Sennheiser HD 598 as first pair of headphones
Mar 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 31
I know the 598's look fancy and all, but can't you mod the 558's (like the 555's) to perform similarly to the 598's?

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #17 of 31
You can't. 598 totally different interior components than 558. While the 555 and 595 where completely identical without the foam piece.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #18 of 31
I know the 598's look fancy and all, but can't you mod the 558's (like the 555's) to perform similarly to the 598's?

No need to get 558 if you want 598 sound. Call jr.com and you can get 598 for $170 which is lower than typical 558 online price!

This hp needs amp if you play music on iPod/iPad. It doesnt sound horrible without one, but the vocals come alive amped.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
No need to get 558 if you want 598 sound. Call jr.com and you can get 598 for $170 which is lower than typical 558 online price!

So do I have to call them to get the 598's for that cheap? The site says $250 :s

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
So do I have to call them to get the 598's for that cheap? The site says $250 :s

Yes. You can even call them and get the HD-650 for as low as $329. I don't even want to know how much they are on their website!
Too bad they no longer carry the HD-600.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
You can't. 598 totally different interior components than 558. While the 555 and 595 where completely identical without the foam piece.

Actually, the components in 598 and 558 are completely identical. They even have the same numbers on them. The only difference is the mesh grill on the back of the two headphones,  and of course, 558's have the rubber thingy.  After thats removed, 558 and 598 sound almost identical, the only difference being that 558's have a little bit more bass. But the difference is SOOOOO TINY that you actually wouldnt notice it without very careful A-B tests. In other words, you wont be thinking "oh i wish these 598's had more bass".
I'd definitely go for the 558's. Heck, i'd even go for 558's over the 600's, because the difference in sound is very very small (with proper source and amp), so small in fact that i think its not worth giving even 10 bucks extra for 600's, let alone 150. Differences between these headphones ($150-300) are actually very small, much smaller than people say, audiophiles seem to exaggerate things quite a lot .

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
Actually, the components in 598 and 558 are completely identical. They even have the same numbers on them. The only difference is the mesh grill on the back of the two headphones,  and of course, 558's have the rubber thingy.  After thats removed, 558 and 598 sound almost identical, the only difference being that 558's have a little bit more bass. But the difference is SOOOOO TINY that you actually wouldnt notice it without very careful A-B tests. In other words, you wont be thinking "oh i wish these 598's had more bass".
I'd definitely go for the 558's. Heck, i'd even go for 558's over the 600's, because the difference in sound is very very small (with proper source and amp), so small in fact that i think its not worth giving even 10 bucks extra for 600's, let alone 150. Differences between these headphones ($150-300) are actually very small, much smaller than people say, audiophiles seem to exaggerate things quite a lot .

I'd say thats about 95% right.  The difference for me modding the 558 versus the stock 598 is how the different grill on the back of the 598 gives it a bit more air and a slightly wider soundstage.  Detail sounds just a fraction of a hair crispier from the extra air and separation.  The 598 is definitely breathing a little easier due to the grill.  YMMV.  

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:

I guess, whatever floats your boat.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

I disagree when you said the difference between 558/598 and 600 sound is very very small. For me no contest, the HD600 is simply a class above (properly amped), not to mention they are not as colored as the 5x8.

You can also get a used HD580 in good condition for $170ish, and if your amp is up to task, it sounds very similar to the HD600 and IMO better than the 5x8.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #25 of 31

Sorry, i wanted to say the whole thing, including the plastic case & metal grill, not the driver alone. There is a bit of a difference in what's behind the driver from 598 to 558.
smile.gif

Quote:
Actually, the components in 598 and 558 are completely identical.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #26 of 31
Having the same internals doesn't mean you get the same sound. I thought people would know this by now? The difference between what's behind the drivers should be enough to make them sound different. That being said, I dunno how good a modded HD558 sounds, but I found the HD598 to sound absolutely mid-fi, and should stack up well to mid-fi faves. I just think they are ugly as sin once you actually see them in person. To say images flatter them is an understatement.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
Having the same internals doesn't mean you get the same sound. I thought people would know this by now? The difference between what's behind the drivers should be enough to make them sound different. That being said, I dunno how good a modded HD558 sounds, but I found the HD598 to sound absolutely mid-fi, and should stack up well to mid-fi faves. I just think they are ugly as sin once you actually see them in person. To say images flatter them is an understatement.

I agree.  In fact, it was probably the looks like made me decide to stay w/ my modded HD558 instead.  I like leather and wood on phones but not faux versions done in plastic so obviously.  Quite tacky IMO.  For about $120 approaching about 95% of the HD598, depending on how you weight things, I'd say that's impressive.  

I wish Senn would be more conservative w/ appearances as you move up the line.  Or are you supposed to shell out for an Orpheus to get a good looking Sennheiser?  I don't mind the HD800 industrial machined look so much though.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #29 of 31
I agree.  In fact, it was probably the looks like made me decide to stay w/ my modded HD558 instead.  I like leather and wood on phones but not faux versions done in plastic so obviously.  Quite tacky IMO.  For about $120 approaching about 95% of the HD598, depending on how you weight things, I'd say that's impressive.  

I wish Senn would be more conservative w/ appearances as you move up the line.  Or are you supposed to shell out for an Orpheus to get a good looking Sennheiser?  I don't mind the HD800 industrial machined look so much though.

Are you using your modded 558s for gaming? The 598 was a dream for gamers, and I have no doubt the modded 558 should be quite up there too.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you using your modded 558s for gaming? The 598 was a dream for gamers, and I have no doubt the modded 558 should be quite up there too.

I got it to be a portable open phone that I could use for LAN parties once I do the boom mic mod.  So yeah for gaming, plus it's great for classical orchestral stuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back