Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3,421 of 7,535
A few pages back people are discussing driving these. I just picked up a fiio e18. That shows a headphone impedance range of 16-150 ohms. I would imagine that this could comfortably drive the HD 598 right?

Easily, it can also drive an HD600 even though it's 300 Ohms. I know this from personal experience.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #3,422 of 7,535
One other question. I tend to listen to rock/metal. I hear these might not be the best option. I have the TDK BA200s and the vmoda m80s. I find the M80s lack clarity while the ba200s don't have quite enough bass. Don't get me wrong, I love them both. Now I want a pair of open cans and I am hoping to find the clarity of the ba200s with a bit more bass and a bit more fun. Do you think these will fit the bill?

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #3,423 of 7,535
One other question. I tend to listen to rock/metal. I hear these might not be the best option. I have the TDK BA200s and the vmoda m80s. I find the M80s lack clarity while the ba200s don't have quite enough bass. Don't get me wrong, I love them both. Now I want a pair of open cans and I am hoping to find the clarity of the ba200s with a bit more bass and a bit more fun. Do you think these will fit the bill?

The FiiO E18 has a bass boost switch that works rather nicely. This should bring up the bass of the HD598 and keep the sound of open cans.

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3,427 of 7,535
I have the HD598 and they sound great. Now I have an itch and some money to move to a different headphone. Thinking HD650 or HE 500. Not sure if it would be worth the move, still trying to decide. Most of my music is compressed (AAC and MP3), so I'm not sure if the headphones I have are where I should stay.

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #3,428 of 7,535
Are these the best headphones for under $200. I know I'm likely to get biased answers. I'm using in-ears right now - the V Sonic GR07 - and have been thinking about switching to full sized for a completely neutral pair that is as accurate as can be for under $200. I wonder if these might be a little outdated since they came out around 3 years ago. They're so sexy lol.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3,429 of 7,535
Hey chuck8403,

The idea that compressed music sounds that much worse than lossless music and formats is mostly just placebo. Many tests with FLAC and MP3 320 kbps proved unsuccessful with good headphones. As long as you have the songs in 256 VBR or 320 kbps, you should be fine. If you're still worried, just find a trial program online that'll let you try the phones for a month or something similar.

All the best,
Garraty

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3,430 of 7,535
  Are these the best headphones for under $200. I know I'm likely to get biased answers. I'm using in-ears right now - the V Sonic GR07 - and have been thinking about switching to full sized for a completely neutral pair that is as accurate as can be for under $200. I wonder if these might be a little outdated since they came out around 3 years ago. They're so sexy lol.

I don't know if they're the best headphones under $200, but they're definitely a pretty good contender. These phones won't be as exciting as some of the other phones but they have a wonderful forward midrange and an amazing soundstage at this price that can contend to those of the HD 600's and 650's.

I would not say that these phones are exactly, totally neutral as they are mid-centric but they do present each part of the music wonderfully and faithfully with a bright, warm presentation. If you're looking for something similar and can save up a bit more, the AKG K701/702's can be a great option as well.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #3,431 of 7,535
Has anyone seen where to buy a connector with the 2.5mm male locking mechanism to 3.5mm female? I have bought cables for this in the past but was thinking to use a boompro with these but it has a 3.5mm male jack.

I can find the 2.5mm adapter for cabling but not the male/female in one.

I was thinking something like this, not sure if this one would work however as it has no locking mechanism (does that even matter?) and it may be too thick.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-2-5mm-Male-to-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Audio-Headphone-Jack-Adapter-Converter-/281228211665?

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #3,432 of 7,535
Sennheiser made a shorter cable replacement for the HD 5x8 series that terminate into a 3.5 jack; here's the link:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-high-end-surround-sound-hd-598 (the cable is below, where the section is named accessories and the sub-section cables)

Hope this helped! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #3,433 of 7,535
  Sennheiser made a shorter cable replacement for the HD 5x8 series that terminate into a 3.5 jack; here's the link:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-high-end-surround-sound-hd-598 (the cable is below, where the section is named accessories and the sub-section cables)

Hope this helped! 
biggrin.gif

I actually did get a short cable, but is there any way to just get the metal adapter itself?  a 2.5 male with 3.5 female. No cable just an adapter like the one that comes with the headphones but smaller obviously and with locking mechanism. Or does it matter if it has the locking mechanism if it fits?

Thanks again :)

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #3,434 of 7,535
First looked at these a few years ago, but never actually tried them. A few months ago I bought the HD 600, but I still want the HD 598 (that color) :). I'm just kind of wondering whether the purchase of a pair of HD 598 is actually justifiable. As far as I'm reading the main difference is the soundstage; it's larger and has more depth on the 598. In addition to this, they are supposedly also brighter than the 600.

I'm thinking that the 598 might be better for movies and games (due to the larger soundstage) and possibly some genres of music? Does anyone here have both?

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,435 of 7,535
First looked at these a few years ago, but never actually tried them. A few months ago I bought the HD 600, but I still want the HD 598 (that color)
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm just kind of wondering whether the purchase of a pair of HD 598 is actually justifiable. As far as I'm reading the main difference is the soundstage; it's larger and has more depth on the 598. In addition to this, they are supposedly also brighter than the 600.

I'm thinking that the 598 might be better for movies and games (due to the larger soundstage) and possibly some genres of music? Does anyone here have both?

Thanks!

I've owned the 598s for a year now, and they were one of my favorite headphones up to buying the hd 600s. The 598s have a wider soundstage & more comfortable fit/clamp, but there are quite a few areas in which they can't compete with the 600s. For instance, the 600s are more balanced, so you can listen at higher volumes without feeling as if the mids are over-presented. A lot of people say the 598s are brighter, but I disagree heavily. Overall, the 600s are more lush & detailed without being fatiguing. Some would say more analytical. It's actually one of the captivating aspects of them as I'm noticing more details in my music now. The timbre on the 600s just sound more accurate & refined. You'll notice this, for instance, when you compare violins on both cans. There's slightly punchier bass on the 600s & while the mids aren't as prominent as with the 598s, I think they can be quite intimate and plentiful. They're more neutral. There's also better instrument separation & the soundstage is actually quite good.

Both cans do not fatigue my ears with high frequencies. I'm particularly sensitive to that aspect which is why I've had to return the ATH-m50s, AKG K 240 mKII, & the AKG K 612s. If you aren't sensitive to a brighter headphone, I would say the 612s are actually quite good, especially for the price. The other issue I had with them was their large earpads, as they are dependent very much on positioning and I think they feel a bit awkward with all of the extra space. Sennheiser 598/600 pads make the most sense to me.

The 598s are great with both movies & games. That's what I primarily use them for as they are accommodating with glasses. I don't use the 600s with glasses since I don't like how indented the pads get since there's a stronger clamp. I just use them for music, close my eyes, and get lost in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back