Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #5,746 of 7,535

I've actually had the chance to listen to a variety of Sennheiser headphones at my local media store. The unfortunate part is that many of the display models come with the obvious problems of being that. For example, I've tried the HD 600 there and they sound and look absolutely horrible, but I've got no idea how much of that is due to it not being new. I wish I new a dedicated place for headphones around here, but all I can think of is a particular HiFi store, the kind of place where anything below 400 bucks will get you The Stare. I will keep browsing around this place though!

The 518, 558, and 598 all sound increasingly better from what little I could tell in the store. By just how much though, I can't tell within the few minutes of testing I can do in that local environment, plus the fact that I can only use the propietary sample music tests provided there or my phone, which obviously doesn't come close to anywhere I'm using these most of the time (my computer).

HD 600 should not sound horrible due to being used.  It's high impedance, so if you had it directly connected to your phone, its amp is likely too weak to power it, causing it to sound crappy.   If it was connected to the store's amp, might also be too weak, or might be something wrong with that display model.  I'd ask a store rep if they're supposed to sound that crappy or is something wrong with them.  Small chance they may swap them out with a new pair.  Unlikely though.

Take as much time as you need in the store listening.  They can stare all they want.  I doubt anyone will tell you that you're taking too long.  They ought to know that guys with headphones are like women with shoes! lol

If you have a premium phone, it should sound pretty good with most low impedance cans.  At least you're using the same device when comparing all cans, and that's what really matters.

Of course, if you need more time alone with them, and hooked up to home gear, try to buy from a store, local or online, with a good return policy.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #5,747 of 7,535

Wish I could tell you.  This chap did a tear down of the HD518 and I believe that's why everyone states the drivers are the same.  You really can't go wrong with the 598, but if you're thinking about upgrading then it may be worthwhile tinkering a little bit with your 518 first. 
wink.gif

Well, I just failed at the grill mod. After finding out how to unscrew the driver successfully,  no matter how hard I pushed and continued to preen the glue off, the grills wouldn't move a millimeter away from the rest of the casing. I gave up because I don't want to risk breaking anything. Thanks for the tip anyway.

In general, I think I'm gonna keep the 598SE on my watch list until something better in the ~150€ category arrives.

HD 600 should not sound horrible due to being used.  It's high impedance, so if you had it directly connected to your phone, its amp is likely too weak to power it, causing it to sound crappy.   If it was connected to the store's amp, might also be too weak, or might be something wrong with that display model.  I'd ask a store rep if they're supposed to sound that crappy or is something wrong with them.  Small chance they may swap them out with a new pair.  Unlikely though.

Take as much time as you need in the store listening.  They can stare all they want.  I doubt anyone will tell you that you're taking too long.  They ought to know that guys with headphones are like women with shoes! lol

If you have a premium phone, it should sound pretty good with most low impedance cans.  At least you're using the same device when comparing all cans, and that's what really matters.

Of course, if you need more time alone with them, and hooked up to home gear, try to buy from a store, local or online, with a good return policy.

Nah, that HD 600 was definitely defunct. It wasn't just a case of being a little too quiet, but it also had lots of noise and missing lows and highs. Like setting a radio to an slightly improper signal, for lack of better description. I mean, it sounded worse than the 10€ Philips headphones on the other end of the shelf (they were sorted by price).

Though I'm not really a store person anway, so I guess I'll go the quiet-time route. Maybe order a bunch of headphones from Amazon, only to send them all back, jerkish as it might be. :V

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #5,748 of 7,535
Though I'm not really a store person anway, so I guess I'll go the quiet-time route. Maybe order a bunch of headphones from Amazon, only to send them all back, jerkish as it might be. :V

Jerkish?  Maybe.  But Amazon and other retailers as well as manufacturers need to understand that headphones are extremely subjective, both in fit and comfort and sound quality.  It's no different than buying shoes or clothes from Amazon, which they offer free returns on by the way.  Plus, the prices already factor in returns and resale of open box items, so no need to feel guilty about it.  Ultimately, the end consumers end up paying for everything.

I think a more Jerkish move is to go to a store, listen to the display models, and then go home and buy ones you liked at the store, from another store online.  However, if the store isn't willing to price match their competitors, when requested, that's their problem if they lose the sale.

Just my 2 cents.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #5,749 of 7,535

So long as you pay the return postage it's not jerkish at all.  If you lie and say there's a problem/defect to get free returns, that is jerkish.  Amazon is not a lending library, although most everyone seems to use it as such.

It may sound harsh, but like was stated in the post above prices are inflated (or "factored in") because everybody takes advantage of the lax return policies.  Ask yourself if it feels right to do it, then you have your answer.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #5,750 of 7,535

So long as you pay the return postage it's not jerkish at all.  If you lie and say there's a problem/defect to get free returns, that is jerkish.  Amazon is not a lending library, although most everyone seems to use it as such.

It may sound harsh, but like was stated in the post above prices are inflated (or "factored in") because everybody takes advantage of the lax return policies.  Ask yourself if it feels right to do it, then you have your answer.

Yeah, I don't mind paying return postage.  It's only fair.  Plus, I did have the cans to enjoy, or at least try out, for a few weeks at home, so that's worth the return postage IMO.

Agreed lying and saying they're defective when they're not in order to get free return postage is a totally jerkish move.  Hopefully not too many people do that.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #5,751 of 7,535
I was in my local best buy a couple weeks ago checking out cans, and didn't notice any Sennheisers or any other premium brands like AKG or Beyerdynamic.  Then, again, the one I went to didn't appear to have a Magnolia section.

At your best buy, were the 598s on display with all the other mainstream cans, or were they on display in the Magnolia section?  Did you see any other premium brands on display?

Reason I ask is if BB Magnolia has premium HPs on display, then I need to find a local BB with Magnolia, and go check it out.

They were in the magnolia section, but the last best buy magnolia I went to didn't have them, just the 558s. They also had bowers and wilkins, sennheiser momentums, and a few other higher end (for best buy) cans.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #5,752 of 7,535
I think a more Jerkish move is to go to a store, listen to the display models, and then go home and buy ones you liked at the store, from another store online.  However, if the store isn't willing to price match their competitors, when requested, that's their problem if they lose the sale.

Just my 2 cents.

Actually that's what I did with my HD 598. I auditioned them in the Sennheiser store one time, then bought them online at Amazon.

Granted, I didn't do it on purpose. I was at the store because I meeded a cable for my Momentums and they had the HD 598 for free testing and when I auditioned I enjoyed what I heard. However, the official price for the HD 598 in Mexico, is about MXN 6,000 (that's almost 300 dollars!), which is not only higher than the price at Amazon, but even higher than their real price in the US. So when I had the opportunity to get a pair for only one third of that price, it was a no-brainer.

To be honest, I did feel like a jerk and I'm looking forward to at least buy some accesories there, to make up for what I did. After all, I've paid them several visits and auditioned their cans without buying more than one cheap cable a few months ago.

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #5,754 of 7,535
Actually that's what I did with my HD 598. I auditioned them in the Sennheiser store one time, then bought them online at Amazon.

Granted, I didn't do it on purpose. I was at the store because I meeded a cable for my Momentums and they had the HD 598 for free testing and when I auditioned I enjoyed what I heard. However, the official price for the HD 598 in Mexico, is about MXN 6,000 (that's almost 300 dollars!), which is not only higher than the price at Amazon, but even higher than their real price in the US. So when I had the opportunity to get a pair for only one third of that price, it was a no-brainer.

To be honest, I did feel like a jerk and I'm looking forward to at least buy some accesories there, to make up for what I did. After all, I've paid them several visits and auditioned their cans without buying more than one cheap cable a few months ago.

Yeah, that's different.  I'm talking about those that go to the store to listen with no intention of buying from them AND not even giving them a chance to price match.  If they can't price match, that's their problem.  Best Buy in the US used to not price match online retailers like Amazon.  They were losing business like crazy, and now they do.

Your situation is quite different, and I would've done the same in your place.  One should always go for the best deal.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #5,756 of 7,535
@VeggiePopper @LazyListener Personally, if a store has a listening point set up for general use then I don't see any problem with listening without intent to purchase.  If you make them open a box or waste some time in a listening room or something then I'd say that's different.  When I visited Verkkokauppa I did try to get them to price match but they would only do that with stores inside of Finland (not Amazon) - I'd never seen them advertise that, so it's good to know.  I think I got what my evil self deserves though because I'm pretty certain Amazon sent me an open-box HD700 when I paid for new. 
tongue.gif

@paulguru No experience with the AudioEngine N22 amp.  I had a quick look and it seems the output impedance is 4.7ohms which, for the HD598, should be fine (1/8 rule).  The signal-to-noise ratio seems quite poor at >95dB but only your own ears can tell you if the signal is clean enough.  If you don't already have the N22 then, based on technical specs alone, there are probably better pairings if you have/want the 598.  Also, remember the N22 is just an amp and not a DAC.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #5,758 of 7,535

What changed?  Did you hit the magic 34 hour burn-in mark?  I usually don't do this but I'm going to make a prediction: you will end up preferring your 598 to the 600.

So I'm not amazed by the HD600's... For gaming at least I think the 598 are more immersive with a noticeably wider sound stage. The 598's are definitely warmer and there is a little extra detail on the 600. I'm not blown away by the 600's like I thought I might be. They do pick up a little extra detail on music but in games, even at the same volume as the 598's, gun shots are too crisp and hurt my ears. I've only spent a few hours with the 600's so maybe I'll have to give them some time. Also my amp has just been sent back due to a faulty LED so I'm running both with my Soundblaster Z (Apparently can do 600Ohms). I'll try them out with the amp next week but atm I'm leaning towards the 598's :)

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #5,759 of 7,535

So I'm not amazed by the HD600's... For gaming at least I think the 598 are more immersive with a noticeably wider sound stage. The 598's are definitely warmer and there is a little extra detail on the 600. I'm not blown away by the 600's like I thought I might be. They do pick up a little extra detail on music but in games, even at the same volume as the 598's, gun shots are too crisp and hurt my ears. I've only spent a few hours with the 600's so maybe I'll have to give them some time. Also my amp has just been sent back due to a faulty LED so I'm running both with my Soundblaster Z (Apparently can do 600Ohms). I'll try them out with the amp next week but atm I'm leaning towards the 598's :)

Very helpful, thanks.  I don't game, but I've been considering the 600s for music due to the seemingly universal praise they've gotten over the years.  If the 600s hurt your years in any way, then I probably won't be a fan of them, as I think the 598s have just the right amount of treble energy for my tastes.  Also, soundstage is very important to me, and many have said the 600's soundstage is smaller.

I actually think the 598s may be the most perfectly tuned headphone for my taste.  Mostly neutral, with a slight warmth down low, slight bump in the female vocal range, and slightly subdue highs.  Also love the fact that they never shout at you or cause listening fatigue.  Someone in another thread actually suggested the HD 650 over the 600 for my preferences.  Sadly, out of my price range right now.

However, depending on the amp, the 600s may sound very different.  Amp/headphone pairing is crucial.  So definitely let us know how they sound with the amp and some more hours on them.

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #5,760 of 7,535
I've also been considering upgrading my Fiio E10K to get the most out of my 598s.  To me, the Fiio sounds a little bright and is lacking some bass quantity and quality.  I know the 598s don't require much power, but I know an amp can improve sound quality noticeably, regardless.  I think I'd prefer a small, usb-powered, DAC/AMP combo.  I've been reading a bit about the Dragonfly, the Audioengine D3, and the Apogee Groove.  Many describe the D3 as having a warm, punchy, analog sound which I like, but with the 598 already being on the warm side of neutral, not sure it would be a good pairing.  Anyone have experience with any of these 3 and the 598s?  Any others I should consider that are a good match with the 598s?  Again, requirements are small (no bigger than E10K) form factor and powered by USB.  $300 is the absolute limit of my budget right now.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back