Sennheiser HD 518 or Grados SR80 for Rock and Electronica.
Dec 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

musicfreak4000

New Head-Fier
Which Headphones are best suited for both rock and electronica. I listen to hard rock as well as death metal, grunge and alternative metal.. I also love electronica like house, electro, and trance

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 12

HD518's are outclassed by a country mile by the SR80i's ~ even for electronic.

As for rock, metal ~ it's not even a contest.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 12
I've heard a lot that the SR80's are good for rock and metal and sennhiesers 518 go good with electronic music. The thing is I can't buy two headphones at the moment so I want to know from audiophile gurus which cans of these are great for both metal and electronic music or is it that they are genre specific.  

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I've heard a lot that the SR80's are good for rock and metal and sennhiesers 518 go good with electronic music. The thing is I can't buy two headphones at the moment so I want to know from audiophile gurus which cans of these are great for both metal and electronic music or is it that they are genre specific.  

Yep ~ mutually exclusive in my opinion.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Unfortunately between these two you will have to choose which genre you like most... HD518 for electronica and the SR80i for metal. Between the two I would go for the Grado's hehe! Afaik the Grado's are shipped with the flat pads, you might want to try the L-cush pads with these.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 12
When you get them you should quarter mod them. Everything gets more clear and less muffled, the treble gets smoother and the bass extends much lower and and has more punch to it (which makes it better for electronica). Or you could spend an extra $20 and get the L-cush and also get a larger soundstage. But don't get the G-cush because it adds a lot of sibilance and distortion.   

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 12
This thread is nuts. The hd518 kills the Grado in detail so as far as all genres in general is concerned, the hd518 is much better. But if you want things to be more congested and thick, the sr60s win. Now, so far as the sr60e's are concerned I am buying one for nostalgia sake so I may say I like them more at first but I have a feeling they won't compete with senns in the detail department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back