Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #466 of 566
I returned my HD490 Pro. As I've written before, I still think all in all it's a decent headphone. It has an amazing build quality, light on the head, the new cable connection is much better than anything Senn offered yet, and it sounds good - for the most part. It has an even and balanced sound profile, not harsh, not analytical, not warm - sounds like a reference headphone in a certain way. But, for my primary purpose, which is to monitor the voice work. It's good, but not good enough. I'm missing the micro details or the micro rhythm of the spoken languages. In comparison, HD6XX series have slightly better micro details and more textured tonality. But, for everything else HD490 Pro is better - especially the build quality. Soundstage isn't good on either, but perhaps a hair better on HD490 Pro. But, mainly I was trying to replace my trust old MDR-7506 just because the closed nature of it - it produces too much heat and the ear cups are too small, which create discomfort after a few hours. I can wear HD490 Pro longer and more comfortably than MDR-7506. But, my well broken 7506 is better at monitoring the spoken voices for me at the end.

All in all, I still think it's a great phone. I thought of keeping it just because it's so comfortable and it's built well. I really like the cabling system. But, it cannot to replace my old MDR-7506 for my primary usage. And, I have HD800S on my music rig, which is just another level compared to HD490 Pro. And, I already have way too many headphones I never use.. So, HD490 Pro went back.

The micro details are masked somewhat by the rubber foam over the drive capsule. Remove it and replace it with silk mesh. This will make the 600/650 sound a bit smoother or too smooth in comparison.

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #468 of 566
Does the 560S not sound tinny anymore?
So out of curiosity I bought another. This is the supposed revision, with the shorter cable that terminates in a 3.5 with an adapter on it. I don't know what they did, but it doesn't have the tinny voices that really annoyed me before. It's not as revealing as an HD600 or similar, but the cohesive, even keeled nature of the sound is very compelling even without the technical superiority of the 6 series. I could see this being most people's stopping point for headphones in the general public. I would instantly recommend it now.
I'm very curious to hear the 490 pro now if they're somewhat similar and the 490 pro is indeed an upgrade on this sound.

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #469 of 566
So out of curiosity I bought another. This is the supposed revision, with the shorter cable that terminates in a 3.5 with an adapter on it. I don't know what they did, but it doesn't have the tinny voices that really annoyed me before. It's not as revealing as an HD600 or similar, but the cohesive, even keeled nature of the sound is very compelling even without the technical superiority of the 6 series. I could see this being most people's stopping point for headphones in the general public. I would instantly recommend it now.
I'm very curious to hear the 490 pro now if they're somewhat similar and the 490 pro is indeed an upgrade on this sound.

When you say technical superiority you have to be specific about what that means. When I think of technical categories, I think of things like width, height, depth, imaging etc - the subjective things that contribute to overall resolution. If this definition fits your idea of technical aspects I would not agree the 6 series are superior to the 490.

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #470 of 566
When listening to Spiral from Coltrane off of the Giant Steps album it becomes so apparent that the 600/650 cannot produce bass notes with the texture and detail of 490. Paul Chambers work on that track just give the track such a solid foundation that gets the toes tapping and pulls you into the performance.

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #472 of 566
When you say technical superiority you have to be specific about what that means. When I think of technical categories, I think of things like width, height, depth, imaging etc - the subjective things that contribute to overall resolution. If this definition fits your idea of technical aspects I would not agree the 6 series are superior to the 490.
I think he wrote about the 560-S, not about the 490 Pro.

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #473 of 566
I personally think HD490 Pro is better than HD600/650. Especially HD600, which now days is built like a $30 headphones. The recent cables Senn include is a joke. A real joke. Personally, I'm quite sure it does not cost more than $25 to produce it these days. HD490 Pro on the other hand is built much better. In fact I think it offers the best build quality under $800. Sound wise, HD490 Pro sounded better to my ears - more even, but HD600 series has a tad more detail.
FYI Focal Clear OG can be had new for around 800, Meze 109 is also around that price and NDH 30 is quite a bit lower than 800. You sure 490 has the best build compared to those? If yes why?

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #474 of 566
Feb 18, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #475 of 566
"even without the technical superiority of the 6 series."
Yes, but he was comparing the 560-S to the 6 series, not the headphone of this thread. Look again at his post and what he quoted... I realized that even without looking at the quote, because he posted about the cable that was changed in the 560-S silent revision.

And also look at the end of his post, is very obvious :wink: (like in the spanish horror film "El hoyo")

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #476 of 566
Yes, but he was comparing the 560-S to the 6 series, not the headphone of this thread. Look again at his post and what he quoted... I realized that even without looking at the quote, because he posted about the cable that was changed in the 560-S silent revision.

And also look at the end of his post, is very obvious :wink: (like in the spanish horror film "El hoyo")
yea you're right. reading is fundamental lol. my bad

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #477 of 566
I personally think HD490 Pro is better than HD600/650. Especially HD600, which now days is built like a $30 headphones. The recent cables Senn include is a joke. A real joke. Personally, I'm quite sure it does not cost more than $25 to produce it these days. HD490 Pro on the other hand is built much better. In fact I think it offers the best build quality under $800. Sound wise, HD490 Pro sounded better to my ears - more even, but HD600 series has a tad more detail.
I only have the HD 650 from the 6## series (and the HD-580 Precision that started it all). I don't know about the recent cables of the HD 600, if they are the same like the recent cable of the HD 650 they are just fine - though the cable of the first 650 (2003) is a little thicker and heavier and still intact on my first pair after 20 years of heavy use. The original cable of the HD 580 (1996) was rather poor/thin but lasted, however, about 20 years.

Apart from the cables I can hardly understand your comment about build quality comparison. When I had the HD-490 Pro in my hands (for about an hour) I changed the ear pads 2-3 times and observed the build quality. It was very good and sensible but not better than the HD 650 which looks/feels slightly more expensive and solid inside, though less modern. I could see where corners had been cut for cost control in the HD 490 but Sennheiser generally designs/makes headphone parts masterfully and there are no week parts; everything is solid and functional. The build quality is high an I expect the HD 490 to be as durable as the HD 650. The high build quality is visible in the old HD 580, too. I would never describe anything in the 6## series as a $30 headphone. I would rather say that construction wise they are all a very good case of a $300-400 headphone (including the HD 490).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #478 of 566
If only these reviewers weren’t NDH 30 snobs then they would have had a better apples to apples review of the HD490.
Exactly. In the right system NDH30 is not that far from Utopia in the overall musical reproduction (when I say close I mean I can switch from Utopia to NDH30 and continue to be immersed in music without looking to switch back). PBD dac + balanced Headamp amp work really well with NDH30 (and Utopia).

Those reviewers either don’t know how to listen critically, have access to subpar gear (most use midfi dacs) or are totally in the pockets of advertisers and their sponsors.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #480 of 566
I only have the HD 650 from the 6## series (and the HD-580 Precision that started it all). I don't know about the recent cables of the HD 600, if they are the same like the recent cable of the HD 650 they are just fine - though the cable of the first 650 (2003) is a little thicker and heavier and still intact on my first pair after 20 years of heavy use. The original cable of the HD 580 (1996) was rather poor/thin but lasted, however, about 20 years.

Apart from the cables I can hardly understand your comment about build quality comparison. When I had the HD-490 Pro in my hands (for about an hour) I changed the ear pads 2-3 times and observed the build quality. It was very good and sensible but not better than the HD 650 which looks/feels slightly more expensive and solid inside, though less modern. I could see where corners had been cut for cost control in the HD 490 but Sennheiser generally designs/makes headphone parts masterfully and there are no week parts; everything is solid and functional. The build quality is high an I expect the HD 490 to be as durable as the HD 650. The high build quality is visible in the old HD 580, too. I would never describe anything in the 6## series as a $30 headphone. I would rather say that construction wise they are all a very good case of a $300-400 headphone (including the HD 490).
You haven't seen the latest HD600. The cable is thin and cheap, and the plastic housing has hard edges around the adapter. And, the holes around the adapter is not precise. On some units the holes are too small, so the thicker HD650 cables don't even fit. I suppose sound is still the same, but the build quality is a total junk in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back