Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #5,671 of 7,535
Whoops! Then I guess you won't like the reply I just posted to you.

@everyone else: sorry for the double post, I don't like that either. But I don't like edits either, and I didn't want to edit my post to add that one more reply (especially when I was replying to someone who doen't like multiple replies in the same post).

Nah, you're good! LOL  That reply wasn't super long.  However, in my case, my replies can get lengthy so I don't like to do one, huge, long reply to multiple posts.  Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.  Some people prefer a string of replies to individual posts, while others prefer one, long reply to multiple posts.  We each have our own preference of how we'd like things presented.  In the end, it still takes up the same amount of space.  You can't make everyone happy all of the time no matter what you do.

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #5,672 of 7,535
  When I said the SE were cheaper, I was replying to @mahajanrahul's local pricing in India, and there have been other posters that have said they are cheaper in their locale.

You mentioned that the SE have plastic screws vs metal screws on the Ivory.  That would be one indication of cost cutting, and it's pretty safe to say if they looked at at, then they looked at other ways to reduce costs.  It's typical when a company releases a new model and especially a refresh, that they look to cut costs even further.  So yeah, no proof, but probability.

I'm not sure the SE was or still is an Amazon exclusive, but I thought I read that somewhere here.  Maybe I was wrong.

The SE is Amazon only but Sennheiser definitely did more than just change the color (and the screws).

Even with lighter plastic screws and a shorter cable included, specs on Amazon (both with cables) show the SE weighs 0.8 oz (21g) more than the ivory (scroll down about halfway to see both variants compared side-by-side):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0126HISOO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0126HISOO&linkCode=as2&tag=sennheiser091-20&linkId=QMYPYNY2MOY436LY

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #5,673 of 7,535

The SE is Amazon only but Sennheiser definitely did more than just change the color (and the screws).

Even with lighter plastic screws and a shorter cable included, specs on Amazon (both with cables) show the SE weighs 0.8 oz (21g) more than the ivory (scroll down about halfway to see both variants compared side-by-side):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0126HISOO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0126HISOO&linkCode=as2&tag=sennheiser091-20&linkId=QMYPYNY2MOY436LY

Yes, I saw the weight difference when the SE first came out.  I thought it made sense that the SE weighed more due to the additional short cable that's included with the SE and not included with the Ivory.

Edit:  I just realized that maybe you thought the SE gets a short cable instead of the long cable, but no, that's not the case.  They both get the long cable, and the SE gets an additional short cable.  So the additional weight for the SE (including cables), makes sense.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #5,674 of 7,535
Except those weights are only for the headphones with cables attached. The full product weight (with packaging and accessories) is listed as 1.3 pounds.

Even if the SE was weighed with the shorter cable, how can it be 7% heavier if everything is exactly the same?

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #5,675 of 7,535
  Except those weights are only for the headphones with cables attached. The full product weight (with packaging and accessories) is listed as 1.3 pounds.

Even if the SE was weighed with the shorter cable, how can it be 7% heavier if everything is exactly the same?

I never thought of it that way, but you may be right.  I thought that since the description is "with cable" that it means the weights represent the headphones with any and all cables included.  If it is the way you say, they yes, it wouldn't make sense for one to be that much heavier if they're supposedly identical.

As far as the full product in box weight goes it makes sense that they're both listed at 1.3 lbs as the 0.8 oz difference converted to lbs is only .05 lbs, which is a small enough difference that a scale that only reports to a tenth of a pound may not capture.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #5,676 of 7,535

I never thought of it that way, but you may be right.  I thought that since the description is "with cable" that it means the weights represent the headphones with any and all cables included.  If it is the way you say, they yes, it wouldn't make sense for one to be that much heavier if they're supposedly identical.

As far as the full product in box weight goes it makes sense that they're both listed at 1.3 lbs as the 0.8 oz difference converted to lbs is only .05 lbs, which is a small enough difference that a scale that only reports to a tenth of a pound may not capture.

Just weighed both pairs of my HD598 beiges.  246g and 249g.  Latter number comes from a pair that has 1300 hours.  3g of skuzz?

EDIT: Partner just reminded me that I have some foam shoved in the earcups on mine.  That would account for the extra 3g.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #5,677 of 7,535
I messed with my ivory and SE a bit more.  It's not just that this SE has more bass.  The mids are warmer too.  
If I eq down everything from about 500hz and below about 2.5 db on the SE, it sounds about like the ivory.  I didn't spend lots of time on it, just was trying to get a general idea.  

Other people have said their ivory is warmer than their SE, and that's the opposite of mine.

I didn't swap cables today, but I did the last time I compared them.  No difference.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #5,678 of 7,535
  I messed with my ivory and SE a bit more.  It's not just that this SE has more bass.  The mids are warmer too.  
If I eq down everything from about 500hz and below about 2.5 db on the SE, it sounds about like the ivory.  I didn't spend lots of time on it, just was trying to get a general idea.  

Other people have said their ivory is warmer than their SE, and that's the opposite of mine.

I didn't swap cables today, but I did the last time I compared them.  No difference.

How old is your Ivory pair?  When did you buy it, and did you buy it new?

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #5,679 of 7,535
Yup. Let me know what you think

Wow. The Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree has quite a repertoire and does sound exceptional on these cans. Thanks for the heads up.

After a little more than a week I am experiencing an entirely unexpected outcome from the HD598s.  Due to there being such clarity along with so much detail, music is enjoyable at a significantly reduced volume. Amazing.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #5,680 of 7,535
  Well, I can only say that the 2 pairs of Ivory 598s I've had sounded much better than the 1 pair of 598SE I had, based on my personal preferences.  That's not to say all Ivory 598s sound similar to each other and different from all 598SEs.  There's definitely something going on with sonic differences in this model line based on several posters now.

My advice, if you're not happy with the 598SE, is to give them at least 20 hours burn in time.  If still not happy, try to audition another pair of Ivory 598s or 598SE (if you don't like Ivory color/style), either by ordering them or borrowing from someone, back to back against the 598SE.  I wouldn't return the 598SE until I've had a chance to compare them back to back with another pair.  It's possible that my experience may not be similar to your experience, and you may end up hearing the exact same thing with a replacement pair, or something entirely different.  Also, try different sources/amps and songs.  Source equipment and recordings can and in most cases will have an impact on the soundstage and other sound characteristics.  Of course, when comparing any headphones, you want to make sure all else is equal.

Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out.

Sorry about the late reply. Had exam.
Anyway so yeah I am going to try the Ivory and compare before rushing into the decision.
It may take a little time though as none of my physical friends are into audio.

Although I see my SE is "REV01". It's written on the right down side of the ser no. I read here somewhere somebody has the "REV02".

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #5,681 of 7,535

How old is your Ivory pair?  When did you buy it, and did you buy it new?

I got the ivory used.  I think they're a few years old with mild use.  SE are a couple months old and have probably 125 hours of burn-in and 10 hours of use.  I may as well put the SE back on the burner for another 100+ and see if anything changes.   

I also have an old, (but not 7-bump old), K701 that is obviously warmer than my Q701, using the same pads and foams on both.  Burn-in?  Difference in manufacturing batches?  The environment's temperature and humidity affecting it over the years?  Who knows.  

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #5,682 of 7,535
Wow. The Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree has quite a repertoire and does sound exceptional on these cans. Thanks for the heads up.

After a little more than a week I am experiencing an entirely unexpected outcome from the HD598s.  Due to there being such clarity along with so much detail, music is enjoyable at a significantly reduced volume. Amazing.

Yup, enjoy. Also check out the Steven Wilson remixes. The guy is a frigging whirlwind lol. His Jethro Tull and Yes remixes are incredible, especially Aqualung and Benefit. Imagine Aqualung actually sounding good, it blew my mind...

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #5,683 of 7,535
When I said the SE were cheaper, I was replying to @mahajanrahul
's local pricing in India, and there have been other posters that have said they are cheaper in their locale.

Sorry, I think I missread the post then XD However, it's still the general rule that the two versions are around the same price, while the SE being cheaper in some locations being the exceptions.

You mentioned that the SE have plastic screws vs metal screws on the Ivory.  That would be one indication of cost cutting, and it's pretty safe to say if they looked at at, then they looked at other ways to reduce costs.  It's typical when a company releases a new model and especially a refresh, that they look to cut costs even further.  So yeah, no proof, but probability.

I'm not sure the SE was or still is an Amazon exclusive, but I thought I read that somewhere here.  Maybe I was wrong.

You have a point in here. The screws may be a cost cutting measure. Originally, I thought it was for cosmetic reasons, since metallic screws have a silverish color while my screws are black colored to keep with the all black look of the headphones, so the screws are discretly hidden and doesn't stand out as much.

But like you said, they might have actually done it to cut costs (or both reasons, why not?). I don't know the price difference between a plastic screw and a metal one, but I think any screw is already very cheap. So who knows. I agree though, that opens up the possibility of other manufacturing/materials changes to save some money. But so far,and until somebody opens up a pair of ivories and a pair of SE's to compare their innards, we won't know if there was an actual change in materials. So far, there is no change reported regarding the important components.

Personally, I think that other than the screws, there was no other change in production methods. Since the standard version is still produced and sold, that means Sennheiser would require two assembling sets (one to manufacture the ivories, the other for the SE), which would mean an additional expense actually, defeating the purpose of saving costs. Instead, I assume the two models are manufactured together and only after the fact they are split into separate batches for adding the painting (and replace the metallic screws with the black ones).

The only way I could see a manufacturing change saving them money is if they had either discontinued the ivories or if they updated the ivories' production process to that of the SE. And, as far as the report goes, none of those scenarios is the case. You bought an ivory set after the SE was introduced and it still has silver screws, right? Also, it still sounds similar to the pre-SE ivory set you had before, doesn't it?

Finally, while not universally, we do have reports of SE pairs (including mine) sounding identical to the original edition. Had the internals being changed, then there would be no way a black set could sound like an ivory one at all, but that's not the case. So I highly doubt they changed the manufacturing process and/or materials for the SE to cut expenses.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #5,684 of 7,535
Sorry, I think I missread the post then XD However, it's still the general rule that the two versions are around the same price, while the SE being cheaper in some locations being the exceptions.
You have a point in here. The screws may be a cost cutting measure. Originally, I thought it was for cosmetic reasons, since metallic screws have a silverish color while my screws are black colored to keep with the all black look of the headphones, so the screws are discretly hidden and doesn't stand out as much.

But like you said, they might have actually done it to cut costs (or both reasons, why not?). I don't know the price difference between a plastic screw and a metal one, but I think any screw is already very cheap. So who knows. I agree though, that opens up the possibility of other manufacturing/materials changes to save some money. But so far,and until somebody opens up a pair of ivories and a pair of SE's to compare their innards, we won't know if there was an actual change in materials. So far, there is no change reported regarding the important components.

Personally, I think that other than the screws, there was no other change in production methods. Since the standard version is still produced and sold, that means Sennheiser would require two assembling sets (one to manufacture the ivories, the other for the SE), which would mean an additional expense actually, defeating the purpose of saving costs. Instead, I assume the two models are manufactured together and only after the fact they are split into separate batches for adding the painting (and replace the metallic screws with the black ones).

The only way I could see a manufacturing change saving them money is if they had either discontinued the ivories or if they updated the ivories' production process to that of the SE. And, as far as the report goes, none of those scenarios is the case. You bought an ivory set after the SE was introduced and it still has silver screws, right? Also, it still sounds similar to the pre-SE ivory set you had before, doesn't it?

Finally, while not universally, we do have reports of SE pairs (including mine) sounding identical to the original edition. Had the internals being changed, then there would be no way a black set could sound like an ivory one at all, but that's not the case. So I highly doubt they changed the manufacturing process and/or materials for the SE to cut expenses.

Hey can you check your revision num? It's printed on the down right side of the  ser. no. and under a bar code. Mine says "REV01". Is your's 02?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back