Sennheiser HD 580 and amplification
Mar 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eirepaul

New Head-Fier
Hello all - I have had Senn HD580s for several years and never used them much because I was never blown away by their sound (used with a Adcom pre-amp).  I want to start using them more and now realize they need a well-matched amplifier to get the best out of them.  I know there have been many discussions about this subject, but my main point here is I want an amp that will drive them with ease and also counteract the phones laid back sound somewhat.  I just want to ensure I don't get an amp that will emphasize the "laid back" sound.

My source is a Denon universal player and I prefer a slightly brighter sound.  Please provide your opinions on a good amp match, given my preference for a smooth, but detailed and slightly bright sound.

So far, I have researched amps such as Headroom Micro and Desktop, Schitt Asgard and Avenson Amp.  Like the price of the Asgard but opinions vary as to a good match for HD580.  Leaning towards the Desktop but a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Thank you.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
How much are you willing to spend on amps? 

Up to $1,000 for exactly the right match - but I would obviously prefer to pay less.  I keep reading that the HD580s are pretty power hungry, which seems to generally mean a beefy amp, meaning a bit more money.  This is why I have been leaning towards the Headroom Desktop vs Micro, for example.  Makes sense?

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Then get a solid state amp.

I agree with this. 

No need to make any "Tweaks" if you get a SS amp such as the HA-160, which excels with Senhhs and have lots of power. 
Priced around $700. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Sounds like this could be a good tweak for me.  I don't have the 580s with me right now - is this easy to do?

Yes. Pop off the pads by gently pinching one side then pulling gently, or gently pushing both long sides towards the center 'til you bend the plastic frame and they come off. Next just pull that foam sheet between the driver and your ear, put the foam back in, and voila! Also, contact Sennheiser or search eBay and get the HD600 grills to compliment this mod, that way you not only remove the foam that veils the driver (and mostly the treble) but you also free up air movement behind the drivers.

Quote:
eirepaul said:
Yes - I am staying away from tube amps because of this.

Not all tube amps have drastically rolled-off treble or sound nasal. My Little Dot MkII was fairly transparent; instead of a roll-off it simply smooths out rough edges, ie, just drives the cans better. Only sold it because my Marantz CD60's headphone out was enough for the HD600, and the MkII only adds that tiny bit of smoothness. Although with densely-layered passages wtih Distortion-effects on all guitars, the sound of the MkII was closer to the sound of a Mesa Boogie or Marshall; the CDP on its own was a little grainy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back