Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #61 of 7,535
Hmm, interesting about the 448.  That is a much better design IMO.  The swivel would actually reinforce the weakest point of the whole design.  It seems like obvious cost cutting by an accountant to me.  Better plastic might solve the issue though it is a poor engineering design to begin with.  The cheapest build materials are on my Koss ESP950 but I never worry about them breaking just by putting them on.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #62 of 7,535

Quote:
I also asked the same thing, for a serial number or anything, but havn't recieved an answer yet. I am still with the broken pair.
confused_face.gif

well they (sennheiser) said that 'this was and early problem and the replacement pair you should get should have the new material'

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #64 of 7,535
Well, when they said that, my pair had only 8 days and was already cracked on both sides, so...

Quote:
well they (sennheiser) said that 'this was and early problem and the replacement pair you should get should have the new material'

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #66 of 7,535
Good luck with yours, and i hope this issue is really solved once and for good, cause its what i want too.
smile.gif

Let us know if they look any different than the ones in my photos. Like different material texture or color tone. Oh and enjoy them cause they sound great.

smile.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #67 of 7,535
well don't quote me but i'm pretty sure that its also dependent on ur supplier and when they got their stock of 598's, i got my hd 558's around Christmas and yup, they have em sooo ya... T_T

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #69 of 7,535
So these are my first real cans so I can't compare them to anything and I don' tknow a lot, I also only got to really play with them a little last night.  Too me they sounded great, the bass really good to me and i dno't know who can complain, unless you want something really bass heavy.  The mids and highs, to me at least, sounded nice and natural,  and this is just plugged right into a 10 year old receiver ( i plan to get the E11 amp and a new receiver in the future). 

I played a train song my wife plays all the time through my 3.1 system in 2.1 mode (not a high end system polk audio monitor 60's with a cs20 center), and right away I heard parts I never noticed before, gave my wife a try and she heard it as well.

I played the first few minutes of Star Trek (the new one )  and wow the soundstage is great, it almost did seem like there was surround sound with the positioning. 

My only problem is I need a cord extender as the receiver to where I sit, it isn't enough =)

I am happy and look forward to listening more, tonight I know i will be using them 

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #70 of 7,535
To all HD598 owners; with a song with a strong bass line has anyone experienced distortion from an earcup??

When listening to 'Angel' by Massive Attack and other similar bass heavy songs, there is a small rattle from the right cup, and not the left on my set. 

ATM, I am gonna use the warranty to fix this, but I am concerned that the drivers used for the headphones are very easy to stress.

Any feedback is helpful

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #71 of 7,535
I did not had such problems, usually i listen on flat, no corrections at all, but out of curiosity i pushed them on the bass side by using the Loudness button or increase it with 4-6-8db. They still work properly. Maybe you were unlucky and had a defective driver.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #72 of 7,535
Headstar, would it be possible for you to try that particular Massive Attack song with the various bass boosts, and if you experience no rattling whatsoever, then I'll return them as defective. Just wondering because I tried it with another song with a juicy bass line (Namida by Reso) and even on Bass Boost Level 2, no rattling. Thanks for such a quick response as well. 

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #74 of 7,535

[size=medium]
@Neceo, I too have found most bass heavy songs work, and the ideal theory is that the bass Massive Attack used in that album was hi-gain, undetailed but powerful. But this would mean that both earcups should be distorting.

The other theory is that my amp is clipping, or something like that. My Fiio E7 has been giving a distorting crackle when I change between bass boost levels, so this could be it. But again, why would only 1 earcup give a slight rattle? Or is that irrelevant?
Any ideas/responses regarding this?
[/size]

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #75 of 7,535
I just listened Angel by MA, and still no distortion. If i cranck the bass too much, it only affects the clarity, making the sound muddier, but the bass its still bass, heavy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back