Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3,571 of 7,535
I had the same, didn't realize that the cable was in fact not properly inserted all the way. I would try a few times, if that doesn't help return them and get a new pair.

Cheers,
K

it's not the cable. seems like my new motherboard's onboard audio is killing headphones. even the grado 60i has the same issue now.
anyway, gave the 598's for replacement. even the guy at the service center noticed this issue.
my replacement will arrive in 2 weeks.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #3,572 of 7,535
  it's not the cable. seems like my new motherboard's onboard audio is killing headphones. even the grado 60i has the same issue now.
anyway, gave the 598's for replacement. even the guy at the service center noticed this issue.

In what way? @.@ 

The SR60i have no damping factor issue or whatsoever. So it cant be related to sound 

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #3,574 of 7,535

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Maybe a power issue on the headphone out? Something must be seriously wrong if your motherboard or power supply kills headphones. It takes a lot to kill a headphone driver. I wouldn't use any headphone with this motherboard directly, use a small DAC or DAC/amp via USB so you have natural buffer between the power from motherboard and the headphones.

Cheers,
K

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3,575 of 7,535
Hmm... That really sucks man.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #3,576 of 7,535
Whats the issue?
Damping factor is when the output impedance of an amp is too high for a low impedance headphone such as the HD598 and SR60i. It may affect the frequency respond of the headphone or speaker depending on the headphone's impedance at certain frequencies.

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #3,577 of 7,535
Whats the issue?
Damping factor is when the output impedance of an amp is too high for a low impedance headphone such as the HD598 and SR60i. It may affect the frequency respond of the headphone or speaker depending on the headphone's impedance at certain frequencies.

channel imbalance.
left channel sounding a little louder say by 5% than the right.
this one guy told me to just change the balance in the settings. and also he said -that it's rare to find a headphone without channel imbalance.
how true is that?

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #3,578 of 7,535
Do you have any other source to test with? Your phone? Does it still have the channel imbalance? There are a lot of possible reason why it's imbalance:
1) the jack was not plugged in fully
2) the setting of your soundcard (possibly, for your case). You have have tuned the balance a little
3) due to driver failure

I can't think of any thing that could permanently damage the balance in volume of a headphone other than that and unless you drop it?

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,579 of 7,535
I can't think of any thing that could permanently damage the balance in volume of a headphone

I agree. Not by 5%.

I could believe distortion or one channel cutting in/out, but not a very slight volume difference.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it could also be your imagination. Once you first hear a song with a slight imbalance, you can become obsessed with it and detect it all the time even if it doesn't exist.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #3,580 of 7,535
I dropped a screw into the driver dome of an aluminium driver of a DR150, lost a lot of volume and all the bass of that driver. I guess it's cause the driver is dented and can't push out the low frequencies anymore. Big price to pay for such a simple mistake 
frown.gif

My tube amp currently has about a 2.5db boost to the left channel, good thing my DAC can compensate for this in the settings.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,581 of 7,535
He has already exchanged them so it really doesn't matter what caused it or "if" it was his imagination does it? He'll find out as soon as the replacement pair comes in. Also, even the customer service rep noticed the imbalance, so I doubt it's his imagination.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #3,582 of 7,535
I am looking to sell my HD598 if anyone is interested.
Wore them maybe 20 times total. Look brand new. 

$140
let me know if interested,.

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #3,584 of 7,535
okay guys so i recently got the hd 598 and i am having issue with the volume of these headphones being low. I have never really owned headphones before but i do have the cx 300 ii and to me they sound much louder and better:/ do these headphones require an amp and dac (not familiar with these things as i am new to this stuff). I have used the headphones with my pc, nexus 4 and ipod nano 3rd generation to me these sound really quiet as compared to my cx 300 ii. I am willing to get the omni 5.1 soundcard as it has an 600ohms built in headphones and i am only gonna use it with  my pc. Have you guys experienced any difference between using an amp/dac with the hd 598? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back