Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #226 of 7,535
Yep, I have all of them.  Skip the E7 if you dont want to use the headphones with a computer, get the E11 instead.  

the only time you should be using the E7 is with a computer, by itself its pretty great but comboed with the E9 its pretty amazing and an excellent deal.  If you plan on a purely portable experience and dont plan to connect to a computer, then just get the E11.  The E11 is pretty awesome but its not a dac, the E7 is partially an amp, and partially a dac so this really depends on what you plan to use it with.  

Yes, the e7 and e9 combo is significantly better at least IMO.  Considering the E9 can be purchased used for like $100 here on head fi, thats a damned great deal .

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #227 of 7,535
I'm kinda hesitant to buy these headphones. I've heard nothing but good things about the sound quality, but sounds like the build quality (busted drivers, cracking headbands) doesn't match. I have my gift card in hand. Should I go for it?

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #229 of 7,535
Dont let that sway you from buying, every set fails eventually.  I cant speak for the headband cracking issue as to me the headband seems very soft and pliable...but the drivers rattling or anything like that is somewhat rare, but not unheard of.  

Its possible its my own fault anyway, like I was saying in my thread topic about it, I was recommended a standard 2.5mm cable to replace the stock one, it seems any old 2.5mm cable will not work on the hd598 and could cause problems since the stock cable is proprietary.  Its a TRRS but a special one, not a standard 2.5mm end.  The same thing happens with my Spider Realvoice Iems for example, they simply do not work on certain amps and cause loud popping sounds on my Fiio E11 and E9, but out of my fuze or direct connection to my pc tower they work just fine

I say go for it, the HD598 is without question my favorite open back set outside of the expensive Beyer T1.  Its unlike most sets out there, its so smooth and relaxing, very forgiving and just a pleasure to listen to.   I wish sennheiser would give us a shorter cable though.  Outside of that, I've no bad things to say about it.

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #230 of 7,535
I'm kinda hesitant to buy these headphones. I've heard nothing but good things about the sound quality, but sounds like the build quality (busted drivers, cracking headbands) doesn't match. I have my gift card in hand. Should I go for it?

The cracking headbands issue was resolved quite some time ago (late last year) by Sennheiser themselves.. they rebuilt the headband with a stronger material and retroactively offered free exchanges for those who's bands did crack.  Since their resolution, I haven't heard of one person having the issue reoccur.

Re: the busted drivers.. I think I've seen one or two people with the issue and that's cause they were playing with the plugs.. if blown drivers were a serious issue, I'm sure we'd here from a lot more people about it.

I ordered my 598 through jr.com a few months ago and haven't had any problems whatsoever with them.  Build quality or otherwise..

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #231 of 7,535

Quote:

The cracking headbands issue was resolved quite some time ago (late last year) by Sennheiser themselves.. they rebuilt the headband with a stronger material and retroactively offered free exchanges for those who's bands did crack.  Since their resolution, I haven't heard of one person having the issue reoccur.

Re: the busted drivers.. I think I've seen one or two people with the issue and that's cause they were playing with the plugs.. if blown drivers were a serious issue, I'm sure we'd here from a lot more people about it.

I ordered my 598 through jr.com a few months ago and haven't had any problems whatsoever with them.  Build quality or otherwise..

Thanks. I'll probably go ahead and order them then. Waiting for JR to get them back in stock.

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #232 of 7,535
I wish sennheiser would give us a shorter cable though.  Outside of that, I've no bad things to say about it.

Agreed.. after these burn in for 30 or 40 hours, they become more sensitive and turn pretty DAP friendly.. I rarely use them amped now, actually.. so a long cord is useless (just provide a high quality IC, Sennheiser!).  Making the standard plug an 1/8" is irksome too.. the Cardas 1/8" to 1/4" right-angle adapter took care of that though.. that needs to be standard issue with these phones.

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #233 of 7,535
Thanks. I'll probably go ahead and order them then. Waiting for JR to get them back in stock.

Be sure to order by phone from JR.com.. they always say call for a better price.. I paid close to $180 shipped after calling them.. that's a fantastic price for these phones.

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #234 of 7,535
Ya ^

the sad part about a cable replacement is that the entry way is so immensely tiny, NOTHING fits it but that stock cable.  I've tried many cables, the closest to it is an AKG replacement cable, its the same general shape and size but a bit too fat to fit into the entry way.  So that coupled with proprietary wiring in the stock 2.5mm end makes it impossible to replace the cable

like i said i had a special 2.5mm cable made for it, it could be what caused my "mini blow out"
because it isnt a normal 2.5mm jack on the 598 earcup

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #235 of 7,535
Really enjoying these phones.  I sold my LCD-2 about two weeks ago to recoup some funds and decided to get a "budget" phone like the HD598.  After a week with them, these are pretty incredible for $180.  The mids and sound stage are especially great for the price.  I've tried classical (Mahler), acoustic stuff (Sun Kil Moon) and rock (Black Sabbath) with them and haven't been disappointed. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #236 of 7,535
thats good to hear! i have a pair coming too lol

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #238 of 7,535
Great. After all the research, indecision, flip-flopping, I decide to pull the trigger on the HD 598 and check with JR - they don't have them and they are "on order". The pump has been primed if you know what I mean, do I suck it up and pay $235 at Amazon or do I wait? Does anyone know what "on order" might mean time-wise with JR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back