Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #5,584 of 7,535
Im looking at getting a new set of headphones, and was looking at getting thes hd598 or the the ad900x. Since you have both how do they compare, i will be using them un amped straight from an ipad, for movies, shows , and music?

I think that the ad900x is technically a better headphone, but I prefer the sound of the senns more. And they are much more comfortable than the ad900x. I have used both on occasion straight from my ipod and Galaxy s5,and the senns sound better unamped.

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #5,585 of 7,535
I really didn't like the 598's at first I thought they were muffled and less detailed compared to my 595's. So interestingly I now love the 598's after 70h of heavy burn-in they sound better than the 595's. I thought it was me just getting used to them, but when I first got them I did a blind sound test on my girlfriend to see if she had a preference, she instantly decided she liked the 595's way more due to clarity. We did the same test again 2/3 days later and she couldn't tell the difference at first after a few tries she said the 598s sound a little fuller.  I think the bass was bloated before drowning out detail now it seems more refined and easier to distinguish.

Now I'm thinking maybe a dac and an amp might make them even better... and it couldn't hurt to have the set-up ready just in case... say if the hd650 go on sale at some point!

Any suggestions for an entry level amp and dac to put in line with my sound blaster z (soundblaster > optical > dac > amp)? I want to keep the surround capabilities of the sound blaster for gaming. I'm looking for sound stage and clarity not bass.

:):):)

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #5,588 of 7,535
I really didn't like the 598's at first I thought they were muffled and less detailed compared to my 595's. So interestingly I now love the 598's after 70h of heavy burn-in they sound better than the 595's. I thought it was me just getting used to them, but when I first got them I did a blind sound test on my girlfriend to see if she had a preference, she instantly decided she liked the 595's way more due to clarity. We did the same test again 2/3 days later and she couldn't tell the difference at first after a few tries she said the 598s sound a little fuller.  I think the bass was bloated before drowning out detail now it seems more refined and easier to distinguish.

Now I'm thinking maybe a dac and an amp might make them even better... and it couldn't hurt to have the set-up ready just in case... say if the hd650 go on sale at some point!

Any suggestions for an entry level amp and dac to put in line with my sound blaster z (soundblaster > optical > dac > amp)? I want to keep the surround capabilities of the sound blaster for gaming. I'm looking for sound stage and clarity not bass.

:):):)

I really enjoy my Schiit Modi (original) and Schiit Magni 2U with HD598's on my computer setup. The Vali 2 (tube hybrid) amp also sounded very good.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #5,589 of 7,535
There was a 2.5>3.5 that used to fit perfectly but now it requires sanding (I did it) and it requires removal of the locking mechanism. Any of the gold shielded ones are the same that you will find.

Thanks. Was hoping to avoid mods but guess I'll have to order another custom cable or mod the other end of a factory cable.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #5,591 of 7,535
Hey guys! What a nice thread, thought I used the searching option I didn't find anything related to what I am going to ask, well, there are some related stuff but  not exactly the same I am looking for, but It helped me to find another things and had me "googleing" for a while.

So, I am planning to get a good headphones and seems to be which the HD 598 is the smarter option, problem is that I would use it mainly to PS4 gaming with friends (voice chat) and films. I have Googled loads and I can't find anyone who has used these headphones with a mic and being able to hear the game sound and voice chat sounds, and of course their friends hearing him.

I found these options:

A) HD 598 + Antlion ModMic + Astro Mixamp

Looks really good, but my budget is pretty limited, I didn't even buy yet the HD 598 (around $150 on Spain)  so spending another $170 on the Astro Mixamp + ModMic is not kind of an option but I know that It would work this way.

B) HD 598 + AntLion ModMic 

Again the ModMic but without the Astro Mixamp, it's no an option thought because ModMic shipping it's pretty expensive.

C) HD598 + V-MODA Boom Mic 

This seemed to be a good idea but I don't want to open up any new headphones to remove the lock system. Not an option I would contemplate.

and the last option and which seems most viable to me:

D) HD598 + Zalman Mic (and the audio adapter with the 3.5mm female jacks to 3.5mm male jack)

This mic: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ
Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454428319&sr=1-4&keywords=3.5mm+audio+adapter

Would this combo work with the adapter and the HD598 to gaming and voice chatting w friends?

As you can see I am pretty confused but did a good research lol. I could use some help as I am pretty new to this world.

Cheers!

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #5,592 of 7,535
  Hey guys! What a nice thread, thought I used the searching option I didn't find anything related to what I am going to ask, well, there are some related stuff but  not exactly the same I am looking for, but It helped me to find another things and had me "googleing" for a while.

So, I am planning to get a good headphones and seems to be which the HD 598 is the smarter option, problem is that I would use it mainly to PS4 gaming with friends (voice chat) and films. I have Googled loads and I can't find anyone who has used these headphones with a mic and being able to hear the game sound and voice chat sounds, and of course their friends hearing him.

I found these options:

A) HD 598 + Antlion ModMic + Astro Mixamp

Looks really good, but my budget is pretty limited, I didn't even buy yet the HD 598 (around $150 on Spain)  so spending another $170 on the Astro Mixamp + ModMic is not kind of an option but I know that It would work this way.

B) HD 598 + AntLion ModMic 

Again the ModMic but without the Astro Mixamp, it's no an option thought because ModMic shipping it's pretty expensive.

C) HD598 + V-MODA Boom Mic 

This seemed to be a good idea but I don't want to open up any new headphones to remove the lock system. Not an option I would contemplate.

and the last option and which seems most viable to me:

D) HD598 + Zalman Mic (and the audio adapter with the 3.5mm female jacks to 3.5mm male jack)

This mic: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ
Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454428319&sr=1-4&keywords=3.5mm+audio+adapter

Would this combo work with the adapter and the HD598 to gaming and voice chatting w friends?

As you can see I am pretty confused but did a good research lol. I could use some help as I am pretty new to this world.

Cheers!

I'm sure you're aware that the stock HD598 ends in a 1/4 inch termination, not a 3.5 mm. So, how will you connect the Zalman mic to the 598? Sorry, maybe I'm being dense here. You've obviously figured out a way to do it, but I'm just not seeing it. The 598 has some unusual terminations on its stock cable, which makes doing what you are trying to do more difficult than it would be on a different can. Maybe you can explain it for us, connection by connection. So, there's the twist/screw connection to the actual can, then the 1/4 inch termination, and then what comes next?

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #5,593 of 7,535

I'm sure you're aware that the stock HD598 ends in a 1/4 inch termination, not a 3.5 mm. So, how will you connect the Zalman mic to the 598? Sorry, maybe I'm being dense here. You've obviously figured out a way to do it, but I'm just not seeing it. The 598 has some unusual terminations on its stock cable, which makes doing what you are trying to do more difficult than it would be on a different can. Maybe you can explain it for us, connection by connection. So, there's the twist/screw connection to the actual can, then the 1/4 inch termination, and then what comes next?

I'm using option c) the BoomPro and love it. My friends say it is the best mic out of all the others I have tried including the PC350SE and PC360. The locking mech is easy to remove and all you need is a £1 adapter. I will say that the quality of the adapters is not consistent and it took me 3 to get one that works perfectly. But now it's perfect. Cable is super high quality braided and you get volume control!

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #5,594 of 7,535
Thank you!

@Thekarma, It looks really great and the mic itself has a great quality as I saw on YouTube but I don't really want to break the warranty of a brand new cans.

Yes @serman005 , I am aware and to be honest, now I am doubtful with it lol. Do I really need to plug the mic into the headphones? I thought which all I need is just this:

Headphones, Zalman mic with 3.5mm jack, 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor and the audio combo, like this (can't insert images as I am still new in the forum)

http://cdn.overclock.net/4/4b/900x900px-LL-4b914dde_100_1744.jpeg

plus the audio combo:

http://www.amazon.es/Sennheiser-PCV-05-Adaptador-cable/dp/B00E4DHO44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454506405&sr=8-1&keywords=combo+audio

And then just connect the whole story then plug it into the Dualshock 4

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #5,595 of 7,535
  Thank you!

@Thekarma, It looks really great and the mic itself has a great quality as I saw on YouTube but I don't really want to break the warranty of a brand new cans.

Yes @serman005 , I am aware and to be honest, now I am doubtful with it lol. Do I really need to plug the mic into the headphones? I thought which all I need is just this:

Headphones, Zalman mic with 3.5mm jack, 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor and the audio combo, like this (can't insert images as I am still new in the forum)

http://cdn.overclock.net/4/4b/900x900px-LL-4b914dde_100_1744.jpeg

plus the audio combo:

http://www.amazon.es/Sennheiser-PCV-05-Adaptador-cable/dp/B00E4DHO44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454506405&sr=8-1&keywords=combo+audio

And then just connect the whole story then plug it into the Dualshock 4

Hardcore PS4 player here, the DS4 hardly pushes enough power to the HD598's. Do yourself a favor, get an eBay MixAmp Pro 2013 edition for around $40 and get a monoprice toslink to minitoslink cable, as well as a mini usb (you should have one of these from older phones or even dac's) and you won't turn back. I opened my HD598SE and modded a 2.5 male to 3.5 female connector and use the BoomPro and have hands down the best setup I could ask for, with plenty of power pushing the 598's. If you opt out of modding, the zalman and modmic will work just fine. The zalman picks up plenty of outside noise though, but the MixAmp may filter out the noise due to a nice noise gate they've implemented. The modmic is higher quality but I don't believe it sounds as good as the BoomPro from impressions.

Also, simulated surround seriously boosts any game's immersiveness, and you would be able to watch any movie you'd like in surround due to the flexibility of optical cables. Sweet, I know. I actually just watched my first surround sound movie through a cable box and i can't complain at all. Also, the variable sound on the BoomPro is nice to have. Let me know if you've got any other Q's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back