Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #301 of 7,535
Jul 16, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #302 of 7,535

Thank you for the link, it was very informative. you've definitely given me something to think about.

At 50 ohms, the 598 is relatively low impedance, but looking around the Internet, so are most of the other headphones in this class (Denon D2000, Shure SRH840, AKG K-701 to name a few). What's interesting is that my ER-6's don't bloom at all (I actually add some bass for more enjoyment), and they are only 16 ohms.

So, is there more to it than just impedance, or do you think a high impedance headphone would possibly be the solution? Should I expect these other headphones to react similarly?

I could return the 598's and exchange them for something like the 600 ohm Beyer DT880's.

What do you think?

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #303 of 7,535

Quote:
What do you think?

Two things.  One, figure out why the Carver sounds the way it does w/ the 598 and act accordingly.  Two, try out a bunch of phones and see if you like those better.  Just too little information for someone to figure out what you are hearing and why.  There is obviously a difference between what you are hearing from two different setups.  Without knowing 'why' you could mess up the other system while fixing synergy w/ the carver.  Who knows.    

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #304 of 7,535
Two things.  One, figure out why the Carver sounds the way it does w/ the 598 and act accordingly.  Two, try out a bunch of phones and see if you like those better.  Just too little information for someone to figure out what you are hearing and why.  There is obviously a difference between what you are hearing from two different setups.  Without knowing 'why' you could mess up the other system while fixing synergy w/ the carver.  Who knows.    

I hear what you're saying and agree.

Unfortunately, it was not my intention for headphones to become a hobby - I am simply looking for a way to enjoy my music on my Carver system after hours. I never really plan on using them downstairs, so messing up the other system isn't a concern.

I may decide to start buying (and exchanging) headphones (I wish there were brick and mortar stores that had them to demo) until I find a good match, but then again, maybe I can live with just turning the bass down. I'll have to do some soul searching.

Anyways, thanks for you input, it was helpful and I appreciate it.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #306 of 7,535
I'm thinking about getting the HD598 and a Fiio E7. I've never listened to any "expensive" headphones before... the best headphones I've heard are my current ones... Sennheiser PX100's.

Will I be blown away by the difference?

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #307 of 7,535
I have both HD 598 and PX100-II. The difference it's huge. Especially on the treble/clarity side. While the bass it's not kicking as strong as on PX100, it weights more and has much better quality on HD 598.

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #308 of 7,535

Quote:
I have both HD 598 and PX100-II. The difference it's huge. Especially on the treble/clarity side. While the bass it's not kicking as strong as on PX100, it weights more and has much better quality on HD 598.

They are several tiers apart, why wouldn't the difference be huge? Lol. Comparisons are better made between cans of similar tiers/pricerange.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #309 of 7,535

Quote:

Could you elaborate more on the bass? The HD 598 isn't as strong, but it weighs more? Does that mean it extends more? I have the PX100-II, and am thinking about getting the HD 598 sometime in the future.

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #310 of 7,535

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the HD598 and a Fiio E7. I've never listened to any "expensive" headphones before... the best headphones I've heard are my current ones... Sennheiser PX100's.

Will I be blown away by the difference?

Depends on what your definition of blown away is...  It'll be better, but don't expect a Yugo to a Ferrari comparison.  

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #311 of 7,535
Yeah. Unlike PX100-II, the HD 598's bass is more like a background addition, it goes well with the rest of the range, not the dominant factor. But at the same time, it is capable to produce lower frequencies than PX does. And of course its not bloated/boomy! Unlike...
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Could you elaborate more on the bass? The HD 598 isn't as strong, but it weighs more? Does that mean it extends more? I have the PX100-II, and am thinking about getting the HD 598 sometime in the future.

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #313 of 7,535
Is there any difference in performance between the HD 598 and the 595? Housing is different but specs are very similar...

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #314 of 7,535

Compared against its predecessor, the HD 598 offers an improved spatiality as well as better reproduction of lower frequencies. You should hear a more engaging sound with improved bass and mids. 

Quote:
Is there any difference in performance between the HD 598 and the 595? Housing is different but specs are very similar...

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back