Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,796 of 7,535
Hey @Bansaku, you tried your 598's with the iPod touch 5G?, can you share your impressions?

I sure can. Stay Tuned! iPod has to update. 
cool.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #3,797 of 7,535
For me, the iPod touch 5G sound quality is comparable to a good desktop amp, but lacks the power of it, obviously. Only in sound quality is comparable IMO. The 598's doesn't require much power, and that's why i am curious to see how it sounds in your iTouch 5G.

Sounding great it's very underrated as a DAP compared to, a X5, for example.

This review is also worth checking if you want to know more: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,798 of 7,535
This review is also worth checking if you want to know more: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Seen it, read it, have it bookmarked. Great read and surprising how good the iPod Touch (and I guess iPhone 5) rated. Now if only Apple would go 24/96 and an adjustable EQ! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #3,799 of 7,535
If it was called the iBasso Touch 5G it would have been top-rated in Head-Fi, sure! :D
Some people here don't want to see the word "iPod".

You have the Audioengine D1, can compare it to the iTouch 5G?
I am very curious to see if you hear a difference SQ-wise

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3,800 of 7,535
If it was called the iBasso Touch 5G it would have been top-rated in Head-Fi, sure!
biggrin.gif

Some people here don't want to see the word "iPod".

You have the Audioengine D1, can compare it to the iTouch 5G?
I am very curious to see if you hear a difference SQ-wise

Apologies for taking a couple of days to reply. After doing my comparison of my iPod Touch vs my D1 I made the (good) mistake of checking out Kijiji and scored a pair of Momentums' for a half price (yay!). 2 hour round bus trip in 30 degree heat to pick them up kicked my ass. Anyway...

First thing I would like to say is that the iPod Touch 5G (and equivalent iPhones) have more than enough power to drive virtually any headphone. However, the ability to drive and drive well are completely different. That said, the iPod touch can efficiently drive the HD598 well. I listened to about 90 minutes straight of random songs of various genres with no EQ. That says a lot considering I only intended to listen for about half an hour. Sonically speaking, most songs sounded great. However for low compression songs, and those resampled from 24/96+, I had to max out the volume for some. My only real gripe about using the HD598 with an iDevice (or any portable device) is that the plug and adaptor is really cumbersome, and will not insert properly if there is a case involved.

Compared to the D1, the iPod Touch 5G holds up well enough, but I would clearly give the edge and preference to the D1. The difference in sound quality is in no way night and day, but to my ears the D1 is superior. The first and most obvious difference is the sound stage; The D1 is simply larger and more open. Instrument transparency and space is also greater with the D1. Frequency wise, the D1 provided much more 'weight' and punch to the bass, and has a brighter, airier treble response. Mid are equal on both.

While the iPod touch performed admirably, I think that Sennheiser somewhat hints at the HD598s' intended use when they made the 1/4" plug standard with a 1/8" adaptor.

beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #3,801 of 7,535

Apologies for taking a couple of days to reply. After doing my comparison of my iPod Touch vs my D1 I made the (good) mistake of checking out Kijiji and scored a pair of Momentums' for a half price (yay!). 2 hour round bus trip in 30 degree heat to pick them up kicked my ass. Anyway...

First thing I would like to say is that the iPod Touch 5G (and equivalent iPhones) have more than enough power to drive virtually any headphone. However, the ability to drive and drive well are completely different. That said, the iPod touch can efficiently drive the HD598 well. I listened to about 90 minutes straight of random songs of various genres with no EQ. That says a lot considering I only intended to listen for about half an hour. Sonically speaking, most songs sounded great. However for low compression songs, and those resampled from 24/96+, I had to max out the volume for some. My only real gripe about using the HD598 with an iDevice (or any portable device) is that the plug and adaptor is really cumbersome, and will not insert properly if there is a case involved.

Compared to the D1, the iPod Touch 5G holds up well enough, but I would clearly give the edge and preference to the D1. The difference in sound quality is in no way night and day, but to my ears the D1 is superior. The first and most obvious difference is the sound stage; The D1 is simply larger and more open. Instrument transparency and space is also greater with the D1. Frequency wise, the D1 provided much more 'weight' and punch to the bass, and has a brighter, airier treble response. Mid are equal on both.

While the iPod touch performed admirably, I think that Sennheiser somewhat hints at the HD598s' intended use when they made the 1/4" plug standard with a 1/8" adaptor.

beerchug.gif

You can find an official replacement cable for the HD 5X8 series which automatically terminates into a 3.5 mm plug. I bought one myself for $12.95, I believe.

Hope this may help you!

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #3,802 of 7,535

:beerchug:  
Cool, thank you!
My experience was similar. In my iPod touch 5G the overall sound quality is better than any other source with my 598's. But, the soundstage is smaller but not better than my MacBook Pro, just smaller, if not placebo, ha ha. Strange.

I always had the curiosity of listen the 598's in a awesome desktop amp like the Leben CS300X, WA7 or HDVD800. With a better cable and the iPod touch 5G as source, my god *-*

Some people here say the 598's recabled is even better. (More refined, more detailed, and more clear). Instead of buying a new cable try to recable it yourself to improve it!

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3,803 of 7,535
Some people here say the 598's recabled is even better. (More refined, more detailed, and more clear). Instead of buying a new cable try to recable it yourself to improve it!

Lord knows I have been tempted! 
L3000.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #3,804 of 7,535
So I had a recent chance to compare a lot of mid tier headphones the Q701, AKG 550 and the Sennheiser 598. Here are my impressions so far, In terms of comfort I find the Q701 to be the best, the 550's pads get a little hot and it puts quite a bit of pressure on the side of your head. The 598 for some reason causes me ear pain on my right ear I don't know if its because I have big ears but even though the pads are extremely soft I still feel discomfort after an hour.  In terms of sound I would say the 598 is the best, it doesn't have a huge sound stage but its big enough, the mids are nice and clear and there is always a certain air to some instruments, not to mention that the sound seems to be a bit more focused in comparison to the Q701. The Q701 has a great sound stage but it only sounds really good out of my speaker amp while the 598 sounds great out of anything. On the other hand the AKG 550 has a decent soundstage but it seems to be lacking a bit of detail. I would say the Q701 reminds me of a less refined and detailed he-400 and while I can't describe the sound signature of the 598 it is my favorite, it sounds like a livelier hd 650.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #3,805 of 7,535
   The 598 for some reason causes me ear pain on my right ear I don't know if its because I have big ears but even though the pads are extremely soft I still feel discomfort after an hour...

If it's touching your ears, that's probably why. As opposed to the pads sitting around your ear. The pads on these are that big but many people do have ears that fit perfectly inside. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3,806 of 7,535
  The 598 for some reason causes me ear pain on my right ear I don't know if its because I have big ears but even though the pads are extremely soft I still feel discomfort after an hour. 

Try readjusting the band's position on the top of your head after X minutes of listening before your ear starts to hurt. I find that the top of my right ear (coincidence eh) starts to get irritated after a while even though my ears practically swim inside these cans, and it is because the position has slipped forward. I pull it back so it is once again level and instant relief.

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,807 of 7,535
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried this replacement cable:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-cable-with-Remote-Mic-connect-iphone-to-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-/261280639444
What's the quality of the mic like? And does it work with pc or only apple products?

Also, I've been searching everywhere for a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female audio jack adapter with the sennheiser twist lock mechanism. It would be ideal for the V-Moda BoomPro but I can't find it anywhere and I don't want to remove the locking mechanism if possible. Does such an adapter exist?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #3,808 of 7,535
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried this replacement cable:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-cable-with-Remote-Mic-connect-iphone-to-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-/261280639444
What's the quality of the mic like? And does it work with pc or only apple products?

Also, I've been searching everywhere for a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female audio jack adapter with the sennheiser twist lock mechanism. It would be ideal for the V-Moda BoomPro but I can't find it anywhere and I don't want to remove the locking mechanism if possible. Does such an adapter exist?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Why not just use the Sennheiser HD 5x8 replacement cable? It's a bit shorter but it locks with the mechanism and it already terminates into a 3.5 mm plug unlike the original cable that comes with the HD 598.

See here: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-5x8-short-cable

Hope that helped!

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3,809 of 7,535

Why not just use the Sennheiser HD 5x8 replacement cable? It's a bit shorter but it locks with the mechanism and it already terminates into a 3.5 mm plug unlike the original cable that comes with the HD 598.

See here: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-5x8-short-cable

Hope that helped!

Thanks for the link!

I was hoping to have a mic function though. The link I posted is one option but I can't find any info on the mic quality and it's described for use with ipods and iphones so I'm not sure how it'll work with its multimedia buttons on my laptop. Which is why I was also looking for the adapter, so I can make a V-Moda BoomPro fit. I'd rather not use the AntLion ModMic because I don't want to have two cables.

Any one else have any info or suggestions?

Cheers

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #3,810 of 7,535
Does anybody have instructions/ a link to a guide to disassemble these? There appears to be something loose inside the left side...
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back