was a pleasure.

Quote:
You think Senns are comfy...? Try a Denon.

Also. The 598 doesn't need an amp like the 600 does, but I do question your logic when it comes to amping them. 

Maybe...$500 for a really nice 600 + Amp combo...or a minimum of a grand or so (on the low end) of 'stats. lol

Either way the 598 is usually my recommendation for someone wanting to get away from Grados without stepping too far. I'd say go for it. They're an excellent headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back