Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,271 of 7,535

Look legit to me.

I've got ask.  What kind of cord connector do the fakes have?

I would guess they would either have a built in non-removable cable,
or if they spent the time/money one of the official sennheiser ones.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3,272 of 7,535

Look legit to me.  

I've got ask.  What kind of cord connector do the fakes have? 

I think I remmeber its a non removable cable with the stress reliever at the headphone part of the connection terminated to a 3.5 mm jack

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #3,274 of 7,535
One last question, guys. So, I've been listening to my HD598's almost non-stop, with the E11, and it seems like the headphones sound better when I put my E11 on High Gain, I could hear the background singers/vocals, more... I'm not sure if it's just in my head or what... Does anyone know if they actually do improve with High Gain? :p

Edit: I know it gets louder, but even when I put the volume down a bit, it sound better.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #3,275 of 7,535
One last question, guys. So, I've been listening to my HD598's almost non-stop, with the E11, and it seems like the headphones sound better when I put my E11 on High Gain, I could hear the background singers/vocals, more... I'm not sure if it's just in my head or what... Does anyone know if they actually do improve with High Gain? :p

Edit: I know it gets louder, but even when I put the volume down a bit, it sound better.

Maybe a blind test? I don't know. But glad you like it! Just listen at whatever gain you like just make sure you don't turn the volume way too loud which may cause hearing damage and destroy the headphone's driver faster xD

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #3,276 of 7,535
30%? That's not what I would call a "subtle" difference! How far apart were mfg. dates? Is there a known design change that accounts for the difference? Anyone else have this experience?

kev

I had about 1,500-1,800 hours of listening on my first pair (while studying for my nursing degree) so I was very familiar with their sound signature. When I got my second pair, I used the exact same computer, audio files, amp, dac, listening environmemt, etc and I immediately heard about 30% more bass. I was pretty shocked and the only thing I can attribute it to is either manufacturing variances or the difference between a new vs used pair. Maybe the burn-in theory is true? I don't know how far apart they were manufactured, but the time interval buying them was about two years.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,277 of 7,535
I had about 1,500-1,800 hours of listening on my first pair (while studying for my nursing degree) so I was very familiar with their sound signature. When I got my second pair, I used the exact same computer, audio files, amp, dac, listening environmemt, etc and I immediately heard about 30% more bass. I was pretty shocked and the only thing I can attribute it to is either manufacturing variances or the difference between a new vs used pair. Maybe the burn-in theory is true? I don't know how far apart they were manufactured, but the time interval buying them was about two years.

Could be those things you mentioned.

Also, companies are known to make changes to their products over time, ones that they don't always announce. Take for example the differences in sound between the early black silk drivers vs the current white silk drivers in the HD600. The change was totally on the downlow until users started noticing the difference. Even then, I'm not sure if Sennheiser officially acknowledged that any change took place.

Could even be an unintended effect that can enexpectedly crop up when switching suppliers.

Not saying that's what's happening, but it's on the list of possibilities.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3,278 of 7,535
Maybe a blind test? I don't know. But glad you like it! Just listen at whatever gain you like just make sure you don't turn the volume way too loud which may cause hearing damage and destroy the headphone's driver faster xD

might have to do that! Yea, I never listen to music over 45% volume, sometimes at 50% (of my ipod), but no more. :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #3,280 of 7,535
Do the HE-500s have more pronounced treble than the 598s?

The HE-500 treble is fairly subdued but pleasant. It doesn't really draw attention to itself and is well integrated into the sound. Somewhat subdued, however, compared to a lot of other cans out there. I like the sound of the HE-500 a lot (I am fairly sensitive to treble and don't like it too hot).

The treble on the HD598 may be a touch more lively. Like on the HE-500, it doesn't draw undue attention to itself. Neither of the two phones are silibant to my ears and both have trebles that are balanced and well integrated into the overall sound. Both are pleasant to listen to and give the sense of being "right" with the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Overall, the sound of the HE-500 is more refined, as one would expect given the price difference.

With the HE-500and HD600 in the house, I find I only really use the 598 for the sake of variation. Not as my main phones.

But if they are your main set of cans, they are still a fine, very worthy choice.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,281 of 7,535
I also own the HE 500s and I used to own the HD 598s. IMO, the HD 598s are a wonderful choice for full time listening. Both cans have a very natural sounding tone and they are good all rounders. The HE 500 just really pulls away from the HD 598s in terms of detail and mid range presentation. I understand the mids are also a strong point in the HD 598s, but those planars take em to a new level. Sorry, thats just the difference between low-fi and mid-fi. There are things I liked about the 598s more though. For one I thought they sounded more airy and effortless. Listening to them is so easy and non-fatuiging. They are also slightly more comfortable, as the HE 500s have trouble fitting me just right (have to mess with em a bit to get a good fit). I also love that the HD 598 sounds excellent out of an ordinary iphone. This is important to me recommending them to RL friends who want to get into the hobby. They just buy the headphones and they dont really need to buy anything extra.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,283 of 7,535
hi friends im planning to get the Senn HD 598 or the ATH m50. I wanted to know how will psy/goa, & commercial trance will sound with the Senn's HD598??

IMO, bass heavy music does not fare the best on the 598, as I feel it is a bass light 'phone. That makes electronic/bass heavy music sound boring and ininvolved to me.

OTOH, the M50 is too bright to my ears, so the 598 will win every time.

IMO, YMMV, Etc.

I would say to try to audition both of them (if possible) before making the purchase.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3,284 of 7,535
  hi friends im planning to get the Senn HD 598 or the ATH m50. I wanted to know how will psy/goa, & commercial trance will sound with the Senn's HD598??

It would probably sound just fine, but you wont get that booming, club-like bass.  I probably wouldn't recommend HD598s if that the main music you're going to be listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back