Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,436 of 7,535

I actually did get a short cable, but is there any way to just get the metal adapter itself?  a 2.5 male with 3.5 female. No cable just an adapter like the one that comes with the headphones but smaller obviously and with locking mechanism. Or does it matter if it has the locking mechanism if it fits?

Thanks again :)

Sorry, I've no idea. 
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #3,437 of 7,535
  Has anyone seen where to buy a connector with the 2.5mm male locking mechanism to 3.5mm female? I have bought cables for this in the past but was thinking to use a boompro with these but it has a 3.5mm male jack.

I can find the 2.5mm adapter for cabling but not the male/female in one.

I was thinking something like this, not sure if this one would work however as it has no locking mechanism (does that even matter?) and it may be too thick.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-2-5mm-Male-to-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Audio-Headphone-Jack-Adapter-Converter-/281228211665?

You need to be concerned with the diameter of the connector. There is no clearance for a bigger connector on the 598s. The one you linked to looks like it is the diameter of the 3.5mm all the way. That would be too large.
kev

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #3,438 of 7,535
i was wondering if these might be worth the buy if i already own HD 380s.

the reason i ask is because i would like a wider sound stage, especially for gaming, but im concerned about the openness and sound leak. i use headphones late at night often while my wife's asleep, so this could be an issue.

would 598s be a suitable upgrade from 380s?

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #3,440 of 7,535
  i was wondering if these might be worth the buy if i already own HD 380s.

the reason i ask is because i would like a wider sound stage, especially for gaming, but im concerned about the openness and sound leak. i use headphones late at night often while my wife's asleep, so this could be an issue.

would 598s be a suitable upgrade from 380s?

If you are in the same room as her then it's a definite no for you. K550 would make a better choice in that regard.
However if you are in seperate rooms then it wont be any louder than the sound of button mashing or mouse clicking frenzies. (of course that applies if you play the volume at below inhumane volumes)

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #3,441 of 7,535
I've owned the 598s for a year now, and they were one of my favorite headphones up to buying the hd 600s. The 598s have a wider soundstage & more comfortable fit/clamp, but there are quite a few areas in which they can't compete with the 600s. For instance, the 600s are more balanced, so you can listen at higher volumes without feeling as if the mids are over-presented. A lot of people say the 598s are brighter, but I disagree heavily. Overall, the 600s are more lush & detailed without being fatiguing. Some would say more analytical. It's actually one of the captivating aspects of them as I'm noticing more details in my music now. The timbre on the 600s just sound more accurate & refined. You'll notice this, for instance, when you compare violins on both cans. There's slightly punchier bass on the 600s & while the mids aren't as prominent as with the 598s, I think they can be quite intimate and plentiful. They're more neutral. There's also better instrument separation & the soundstage is actually quite good.

Both cans do not fatigue my ears with high frequencies. I'm particularly sensitive to that aspect which is why I've had to return the ATH-m50s, AKG K 240 mKII, & the AKG K 612s. If you aren't sensitive to a brighter headphone, I would say the 612s are actually quite good, especially for the price. The other issue I had with them was their large earpads, as they are dependent very much on positioning and I think they feel a bit awkward with all of the extra space. Sennheiser 598/600 pads make the most sense to me.

The 598s are great with both movies & games. That's what I primarily use them for as they are accommodating with glasses. I don't use the 600s with glasses since I don't like how indented the pads get since there's a stronger clamp. I just use them for music, close my eyes, and get lost in the music.

Thanks for the lengthy description. Much appreciated.

I do love the HD 600 that's for certain :). Sometimes I just feel like it might be fun to have a pair of headphones with a bit of a larger soundstage. I guess the 600 doesn't have a "bad" soundstage, but it can just feel kind of narrow at times (makes them more, as you say, intimate, though). Would you use the HD 600 with movies and games if they didn't bother you while wearing glasses or do you feel that the 598 is superior for this purpose?

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #3,442 of 7,535
  If you are in the same room as her then it's a definite no for you. K550 would make a better choice in that regard.
However if you are in seperate rooms then it wont be any louder than the sound of button mashing or mouse clicking frenzies. (of course that applies if you play the volume at below inhumane volumes)

would the K550s be a significant upgrade from HD 380s? 

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,443 of 7,535

would the K550s be a significant upgrade from HD 380s? 

I can't speak for the K550s. If they're as detailed as the AKG k 240 mkII or K612, they're definitely going to be brighter than the 380s. The reason I would stay away from the Sennheiser hd 380 pros is that their earpads are crap. They eventually will flake. The 280s went into quite a few recording sessions and different hands and nothing happened with the pads. I'm just disappointed that Sennheiser would add subpar quality pads to what was supposed to be an upgarded 280 pro. However, if you are willing to find replacements, they may be worth it. I remember the 380s having a pretty good soundstage but they were also pretty laid back.

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #3,445 of 7,535
I have had both. The biggest difference would be the soundstage. The grado close you in a box compared to the sennies, albeit a very pleasant box. Another thing that I distinctly remember is the great amount of detail the grados. Both have a similar amount of bass, mids are also more alike than different, but the treble on the sennies is rounder and softer.
In comfort the HD598 wins hands down as to me they are more comfortable than the much lauded HD600.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #3,449 of 7,535
  is there a video somewhere with someone actually using these? i would like to see/hear how much they leak at certain volumes. i tried searching but couldn't find anything. 

They leak a fair amount.  At higher volumes you shouldn't have any issues picking out the vocals from more than a few feet away.  It's on par with any other open headphone on the market.  Better leak quality than ibuds at least. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back