Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #3,526 of 7,535
Hmmm.... so my EHP-O2 amp arrived yesterday and I had a play around it. I initially thought that the 598s being only 50ohms would be easy to drive. But without turning on the gain settings, I had to turn the volume knob to to about 2 oclock to match unamped volume and 3-4 oclock to have a nice amped sound. I was wondering if this was normal. I think the default gain settings for the EHP model are x1 and x5.

Any 598 users with O2 amp can shed some light?

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #3,527 of 7,535
Hmmm.... so my EHP-O2 amp arrived yesterday and I had a play around it. I initially thought that the 598s being only 50ohms would be easy to drive. But without turning on the gain settings, I had to turn the volume knob to to about 2 oclock to match unamped volume and 3-4 oclock to have a nice amped sound. I was wondering if this was normal. I think the default gain settings for the EHP model are x1 and x5.

Any 598 users with O2 amp can shed some light?

That sounds odd. I keep the gain switch turned off at all times (even with HD 600s), and the HD 598 get loud enough with the volume knob sitting at around 10 o'clock. I have the O2 with the ODAC inside (EHP-O2D), and I have noticed that I have to turn the volume knob higher if I plug another source into the amp.

What's your source?

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,528 of 7,535
That sounds odd. I keep the gain switch turned off at all times (even with HD 600s), and the HD 598 get loud enough with the volume knob sitting at around 10 o'clock. I have the O2 with the ODAC inside (EHP-O2D), and I have noticed that I have to turn the volume knob higher if I plug another source into the amp.

What's your source?

Line out from Xonar DGX

I did a comparison of plugging the headphones straight to line out and through the amplifier. The volume definitely only becomes at the same levels when the volume knob is at around 2 o'clock without the gain switch on

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3,529 of 7,535
Headphones react oddly to different things, and everyone has different hearing. For me, I have cans with 32 ohms impedance and I have them on high gain and 2.75/8 volume on an FiiO E11, and at that point they sound their nicest to me. Just mess around with them, and find the settings you like the most.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #3,534 of 7,535
Ahhh i see... because I read that the 598 should work fine at no gain settings, and I am slightly concerned that I have to turn the volume knob to about 4 o'clock to get good volume.

I'm still trying to find a good fit for extended periods of listening to be honest. It is definitely not Audio Technica AD700 comfortable, which was the previous one I had.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #3,535 of 7,535
Mar 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #3,539 of 7,535
Hi,

I bought my HD598's a year ago and they were my first good headphones. At first I thought the sound was jaw dropping and it amazed me to no extent..
However  recently they've been sounding dull and making my music sound boring and I could also do with a little more bass for some of the genres I listen to such as jazz

Whats a good budget amp(below 200US) for these cans.

Thanks! 

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #3,540 of 7,535
  Hi,

I bought my HD598's a year ago and they were my first good headphones. At first I thought the sound was jaw dropping and it amazed me to no extent..
However  recently they've been sounding dull and making my music sound boring and I could also do with a little more bass for some of the genres I listen to such as jazz

Whats a good budget amp(below 200US) for these cans.

Thanks! 

Sell them and get phillips fidelio x1 they do what you are looking for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back