Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #6,586 of 7,535
I was listening to music with my 598 today and there was this bad song that had a loud pop at the end, while it was playing, I forgot about the pop. so when it occurred - it was loud. Can that pop affect the voice coil or the diaphragm? also,  how much DB can the HD 598s drivers take without damaging the diaphragm? 

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #6,587 of 7,535
  I was listening to music with my 598 today and there was this bad song that had a loud pop at the end, while it was playing, I forgot about the pop. so when it occurred - it was loud. Can that pop affect the voice coil or the diaphragm? also,  how much DB can the HD 598s drivers take without damaging the diaphragm? 

I'm not an expert, so I can't answer from technical standpoint, but if there was any damage done, you would hear the cans sound different.  As long as they sound the same after that pop, they should be fine.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #6,589 of 7,535
  Forgot who asked about this cable a few pages back.. but it took 2 weeks to get from China.. overall.. very happy with it. 

Better clarity, bigger soundstage, detailed bass, fuller mids, crisper highs. I'm blown away.

jk.. on the tracks I tested back and forth.. there was little to no change in sound. :p

Some comparison pictures of the cables.

The headphone end socket is a 4-pole connection with two grounds? 
Could I use a 2.5mm upgrade TRRS cable for a balanced connection?
If it is indeed 4-pole, is the pole configuration same as HiFiMan players or AK players?

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #6,590 of 7,535
The headphone end socket is a 4-pole connection with two grounds? 
Could I use a 2.5mm upgrade TRRS cable for a balanced connection?
If it is indeed 4-pole, is the pole configuration same as HiFiMan players or AK players?

Well, sort of yes for the 4 pole connection, but no for a two ground connection, like a balanced one...... coz the headphone end female socket is a TRRS but the negative/ground of L and R channels are shorted to be as SE. So the reason it sounds like the senn cables, as the after-market cables are just 2.5mm TRS.

OTOH, If you look at the after-market cable, its a TRS (regular stereo/SE) 2.5mm jack which has R+, L+ and common ground (L- & R-).......so its a NO to your 2nd question.

3rd question- The balanced TRRS is an universal standard for any mfr just like what a SE TRS is.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #6,591 of 7,535
Well, sort of yes for the 4 pole connection, but no for a two ground connection, like a balanced one...... coz the headphone end female socket is a TRRS but the negative/ground of L and R channels are shorted to be as SE. So the reason it sounds like the senn cables, as the after-market cables are just 2.5mm TRS.

OTOH, If you look at the after-market cable, its a TRS (regular stereo/SE) 2.5mm jack which has R+, L+ and common ground (L- & R-).......so its a NO to your 2nd question.

3rd question- The balanced TRRS is an universal standard for any mfr just like what a SE TRS is.

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #6,594 of 7,535

rosmadimahmood, the Insider of Sennheiser replied:
"Yes, it's a 4-pole connection - Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground and Mic"

Does that mean it is meant for only mic and not 2.5mm TRRS balanced operation?

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #6,595 of 7,535
rosmadimahmood, the Insider of Sennheiser replied:
"Yes, it's a 4-pole connection - Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground and Mic"

Does that mean it is meant for only mic and not 2.5mm TRRS balanced operation?

you got that rite.....coz the balanced connection has 2 discrete grounds,not just single grnd nor a mic. Ros quoted with mic for the 4th pole which is a "short" connection actually like I mentiined earlier.

Btw, Do you already own a balanced dap or planning to buy one, if the 598 trrs upgrade cable does it balanced?.w/o any diy?.....or its just out of curiousity question!......anyway this is my que out of curiosity.:wink:

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #6,597 of 7,535
well, i had previously posted that the HD 598s sound boomy.  That is not that case anymore. The bass has almost settled, so is the harsh treble. treble sounds soft, but has a bright coating to it. Cymbals sound a bit unnatural and dry coz of that. do you guys hear the same? or it still needs more burn in? I love the sound. It is so effortlessly airy that the sound literally floats in the space. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #6,598 of 7,535
I was lucky enough to pick up my HD598 for $30 due to amazon pricing error
biggrin.gif

Whaaaatttt?

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #6,599 of 7,535
I had a similar deal on Amazon a year ago at $28.27. I wanted a pair, so every morning with my coffee I would check the price, and then woke up one morning with the same routine and Bam.Bought them. Was skeptical that the transaction would go at that price, but it did. You just have to keep watching. Every day. You can also try 3camel.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #6,600 of 7,535
you got that rite.....coz the balanced connection has 2 discrete grounds,not just single grnd nor a mic. Ros quoted with mic for the 4th pole which is a "short" connection actually like I mentiined earlier.

Btw, Do you already own a balanced dap or planning to buy one, if the 598 trrs upgrade cable does it balanced?.w/o any diy?.....or its just out of curiousity question!......anyway this is my que out of curiosity.
wink.gif

Well, it's my Onkyo DP-X1. People keep claiming that the 2.5mm balanced out is a lot better than SE because it makes use of dual DACs and dual amps inside while SE puts only one each to use. I just wanted to experience it with a balanced headphone. I don't want to mod any of my existing pairs except HD 598 Cs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back