Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #6,872 of 7,535
Cybrupt,
I feel you man!.  You're probably used to reference speakers like me.  I was like, where's the high treble?  Where's the low bass?  You'll find that there are not many truly accurate sounding headphones out there.  Before my 598 SEs I had some Grados that were even crazier...the frequency response was super peaky through the treble region and they were very fatiguing to listen to.  All headphones make compromises...its like a single-driver speaker design.  EQ was the answer for me.  If you have the capacity in your setup to use EQ, consider giving this a shot:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/826473/custom-eq-for-sennheiser-hd-598-lifting-the-veil-cfg-files-included

If you are into recording, you probably already have a parametric EQ plugin on your computer.  If not, there are some free ones.  Good luck!

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #6,876 of 7,535
I'm curious to know, at what kind of volume you listen to the 598CS? On my PC (Realtek chip) I can't raise the volume over 15% or they'll be deafening (bonus, I can 100% the volume and use them as neck speakers). On my phone (OnePlus 3) I can't raise over 50%.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #6,877 of 7,535
Seeing as this is an impressions thread, I decided to share my own experience with this phone.

A friend of mine borrowed me his 598s a while ago - while the soundstage and details were very impressive, I did find them really lacking to serve the music that I enjoy the most - metal music, and a couple of harder electronic styles. For some reason metal just doesn't sound right on these phones - the aggression is way too tamed for my taste. They are truly amazing for music such as Dead Can Dance though - Lisa Gerrard's vocals sound mindblowing on them!

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #6,878 of 7,535
Didn't think I believed in burn-in, but I recently passed the three hundred-hour mark on my 598 and they are sounding really, really, really good. Definitely better than fifty hours ago. Enormous soundstage! I find myself listening to them in preference to more expensive headphones. Not a metal person, but definitely a classic rock guy and they rock! Viva burn-in.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #6,879 of 7,535
  Didn't think I believed in burn-in, but I recently passed the three hundred-hour mark on my 598 and they are sounding really, really, really good. Definitely better than fifty hours ago. Enormous soundstage! I find myself listening to them in preference to more expensive headphones. Not a metal person, but definitely a classic rock guy and they rock! Viva burn-in.

They were grainy for a bit when I used them. Then they seemed to clear up. You should be a bit more specific on why you think these are better than more expensive headphones. I personally after using them for a week before selling them am quite confident that they have no top end frequency response past 9-10khz. it only goes back up at 20khz which is false advertising or in the very least deceptive as hell. They have no sub bass. The bass/lower mids are hilariously inflated/colored. I use speakers/headphones for referencing recordings so my main goal is flat frequency response. I will most likely get the m40x because of that. I'm not saying the 598 is total garbage. But i honestly thought it was awful for music and had nothing but midrange frequencies that were outragiously colored. It was awful for music, general listening, and especially monitoring. I played counter-strike with them and all the guns sounded muffled. instead of a sharp high frequency BANG!. they were more like. Umph! Funny.

I think honestly the only people who will like the 598 are people who are very "magical" in their way of thinking.

For example, excusing the overly hyped lower mids to give the headphones some "thump" as just the wonder and aww of open headphone magic.

They will excuse the lack of top end as the easy on the ears "sennheiser veil" for long listening.

They will say the "soundstage" which is nothing more than a lack of detail and muffled sound is actually as if youre sitting in a concert hall.

All of this is hilarious to me really. At the end of the day I couldn't agree more with a review that said it sounds like youre listening to music on the other side of a closed door. Muffled, distant, etc. Anyway, that's all I have to say.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #6,880 of 7,535
What a load of crap!
People on 460 pages, stop being "magical in your thinking", throw your 598s in the bin and get a life! And stop smoking!
Dude, everyone hears differently but you hear very VERY differently, or your headphones are broken, because not a thing you say reflects the general opinion about the 598s. Most people don't like scalpels in their ears. Your "veil" is my "natural" and soundstage has nothing to do with "lack of detail", on the contrary. Also why do you expect them to be monitors when they are not. If you only like monitors and clinical sound you should get monitors and not bash a perfectly likeable headphone.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #6,881 of 7,535
  They were grainy for a bit when I used them. Then they seemed to clear up. You should be a bit more specific on why you think these are better than more expensive headphones. I personally after using them for a week before selling them am quite confident that they have no top end frequency response past 9-10khz. it only goes back up at 20khz which is false advertising or in the very least deceptive as hell. They have no sub bass. The bass/lower mids are hilariously inflated/colored. I use speakers/headphones for referencing recordings so my main goal is flat frequency response. I will most likely get the m40x because of that. I'm not saying the 598 is total garbage. But i honestly thought it was awful for music and had nothing but midrange frequencies that were outragiously colored. It was awful for music, general listening, and especially monitoring. I played counter-strike with them and all the guns sounded muffled. instead of a sharp high frequency BANG!. they were more like. Umph! Funny.

I think honestly the only people who will like the 598 are people who are very "magical" in their way of thinking.

For example, excusing the overly hyped lower mids to give the headphones some "thump" as just the wonder and aww of open headphone magic.

They will excuse the lack of top end as the easy on the ears "sennheiser veil" for long listening.

They will say the "soundstage" which is nothing more than a lack of detail and muffled sound is actually as if youre sitting in a concert hall.

All of this is hilarious to me really. At the end of the day I couldn't agree more with a review that said it sounds like youre listening to music on the other side of a closed door. Muffled, distant, etc. Anyway, that's all I have to say.

I hope so.  Of your 5 posts here on Head-fi 4 of them are complaining about the HD598. 

Probably time move on...

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #6,882 of 7,535

I don't mean to offend, but IMO it's highly unlikely that they started sounding noticeably better at 250 or 300 hours.  Most impressions I've read, and from my own experience, the 598 do not benefit much, if at all, from burn in.  Any slight change in sound will be noticeable within the first several hours, if at all.  I know there are some that will disagree (there always are), but I think the vast majority of owners will agree no substantial benefit from burn in with the 598.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #6,883 of 7,535

Had the M40x.  Can't touch the 598 in any aspect.  V-shaped.  Vocals sound thin.  Bass sounds muddy, lacking definition.  M50x much better.  And 598 the best of all.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #6,884 of 7,535
Listen. I've been recording with thousands of dollars worth of microphones and have used studio monitor speakers for the past ten plus years. Headphones are somewhat new to me. But it is part of my job to be able to read the frequency response of microphones. The things I say are facts not opinions. It is simply impossible to do my job on colored headphones and headphones that dont have a extended frequency response. There are people on this forum that agree with my assessment of the 598 which are.my first headphones in many many years. One look at the frequency response chart shows a sharp drop off at 9khz. The human voice ends at about 7 to 8 khz. All the way to 20khz are mainly instruments and sound effects and they are very important frequencies that you need to hear when referencing microphone recordings. The voice is also affected by the cut btw... Yes I herd the m40x sound boring in comparison to the more colored and v shaped m50x. That's only good for people who want overly emphasized "fun" headphones. Check out this review of the Sony MDR where he mentions the m40x if you want mixing headphones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b9CLPtr3RU&t=425s

Again, headphones are used for different applications. Some of you people use headphones as a magical toy. Some of us use them to do our job.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #6,885 of 7,535
So you used thousands of dollars worth of microphone and speakers to do your job but now using headphones which cost less than a couple of hundred for your job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back