Sennheiser HD 595's Dying or Dead? New headphones I'm thinking
Jun 21, 2010 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bcurko

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's 3-4 years ago and I think they are dead or broken,... one side of the headphones is all crackly and crap. So I'm in the market for a new set of cans $100-$300 I'm thinking Sennheiser again.. . Mainly for music and counter strike source..
What should i be looking for? Also I have no headphone amp atm so its all onboard sound :frowning2:

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 27
If you did have an suitably powerful amp, then I assume that the natural suggestion here would be the HD600 or HD650, if you like the SQ of the Senn's. However, if you want the neutral presentation of the HD600's with a touch more bass and a little less soundstage - all the while much easier to drive and for less than $150 - the Shure SRH840's may be a good way to go. Really well-made cans that should last you a long time. :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 27
I got this reply from another forum,

I'd be springing for the AD900's ($323) given your budget. They are a decent all rounder and certainly better than your HD595's. They are an excellent gaming headphone and the model up from the AD700's ($145) which are the default recommendation for gaming on most forums you find.
I have owned the AD900's at one point in time but have since moved onto greener and more expensive pastures ;D

What should i get?

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 27
Forget the Sennheiser HD6X0 series for gaming. The AD700 is probably a stellar choice as lots of people like them for gaming.

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 27
o hai thar ;D

Quote:
I got this reply from another forum,

I'd be springing for the AD900's ($323) given your budget. They are a decent all rounder and certainly better than your HD595's. They are an excellent gaming headphone and the model up from the AD700's ($145) which are the default recommendation for gaming on most forums you find.
I have owned the AD900's at one point in time but have since moved onto greener and more expensive pastures ;D

What should i get?

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 27
Haha, hi again, I replied to your thread on another forum, and still recommend the AD900s :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 27
You shall fall comfortably in the HD600.  It has the Signature midrange that all Sens have
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 27
The 600 is out due to no amp and being grossly overpriced in Australia =p

Quote:
You shall fall comfortably in the HD600.  It has the Signature midrange that all Sens have
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 27
To answer your question i have asked on other sites to attain a wider variety of user opinions and choices.. on some forums they have stated different advice so I like to cross reference things and then determine what choice to make :). People are telling me to consider trying to get my HD 595's fixed (if i can?) I think they are actually dying.. but nevertheless I think if I do replace mine I will go for the AD900s. Seems to be a lot more people favouring them for what I need and reviews are pretty good as well.

Just a real general but silly question, if I do upgrade to the AD900s what sound differences am I going to notice the most? I have no idea how frequencies and such affect headphones so... can someone break it down for me to show what the AD900's have going for them that make them superior to the rest.

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 27
From what I understand. The entire AD line of cans has an entirely different signature.  For gaming, the best.

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 27
I did some more listening to the German Maestro Pro 435S and it's a very stellar choice when you're ampless. I have them on loan from German Maestro, perhaps you can ask to loan them too? At least consider them!

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #13 of 27
The soundstaging when gaming will probably be an immediate noticeable improvement other sound quality improvements might take a bit more time. This is just purely speculative so take it with a grain of salt if you will. Also the AD900's are sensitive to positioning on your head, from memory I believe they should be positioned forward & down with your ear resting on the back of the pad. This article might be worth a read as it does explain headphone positioning rather nicely.     

Quote:
To answer your question i have asked on other sites to attain a wider variety of user opinions and choices.. on some forums they have stated different advice so I like to cross reference things and then determine what choice to make :). People are telling me to consider trying to get my HD 595's fixed (if i can?) I think they are actually dying.. but nevertheless I think if I do replace mine I will go for the AD900s. Seems to be a lot more people favouring them for what I need and reviews are pretty good as well.

Just a real general but silly question, if I do upgrade to the AD900s what sound differences am I going to notice the most? I have no idea how frequencies and such affect headphones so... can someone break it down for me to show what the AD900's have going for them that make them superior to the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back