Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #3,482 of 7,535
Thanks for all the replies :)

Anyway, I am running an Audio Technica AD700 to the desktop mainly with Xonar DGX, and it does sound better with a Fiio E6 amp. I am assuming getting a substantially better DAC will cost me a lot more. I was looking into getting a desktop amp after the headphones, perhaps something like the Fiio E09k (which has pre amp), or the O2 amp.

I actually prefer the sound of the HD598 plugged straight into the Xonar DG (via the front panel) than when connected to a FiiO E7p. To my ears, the DG(X) has a crisper, clearer sound.

Just my opinion, but I'd definitely get the headphones first (and use the E6 for extra bass boost if desired).

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #3,483 of 7,535
Actually, when I went to amazon, the prices for the new 595's ranged from 320$-500$... Maybe that number is just an average?

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3,484 of 7,535
Its not that, I think it just randomly pulled one of the sellers.  The one it did pick is from S. Korea, with a 1/3 positive review, so why its using that price is beyond me.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #3,485 of 7,535
Just a final question before I take the plunge. It should be a good upgrade from audio technica ad700 right? I listen mainly to jazz, especially vocals, so mids are very important to me.

And the front panel of my dgx is really bad. Sounds a lot better when I connect to the back of the sound card straight with my ad700, and even better through the e6 amp. But I will take note of your advice And try all possible ways. Thanks!

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,486 of 7,535
Just a final question before I take the plunge. It should be a good upgrade from audio technica ad700 right? I listen mainly to jazz, especially vocals, so mids are very important to me.

And the front panel of my dgx is really bad. Sounds a lot better when I connect to the back of the sound card straight with my ad700, and even better through the e6 amp. But I will take note of your advice And try all possible ways. Thanks!

I have both of those headphones.  I use the hd598 more than the ad700, but this may well depend on the rest of the equipment used, comfort, and even novelty.  (The HD598 seems to work very well with the dragonfly; of my headphones it is the one that improved the most when I started using the dragonfly, except possibly for the AKG Q701, which I am still burning in and getting used to.) I am sorry that I cannot help you more. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,487 of 7,535

This phone is mid-centric! You should be fine, though I have found that the HD 598 gain some body and bass with amping, it's not needed and you can get 80% of its sound from an iPod. Dude, you're fine! 

If you're that worried, you can look at some reviews online (such as mine below, 
biggrin.gif
) and if you're not a fan, you can always return them,

Good luck! If you want, you can PM me if you have any questions about these cans.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #3,488 of 7,535
I got my HD598s! Some quick initial comments. Compared to the AD700, this headphones definitely does pack more bass, has good sound stage, but seem to be smaller than the AD700. However, the AD700's soundstage seem a little artificial to me now?

Plugging into the Fiio e6 amp makes it totally different though. The AD700 seems to be powered really nicely by the amp but the Senns 598 does not seem to like the amp that much. The AD700 becomes a lot brighter than compared to HD598 plugged to the amp. It might be because I am used to listening to music without bass lol.

I was wondering if getting a neutral amp like O2 (or any recommendations?) will make the HD598 sound better?

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #3,489 of 7,535
Hate to rain on your parade, but the E6 is a neutral amp. You might just not be used to a flat response. Go on FiiO's website, and it clearly has a flat response... Unless you turned the EQ switch on. The EQ switch is a bass boost. Might want to turn that off if you have it on right now...

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #3,490 of 7,535
FiiO E11 is a nice upgrade if you need a more powerful amp... Not really too many differences though, other than twice the power. If you upgrade to the E12, you should know it puts out about 4 times as much power as an E11 at 32 ohms. So that's 8 times as much power compared to the E6.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3,491 of 7,535
Of course the 598's are 60 ohms though, and I've seen power output ratios change when comparing amps hooked up to headphones with different impedance levels.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,492 of 7,535
I actually prefer the sound of the HD598 plugged straight into the Xonar DG (via the front panel) than when connected to a FiiO E7p. To my ears, the DG(X) has a crisper, clearer sound.

Just my opinion, but I'd definitely get the headphones first (and use the E6 for extra bass boost if desired).

I have the Xonar DG as well and, IMO, it is a wonderful sound card.  Very pleased with the $26 I spent on it.  For me, the FP jack works just fine.  I do, however, run it on exciter mode (for headphones > 64 ohms).

I recently picked up a pair of HD598s and they are fantastic. However, I also have a pair of HD515s that are very, very good too.  In fact, if you blindfolded me and asked me to tell which one I had on (the 598s and 515s), I would have a hard time telling the difference between the two.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #3,493 of 7,535
It's my understanding that one side of the detachable cable is 2.5mm and the other is 6.3mm. It also comes with an adapter from 6.3 to 3.5mm. Can someone please confirm? Thanks.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3,494 of 7,535
Hate to rain on your parade, but the E6 is a neutral amp. You might just not be used to a flat response. Go on FiiO's website, and it clearly has a flat response... Unless you turned the EQ switch on. The EQ switch is a bass boost. Might want to turn that off if you have it on right now...

Yup, I realise that and I've always been using the neutral setting for e6, even with my AD700. Interestly enough, I must say after using the HD598 for a longer time, it does sound better with the amp than without, but I can't pinpoint what it is, something seems to be missing when I plug it to the e6 amplifier. I am still new to the world of audiophiles, so I am still slowly learning.

My question is, the O2 amplifier being a neutral amp, would it sound like Fiio e6?

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #3,495 of 7,535

Yup, I realise that and I've always been using the neutral setting for e6, even with my AD700. Interestly enough, I must say after using the HD598 for a longer time, it does sound better with the amp than without, but I can't pinpoint what it is, something seems to be missing when I plug it to the e6 amplifier. I am still new to the world of audiophiles, so I am still slowly learning.

My question is, the O2 amplifier being a neutral amp, would it sound like Fiio e6?

With the O2 you should get a much better soundstage and overall "fuller" sound. The E06 is not a very powerful amp, the O2 is, so it can drive your HD598 with more authority. 

I would say: you will definitively hear a nice improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back