Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #3,511 of 7,535
I'm no expert but I am looking very hard at the Schiit Magni Amp.  Its $99 and it seems to be very well recieved.  I will probably be ordering one this weekend for my HD 598s and a pair of HD 600s that should be on the way to me.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #3,513 of 7,535
  How do i remove the velour pads? I'm afraid i'll break something. And do you have any tips on how to clean velour pads?

Yes, removing them is scary, just pull them off with a hard and determined pull. Doing it slow, can tear them. Cleaning only with a damp cloth (only water, no chemicals.) make sure no water gets into the driver housing.

I just replaced mine with new ones....

Cheers,
K

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,515 of 7,535
I asked the same question before and the suggestion was to pull it towards the centre and then outward. It works.

The first time you try to remove them, it feels like you are going to break them or damage the headphones but as long as you pull with steady, firm and even pressure, they will pop off quite easily.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #3,518 of 7,535
While we are on the subject of earpads, I don't suppose the 558 pads will fit the 598?  I'm aware of the color difference. 

I think they will. All the other HD 5xx pads are interchangeable. Don't see why the 598 would be any different (with the exception of the color)

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #3,520 of 7,535
I think they will. All the other HD 5xx pads are interchangeable. Don't see why the 598 would be any different (with the exception of the color)

HD518 earpads are stiffer and made out of harder and more squarish foam with a cloth like surface material. HD558 and HD598 earpads have more rounded earpads with softer foam in the middle and a very soft valour surface. I was told by the shopkeeper they are identical except for colour. All 3 earpads have the same clip on plastic housing and are all interexchangable. But this plastic clip housing also means they cannot fit on anything other than a HD518,558 and 598 (not sure about 515,555 and 595 though.)

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,521 of 7,535
  HD518 earpads are stiffer and made out of harder and more squarish foam with a cloth like surface material. HD558 and HD598 earpads have more rounded earpads with softer foam in the middle and a very soft valour surface. I was told by the shopkeeper they are identical except for colour. All 3 earpads have the same clip on plastic housing and are all interexchangable. But this plastic clip housing also means they cannot fit on anything other than a HD518,558 and 598 (not sure about 515,555 and 595 though.)

That's right.  The pads on the HD518 are stiffer and made out of some sort of cloth as opposed to the HD 558 and HD 598 pads that are softer and have some sort of velor covering. I had a pair of HD 518s and a pair of HD 558s. I sold them (too cheap-still kicking myself for that mistake) but I actually liked the firmer pads on the HD 518 better.  For me, they seemed to give more of a positive fit to the my head, if that makes sense?

Also, I have the HD518, HD555 and the HD595 and I can confirm that they take the same pads as well.

BTW, The HD 5xx pads also fit the PC360 and PC350 gaming headsets as well.  I bought a set for my PC350s to swap out the crappy "pleather" pads that come on the 350.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,522 of 7,535
So I just recently started delving into the world of audiophiles and picked me up a pair of these bad boys. But now I am confronted with a problem. I've found out a dac and amp combo would help me get better sound out of my hd 598s. What do you guys recommend? I want an all around boosted sound quality like the EHP-O2 dac amp I've heard does well with. I want to spend up to $100 I don't really want to go north of that price. I mostly game with these, lol shocker, and listen to electronic music, ie dub step and techno and house. So yeah I need help choosing and buying a dac amp thanks! I also will be mostly using it with my laptop and xbox. On occasion with my ipad and nexus 5 cell phone. Thanks for the help!

My question for a dac amp still hasn't been answered...

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3,523 of 7,535

So I just recently started delving into the world of audiophiles and picked me up a pair of these bad boys. But now I am confronted with a problem. I've found out a dac and amp combo would help me get better sound out of my hd 598s. What do you guys recommend? I want an all around boosted sound quality like the EHP-O2 dac amp I've heard does well with. I want to spend up to $100 I don't really want to go north of that price. I mostly game with these, lol shocker, and listen to electronic music, ie dub step and techno and house. So yeah I need help choosing and buying a dac amp thanks! I also will be mostly using it with my laptop and xbox. On occasion with my ipad and nexus 5 cell phone. Thanks for the help!

My question for a dac amp still hasn't been answered...

The dragonfly works well with the HD 598.  Version 1 (the one I have) can be found for just under $100.  Version 1.2 can easily be found for under $150.  However, I hardly ever listen to the genres you listed, so you may want to wait for suggestions from others who listen to those genres.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3,524 of 7,535
That's right.  The pads on the HD518 are stiffer and made out of some sort of cloth as opposed to the HD 558 and HD 598 pads that are softer and have some sort of velor covering. I had a pair of HD 518s and a pair of HD 558s. I sold them (too cheap-still kicking myself for that mistake) but I actually liked the firmer pads on the HD 518 better.  For me, they seemed to give more of a positive fit to the my head, if that makes sense?

Also, I have the HD518, HD555 and the HD595 and I can confirm that they take the same pads as well.

BTW, The HD 5xx pads also fit the PC360 and PC350 gaming headsets as well.  I bought a set for my PC350s to swap out the crappy "pleather" pads that come on the 350.

Thats good to know, but on a side note the hd518 earpads cause a more congested and boomy sound compared to the valours. The surface according to some people can be scratchy. But this may change with break in. But i can understand that the fit feels more solid on the 518, also when the 558 earpads are very broken in (maybe after repeated washing (dont wash them)) they become squishy, thus sounding very boomy and muddy )

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3,525 of 7,535
The dragonfly works well with the HD 598.  Version 1 (the one I have) can be found for just under $100.  Version 1.2 can easily be found for under $150.  However, I hardly ever listen to the genres you listed, so you may want to wait for suggestions from others who listen to those genres.
Fiio E10 compliments the 598 nicely as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back