Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #6,886 of 7,535
Listen. I've been recording with thousands of dollars worth of microphones and have used studio monitor speakers for the past ten plus years. Headphones are somewhat new to me. But it is part of my job to be able to read the frequency response of microphones. The things I say are facts not opinions. It is simply impossible to do my job on colored headphones and headphones that dont have a extended frequency response. There are people on this forum that agree with my assessment of the 598 which are.my first headphones in many many years. One look at the frequency response chart shows a sharp drop off at 9khz. The human voice ends at about 7 to 8 khz. All the way to 20khz are mainly instruments and sound effects and they are very important frequencies that you need to hear when referencing microphone recordings. The voice is also affected by the cut btw... Yes I herd the m40x sound boring in comparison to the more colored and v shaped m50x. That's only good for people who want overly emphasized "fun" headphones. Check out this review of the Sony MDR where he mentions the m40x if you want mixing headphones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b9CLPtr3RU&t=425s

Again, headphones are used for different applications. Some of you people use headphones as a magical toy. Some of us use them to do our job.

Somehow I knew that would not be all you had to say.

We get it.  You do not like them.  They do not meet yours needs. 

Find a tool for your job that does meet your needs and leave us, "some of you people" to our "magical toys".

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #6,887 of 7,535
Listen. I've been recording with thousands of dollars worth of microphones and have used studio monitor speakers for the past ten plus years. Headphones are somewhat new to me. But it is part of my job to be able to read the frequency response of microphones. The things I say are facts not opinions. It is simply impossible to do my job on colored headphones and headphones that dont have a extended frequency response. There are people on this forum that agree with my assessment of the 598 which are.my first headphones in many many years. One look at the frequency response chart shows a sharp drop off at 9khz. The human voice ends at about 7 to 8 khz. All the way to 20khz are mainly instruments and sound effects and they are very important frequencies that you need to hear when referencing microphone recordings. The voice is also affected by the cut btw... Yes I herd the m40x sound boring in comparison to the more colored and v shaped m50x. That's only good for people who want overly emphasized "fun" headphones. Check out this review of the Sony MDR where he mentions the m40x if you want mixing headphones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b9CLPtr3RU&t=425s

Again, headphones are used for different applications. Some of you people use headphones as a magical toy. Some of us use them to do our job.

Well then, you should have done your homework, study the FR chart and know that these are not what you need in the first place.
Most of us, simple music lovers don't use them as a tool for assessing microphones. And with all the loudness wars and the way music is produced today, with brightness and artificial sounding vocals, and auto-tune that never EVER seems to go out of style, using headphone monitors to listen to that is simply painful even if you listen to that occasionally. You can't always listen to proper recorded music. Today's "music" is produced to sound LOUD out of bad equipment. Using flat-FR studio monitors to listen to that, DOUBLES the effect.

Yes, the HD 598 might be colored, but the ultimate result for a lot of people that love them is that they are versatile and enjoyable for a lot of genres, and very comfortable for home use, both in sound and physically. Which studio monitors do that?

The FR curve not always reflects the end experience that in this case IMO, is that of a very natural sound, more similar to what I hear from a set of speakers, whereas perfectly flat studio monitor headphones, will actually not sound that way when the sound source is half inch close to your ear. Yes they are good as a tool, but not for listening to music for hours.

So saying "they are awful for music" and "only for people that are magical in their way of thinking" are stereotypes and serve no good.
You are the one that is wrong in trying to use them as a tool when they are meant to be used... well, yes! as a "magical toy" :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #6,888 of 7,535
i feel like a king being attacked by peasants who also happen to have Asperger syndrome and cant handle normal real world higher frequencies. enjoy your audio sounding like a sm58 recording. unsub'd form this awful thread.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #6,889 of 7,535
  i feel like a king being attacked by peasants who also happen to have Asperger syndrome and cant handle normal real world higher frequencies. enjoy your audio sounding like a sm58 recording. unsub'd form this awful thread.

Yay...

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #6,891 of 7,535

Why does this guy sound like Trump

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,895 of 7,535
Cool song, she sounds great. I can't tell if there is a chorus effect on her voice during the refrain or if they actually layered her vocals in that part. Sounds trippy. All the stereo delay is awesome too on headphones especially. Glad to see some positivity here again!

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #6,896 of 7,535

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #6,897 of 7,535
Cool song, she sounds great. I can't tell if there is a chorus effect on her voice during the refrain or if they actually layered her vocals in that part. Sounds trippy. All the stereo delay is awesome too on headphones especially. Glad to see some positivity here again!

Don't know man, but it sounds mesmerising, soulful warm and intimate, really great music that I grew up with.

These also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yIm3o71v0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B26pyWvYuCc (cheesy video but the song is wonderful)

I tried to find the best sound quality, but youtube don't do them justice, you'll have to get Xanadu Original Sountrack in flac.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #6,898 of 7,535
Hi! I would buy new headphones for my fiio x1 2nd gen. with fiio A3 amp. I've seen sennheiser hd 598 se and beyerdynamic dt 770 pro (80 ohm) but I can't choice one of them. I've never used open headphones, so I'm curious about hd 598 and his sound stage, otherwise I usually listen rap/hip hop/electronic music so maybe dt 770 could be better for bass sounds. Could you give me an advice about it?

Inviato dal mio LG-H850 utilizzando Tapatalk

Maybe try the closed edition of the 598s? It might be the best of both worlds. You'll have the big bass presence of the dt770 and the convenience factor of the smaller sennheiser?

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #6,899 of 7,535
Why does this guy sound like Trump

He forgot the part that the amount of outside noise that leaks in from them is YUUUUUUGE

(sorry, had to)

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #6,900 of 7,535
OK, back to serious.  One of the things I like with my 598s is that while they aren't as good in 99.99999% of the ways my HD700 is good (and that includes balancing them... which does wonders for the 598), the 598 is a MUCH more portable setup than the 700.  The 598 can deal with around the neck wear, or being thrown in a bag.  The HD700s have to travel in their box, which while GORGEOUS is quite large and a bit unwieldy for "quick packing".  When I'm traveling, the 598s are more than sufficient, but at home.. 700s all the way.  

Short version: I'd rather listen to the 700s all day as my end-game, but if I'm traveling, I'm more than content with 598s for hotel / staying at the girlfriend's place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back