Sennheiser HD 555 - dropping screws into magnet?
Mar 31, 2011 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JudgmentZefhyr

New Head-Fier
As the title states, while I was trying to mod my Sennheiser HD 555, I accidently dropped the screws into the magnet. I managed to get them out but I'm wondering if this would damage the headphones?

Other than the fact I had screws scraping against the magnet, they also pushed the thin veil above the magnet downwards. Does this thin see-through veil do anything that affects the sound quality or is it just there to block the magnet?

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm guessing the thin veil you're talking about is the diaphragm.  It's just there to push air and make sound. . . I think.  If it's not torn then it's probably not going to effect the sound.  Every diaphragm I've seen has been so incredibly fragile that I'm surprised yours didn't tear.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Maybe he's talking about the famous Sennheiser veil. Someone's finally found it! 
biggrin.gif

To the OP, if you can't see any physical problem like a tear in the diaphragm, and don't hear anything wrong, then it's unlikely you've done any real damage. But keep those screws away from the magnets in future! 

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 5
Ah, thank you for the information. It looked fragile at first but it appears to be quite strong from what I can tell. Would the fact that I had the headphones plugged in and on while this all happened affect anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back