Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,782 of 7,535
If you want to hold onto the hd598 a little longer so you can do a side by side, I don't mind.

I'd hate to overstay my welcome, but yes, that would be awesome! Thanks!

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #3,784 of 7,535
I've had HD598 for about a month now, and it sounds great so far! Clear mids, smooth highs and engaging sound! The only complaint I have is weak bass and slow response, although the former can be somewhat overcome by EQ. Excellent all rounder, I might even buy one for my wife so that we can share the same hobby :) 

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #3,785 of 7,535
  I've had HD598 for about a month now, and it sounds great so far! Clear mids, smooth highs and engaging sound! The only complaint I have is weak bass and slow response, although the former can be somewhat overcome by EQ. Excellent all rounder, I might even buy one for my wife so that we can share the same hobby :) 

Hi!

how are you driving the HD598, the weak bass gets a bit better with a nice amp. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. The HD598 directly out of my Mac with a Schiit Asgard was enough to make my wife's eyes pop out. Amping does improve the HD598 to a certain extend. Don't expect wonders but there definitively is an improvement.

Cheers,
K

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #3,786 of 7,535
Listen to Eagles - Hotel California.
You will fall more in love with them.
When I listened to them on my HD 598 for the first time. I was amazed how beautiful the song played on them .
Every instrument was separated(superb imaging) with incredible clarity and smooth mids.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,787 of 7,535

Hi!

how are you driving the HD598, the weak bass gets a bit better with a nice amp. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. The HD598 directly out of my Mac with a Schiit Asgard was enough to make my wife's eyes pop out. Amping does improve the HD598 to a certain extend. Don't expect wonders but there definitively is an improvement.

Cheers,
K

I am driving it with Centrance Hifi-M8 (supposed to have 1.4W of max output), which has built in bass booster (which I use at high setting all the time with HD598). I was considering getting a desktop amp. Is there any tube amp that I can buy around ~$300 which will be considered as a significant upgrade to Hifi-M8?

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,788 of 7,535
I am driving it with Centrance Hifi-M8 (supposed to have 1.4W of max output), which has built in bass booster (which I use at high setting all the time with HD598). I was considering getting a desktop amp. Is there any tube amp that I can buy around ~$300 which will be considered as a significant upgrade to Hifi-M8?

Bloody hell. The centrance M8 is some serious stuff. I never heard it, just heard of it. It's supposed to be an amazing piece of gear. Not sure if you find anything that is a clear upgrade in the $300 bracket.

You might however find a tube amp that adds not precision but warmth and musicality to it.

Maybe someone with centrance experience can pitch in?

Cheers,
K

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3,789 of 7,535
   The only complaint I have is weak bass and slow response

Listen to this song or this song by the talented Mr. Zombie and tell me about weak bass. Bass is even stronger with my ALAC CD rip version of the album. 

I am glad you are enjoying the HD598, and I hope your wife would appreciate the awesome set of cans if get her a pair.

beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,790 of 7,535

Listen to this song or this song by the talented Mr. Zombie and tell me about weak bass. Bass is even stronger with my ALAC CD rip version of the album. 

I am glad you are enjoying the HD598, and I hope your wife would appreciate the awesome set of cans if get her a pair.

beerchug.gif

Definitely big bass in those songs! Unfortunately, Living Dead Girl is where HD598's bass sounds bit loose compared to HE-400 I have. Regardless, the quantity is on par with HE-400, which is alot!

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,791 of 7,535
Hi all.  I just purchased a like new set of HD 598s locally for $70.  Did I do good? 
wink_face.gif
  Now to figure out the best source/amp combo.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #3,793 of 7,535
  Hi all.  I just purchased a like new set of HD 598s locally for $70.  Did I do good? 
wink_face.gif
  Now to figure out the best source/amp combo.

Wow, nice find! Happy listening! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #3,794 of 7,535
Wow, nice find! Happy listening! :beerchug:

Thanks. Listening to them now. I'm in love. Thus far, they sound best right out of my Galaxy S4. I use poweramp which has a good equalizer with some bass boost. The cowon D2+ is a little cold with this hp for my tastes. Haven't had a chance to bring the fiio E5 into the mix yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back