Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3,286 of 7,535
Quote originally Posted by kartoonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi friends im planning to get the Senn HD 598 or m50. I wanted to know how will psy/goa, & commercial trance will sound with the Senn's HD598??

You should consider the Sony MDR-V6. I like them more than the M50. Better detail and clarity.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #3,287 of 7,535
You should also try the Yamaha HPH-200.  They sound better than any of the cans mentioned here and are cheaper too.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #3,288 of 7,535
  You should consider the Sony MDR-V6. I like them more than the M50. Better detail and clarity.

The MDR-V6's lack the wide soundstage and the clear treble of the HD598's. I hardly ever use the V6's anymore. YMMV.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3,290 of 7,535
I am looking to buy a pair of HD 598.  I used to own a pair of Grado SR-225i.  Would you guys consider the 598s an upgrade?  Or same level just different sound?  I listen to a lot of classical and jazz.

I also have read in many reviews that the 598s are good sounding but "boring".  What does that mean?  Like flat response?  I also have a pair of Sony 7506 that are pretty flat response.  Would I appreciate the 598s?  I just find the closed headphones not very comfortable after an hour or so.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,291 of 7,535
  I am looking to buy a pair of HD 598.  I used to own a pair of Grado SR-225i.  Would you guys consider the 598s an upgrade?  Or same level just different sound?  I listen to a lot of classical and jazz.

I also have read in many reviews that the 598s are good sounding but "boring".  What does that mean?  Like flat response?  I also have a pair of Sony 7506 that are pretty flat response.  Would I appreciate the 598s?  I just find the closed headphones not very comfortable after an hour or so.

Is a V or U shaped FR exciting because they clobber the mids and make the trebles sound unnatural, fech??? The HD5x8 series have a flat FR and a great soundstage. I'd think that the soundstage sounds more exciting that a U or V shaped FR.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #3,292 of 7,535

I wouldn't pay any attention to people complaining about "boring" sounds coming from open-back Sennheisers.  They're just used to frequency imbalance.
HD598 will be better than SR225 in some ways.  I consider HD558/598 better suited to jazz and classical than any SR Grado could ever hope to be due to their more balanced responses and ability to make strings, vocals, woodwinds, etc., sound more believable and natural to a degree.  Grados can't ever do that, even with equalization.  There's something special about the drivers in HD558/598/580/600/650 and PX100/200, in my opinion.
Also, perhaps someone accustomed to the more aggressive sound attack and energetic nature of Grados might find open-back Sennheisers a little "boring" at first as they have a more "peaceful" sound and "relaxed" sound attack.  Combined with a deeper, not-in-your-face soundstage, Senns seem like quite the opposite of Grados.
If you don't mind 7506's balance, you'll probably like 598.  If you almost end up loving 598 but get put off by the bright treble that I've read that it has, give 558 a try.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #3,293 of 7,535
The Sennheiser's and Grado's compliment each other really well. One ambient and relaxing sounding headphone while the other is straight up energetic and more silly fun sounding.

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #3,294 of 7,535
Boring? That's the absolute last word I would even consider using about the HD 598s! I think they are very fun and detailed and worth a listen nomather how high-end stuff you've tried before, I love mine!
- And if comfortability is what you are looking for, these are definitely it, I prefer wearing these over wearing nothing, haha! :p
One thing to note though. These aren't for bassheads. The bass is there and you can easily hear, but it's not strong.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #3,295 of 7,535
They're really boring for some rock bands.. the drums just sound yucky. lol.

Btw, I like these with female vocals.. extremely so.. but male vocals for some reason.. not as much?

Anyone else been having this issue? 

For the EQer's out there... what have you tried that worked?

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #3,296 of 7,535
  Boring? That's the absolute last word I would even consider using about the HD 598s! I think they are very fun and detailed and worth a listen nomather how high-end stuff you've tried before, I love mine!
- And if comfortability is what you are looking for, these are definitely it, I prefer wearing these over wearing nothing, haha! :p
One thing to note though. These aren't for bassheads. The bass is there and you can easily hear, but it's not strong.

That's just the word a few reviews used to described them.  Good sound but boring.  I am trying to pick between K550s and HD598s.  Another thread on here I read comparing these two had the K550 being slightly more recommended and superior headphones.  I am just afraid of the closed cans because I have the Sony 7506 and my ears gets "damp" after long listening because of no airflow.  So I am leaning towards the HD598s for now.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #3,297 of 7,535
  That's just the word a few reviews used to described them.  Good sound but boring.  I am trying to pick between K550s and HD598s.  Another thread on here I read comparing these two had the K550 being slightly more recommended and superior headphones.  I am just afraid of the closed cans because I have the Sony 7506 and my ears gets "damp" after long listening because of no airflow.  So I am leaning towards the HD598s for now.

Well, if you like the feel and sound of open headphones, go with the Senns. I don't know why K550 seems to be more recommend to you, but I promise you that the HD 598s is a great set of cans and they have got so much more to them than you'll hear at your first go with them. These really need your full attention when listening due to their amasong amount of detail - put on something that is mastered really well, sit back in your good chair, close your eyes and just pay attention to the music. That have saved my day several times, haha! Wish you luck with whatever you deside to buy! 
atsmile.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,298 of 7,535

I just got a these headphones, not so long ago, and I really have to tell you that they aren't boring. Yea, they are not the best at Metal (even though some songs do sound above average), but it does sound really good with almost every genre I through at it, even some Hip-Hop! :)

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #3,299 of 7,535
I just got a these headphones, not so long ago, and I really have to tell you that they aren't boring. Yea, they are not the best at Metal (even though some songs do sound above average), but it does sound really good with almost every genre I through at it, even some Hip-Hop!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hip-Hop, really? Haven't tried using the Senns for that yet, perhaps I should. I've been using my Superlux HD 681 EVOs for modern music and bass-heavy stuff so far... 
smily_headphones1.gif

- Check the Superluxs out btw, they are an absolute STEAL! 
beyersmile.png

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #3,300 of 7,535
Hip-Hop, really? Haven't tried using the Senns for that yet, perhaps I should. I've been using my Superlux HD 681 EVOs for modern music and bass-heavy stuff so far... :)

- Check the Superluxs out btw, they are an absolute STEAL! :beyersmile:  

+1 for the Evo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back